Highlighted
Simon12345
Level 2: Rookie

Unfortunately, Bluetooth has stopped working message

Answered

Hello,

Two weeks ago I bought a pair of wireless headphones to use with my Samsung Galaxy S5. Up until Saturday night everything worked fine. On Saturday night I received a message stating ‘Unfortunately, Bluetooth has stopped’ this message appears every couple of minutes and I can only stop the message from appearing by turning the Bluetooth off.

I have tried clearing the Bluetooth cache and restarting the phone but the message continues to come up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Unfortunately, Bluetooth has stopped working message

Hello Simon,

I have most model Galaxy's but not a S5.

Can you try and delete or forget the bluetooth connection if you are able to, switch the phone off, remove the battery for 3 minutes and re-boot and start again.  If that is not possible.....

I think that you will need to do a Master/factory reset.

Please be sure to back up everything to another Samsung phone, using Samsung Smart Switch, or if that's not possible, Samsung Kies,  their version of iTunes).

Samsung do not have a lesser reset like Apple.

I think that is your next option

Cheers

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Redtail
Accepted Solution

Mine started with the same error of the weekend.  Telstra S5, bought only a few weeks ago.

I've tried all of the above, except for the factory reset.  Samsung are advising that course of action (I've raised a support request with them).  I will try that, and see what happens.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Hello Simon,

I have most model Galaxy's but not a S5.

Can you try and delete or forget the bluetooth connection if you are able to, switch the phone off, remove the battery for 3 minutes and re-boot and start again.  If that is not possible.....

I think that you will need to do a Master/factory reset.

Please be sure to back up everything to another Samsung phone, using Samsung Smart Switch, or if that's not possible, Samsung Kies,  their version of iTunes).

Samsung do not have a lesser reset like Apple.

I think that is your next option

Cheers

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
CWSB
Level 1: Cadet

I am so pleased to hear someone else has experienced the identical error I started to receive on Sunday morning.

A little puzzling as  I have not installed any additional apps or software and my S5 is original (not rooted) and on Telstra firmware.

I have tried clearing cache and also data in Bluetooth App info without any success.

I have tried forgetting all Bluetooth connections, even with nil devices paired the problem continues to exist and frustrate.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to complete a factory reset if it is not going to fix this newly arrived problem.

Thanks in advance.

ddsmall2000

Yes i also started having the same issue from Saturday night on my Telstra issue S5. A quick google search seems to give no real soultions to this problem.
Simon12345

Thanks for your advice Professor.

unfortunately this hasn't solved the problem (I haven't done a factory reset yet).

In some ways its good to know that others are having the same issue and it started to occur at the same time (makes me thing this issue is not with the actual hardware). Does anyone know how I find out if there was an over the air upgrade done on Saturday?

Thanks Simon

Redtail
Accepted Solution

Mine started with the same error of the weekend.  Telstra S5, bought only a few weeks ago.

I've tried all of the above, except for the factory reset.  Samsung are advising that course of action (I've raised a support request with them).  I will try that, and see what happens.

SteveD2

I have a samsung Galaxy S5 and also had this problem. I deleted the Telstra app and just reinstalled it.

This has fixed my issue.

Simon12345

Hi SteveD2

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have deleted the telsta apps (Telstra and the 24x7 app) an hour ago so far so good.

I will see if the bluetooth signal survives the train trip home and give an update.

Thanks again

Simon

Simon12345

Bluetooth is still dropping out. Redtail did you have any kuck with the factory reset?
Redtail

Simon, yes, so far.  I used Samsung's Smart Switch as recommended by their support person (actually, they call themselves 'counselors' - rather apt) to back up my data.  It sort of works for messages and photos, but that's about it.

I've spent the last few hours waiting for everything to update again, and restore my page/screen layouts, re-install apps and everything else that doesn't get backed up by Smart Switch.  In that time, my Pebble has been connected and working fine with no Bluetooth issues.  I have yet to try it with my car's head unit, but I don't expect any issues.

RDH8

Interested in how this turns out. My Bluetooth started playing up on Saturday as well, so very odd they all started failing around the same time. If I was to take a stab in the dark I'd say it's a glitch with the OS that Samsung/Telstra need to get on top of ASAP. 

Redtail

@RDH8 wrote:

Interested in how this turns out. My Bluetooth started playing up on Saturday as well, so very odd they all started failing around the same time. If I was to take a stab in the dark I'd say it's a glitch with the OS that Samsung/Telstra need to get on top of ASAP. 

So far, so good.

Bluetooth is working correctly with two of my devices, namely my car's head unit and my Pebble watch.

As a side note, Samsung's Smart Switch leaves a lot to be desired as a backup and restore application.  All up, I think it took me about 4 or 5 hours to reinstall and resync all my data - maps, podcasts, ref material.  I trust that the reset has solved the problem once and for all, but reading some other forums I note the outcome is good for a limited time before it needs doing again.  Other forums also suggest it's a known issue with Samsung/Lollipop that requires addressing.

I thought an earlier poster was on to something when I saw the last update date of the Telstra app was 29/7, but that's probably coincidence.  I think I average about 4 or 5 app updates on any given day, making it hard to pin down to any one app.

Needless to say, I shall be monitoring the situation more closely for a while.

sinners

Mine started the same thing on Saturday aswell...was definately an updated app that has caused it.

Will do a back-up on Kies and reset tonight, hopefully it fixes it.

Thanks for the help all, was just about to ring telstra and was not looking forward to it lol

codeturner

Same problem here.  Can't use my pebble any more.  I don't have time to do a factory reset and then restore all of the content and settings.  Absolutely infuriating....

duellsy

Having the same issue with LG G4, started some time Saturday.

Every few minutes I get the message "Unfortunately, Bluetooh has stopped".

I've uninstalled the few apps that I've installed in the last week, cleared bluetooth cache, reset... still getting the popup, and on occasion, a crash and restart.

stonekillerz

Funny samething happened to my s5 after last weekend. Must be something common between all devices. You think it wouldn't be hard for telstra to solve the problem. I refuse to do a factory reset.
CWSB

Agree it's frustrating that a Telstra update has caused this.

For those wanting to fix now rather than wait for Telstra I can confirm that I bit the bullet and did a factory reset last night, the good news is the problem is gone.

Telstra you owe me 4 hrs of my life!

markm66

Yes I am having the same problem again it started Saturday something has to caused this it cant be a coincidence that that started happening last weekend

sinners

The factory reset worked. Except I lost all my app's, spent half the night downloaded apps and trying to remember password. Not fun!
Simon12345

I finally gave in and reset my phone. The good news is my Bluetooth is working again, the bad news is its a long process. Thanks to everyone for your help.
codeturner

Don't know is this going to help you guys but I played with it yesterday, disabled some services that could be disabled with no root (I haven't rooted my phone) and low and behold the problem stopped. Peculiar thing is that issue didn't stop straight away, but rather it took approx 30 minutes.  Hasn't crashed since.  The apps disabled are 

Phase Beam (the strongest suspect)

S Beam

S Health

Smart Remote

Telstra

I don't have time to play more to enable and disable individual one of those to isolate for sure but at least this saved me to do factory reset.

stonekillerz

how do you disable the apps

cheers

codeturner

Go to Settings --> Application Manager swipe to "All" apps tab and look for those apps. Select each individual app and click disable button.  For some you may need to uninstall updates before you can disable. Clean cache while you at it by clicking "Clean Cache" buton.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now