CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
macfanboy007
Level 1: Cadet

Unlocked Samsung

Can anybody confirm if the Samsung Galaxy A20 purchased online from the Telstra Shop is unlocked?

I asked yesterday with online support and they repeated 3 times that it was unlocked.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Unlocked Samsung

The Samsung Galaxy A20 is a PrePaid phone and will be network locked to Telstra.

Postpaid (plan) phones are network unlocked.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
macfanboy007

So why was i told it was unlocked?

I told them it was a prepaid phone purchased outright and will use a Beelong sim and she repeated 3 times it will arrive unlocked..

Maybe the people who answer questions should always state prepaid and or post paid in their repsonses. I almost wasted money buying one.

Being locked will it work with a Beelong sim or does it have to be a Telstra sim?

macfanboy007

Copy of a transcript from yesterday:

Jonny: Is the Samsung Galaxy A20 Locked to only using a Telstra sim or can it be used with another one that uses the Telstra network?
Jennifer:
Thanks for the details.

Jennifer:
Give me a moment to look into this.

Jennifer:
may I know the IMEI of your samsung A20, please?

Jonny: I don't have one yet I am considering buying one online but don't want to commit if my Belong Sim doesn't work...
Jennifer:
I understand. No worries. Samsung A20 is unlocked with Telstra.

Jonny: So the phone will arrive unlocked?
Jennifer:
Yes.

Jonny: Great, so if I oder one and it is locked , what do I do or can I get a refund?
Jennifer:
It is unlocked Jonny.

Jonny: Fantastic, thank you for the help. do I get a copy of this transcript if anything goes wrong ie phone is locked?
Jennifer:
No worries.

Level 23: Superhero

Crowd Support can advise you, as you have been that it is locked, but we are customers like you. No one here has any influence over or with customer service or account access.

You really would need to speak to a Telstra employee, best where you made the purchase.

If you are with Belong, a locked Telstra phone won't accept a Belong sim.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
macfanboy007

Thanks, nice to know.

Shame Telstra employees couldn't answer that straight question.

Is there any way of knowing which, if any non-telstra branded sims, will work?

Funny, I have had Optus locked phones in the past and they all could use other sims on the same Network. Telstra must be different.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Pretty much all prepaid devices are locked, that being said, a Belong SIM, as it is on the Telstra network should still work. As it is locked to the network a carrier on the network like belong and boost should work without it needing to be unlocked the same as you said you had previously with Optus. 

alternatively you would need to go down the process of a complaint and provide that chat transcript as evidence to try and have the fee for unlocking waived. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Hi @macfanboy007,

On the Telstra website showing the Samsung A20

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/samsung-a20

Near the bottom of the screen you'll see the heading "Things you need to know"

You'll see this in there:

Telstra Pre-Paid Devices: Only work with Telstra SIM card. Unlocking fee applies for use with a non-Telstra SIM card. See more unlocking information here. Limit 1 per customer and no trade sales. 

The cost to unlock a Telstra Pre-Paid device is:

For phones activated up to 6 months ago (or never activated), there is an unlocking fee of $80. For phones activated 6 months up to 2 years ago, there is a $25 fee. If you activated your phone over 2 years ago, there is no unlocking fee.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Accounts-Plans/How-to-unlock-your-Pre-Paid-phone/ta-p/67548

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit