Highlighted
Jimmy22
Level 2: Rookie

VIDEO CALLING ON SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 & S7 EDGE

Answered

Video calls are not supported on the network from Samsung S7. 

Please post info regarding when Video calls will be available from the device.

Thanks,

James

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Cam71
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Re: VIDEO CALLING ON SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 & S7 EDGE

I just installed the new XSA firmware (sorry Telstra!) and video calling is restored.  If you are not comfortable doing it yourself then take the phone to Samsung and they will do it on the spot.

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

HI ckj1969, 

Video calling has been enabled on Samsung S7 devices. 

You can read deatils on this here https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/mobile-technology#videocalling

If you are still having difficulties I would recommend contacting mobile support on 132200 and say Mobile Assurance

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
45 REPLIES 45
Cam71

Wow, I never noticed - this is terrible.
dean1dj

Samsung have just advised me that the video calling feature has been has been removed on the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge. In addition, she will be sending my feedback to the right department so they might work on having a video call on the next Software update.

She recommends using thrid party apps.

Just thought I would let you all know.

Cam71
Accepted Solution

I just installed the new XSA firmware (sorry Telstra!) and video calling is restored.  If you are not comfortable doing it yourself then take the phone to Samsung and they will do it on the spot.

Jimmy22

Thanks for reply & info Cam71.  This is the best solution so far Smiley Wink

Disappointed that there has been no reply to this Msg from Telstra Admin as yet with info &/or when a resolution is expected

Jimmy22

Thanks for reply dean1dj.  I've been told this by Samsung also, but the third party apps I've looked at use data instead of the mobile network... Telstra & Samsung should be providing info & transparency to customers re this issue.

Cheers

dean1dj

I agree
ckj69
Level 1: Cadet

Ok guys..

Totally agree...both Telstra and Samsung websites say video calling is available..user manual built into s7 shows video calling...

But our firmware version has it disabled....for a premium mobile this is totally crap.. Especially as video calls Will work in poorer reception when apps won't.

Spent numerous hours on hold with both Samsung and Telstra...

Techs at Telstra has no idea it had been removed and after painstaking process of explanation they said call Samsung...

They said it was Telstra avd just use an app eg Skype... I said not good enough a it was false advertising as their websites both say it is available...and after having it on all previous galaxy models that I was misled and want my contract cancelled if they are not going to enable the feature in a firmware update...they backtracked and said register a complaint and then contact Telstra about contract.

Called Telstra back and the 1st lady tried to deny any fault and said I couldn't cancel. Totally avoided the coolant and said use an app. After exclaiming that their website also advertised the activity for native video calls she out me onto dungeon higher up who looked oblong and acknowledged the feature was indeed advertised but missing from the s7 and trusted my complaint officially.... I told them that if they should look st the 1000s of complaint worldwide about this issue and if they tell Samsung to enact the feature I would keep the phone. If not I want my contact cancelled. He said that they were getting loads of complaints already and were looking into it and would get back to me..

Will let you know when they reply

I think if the complaints keep coming on this scale they will update this feature...so keep composing
zystof

Hey ckj69,

Just wondering if you had any luck or if you decided to hand your phone back in?

Just asked Telstra at the store and they have said that the S7 doesn't have the Video call option Samsung never added it to the phone.

Speedwaynic

I use video call and to have to use 3rd party is a pain. I like the new phone but miss some features
Support Team
Support Team

Hey speedwaynic,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

I can appreciate your frustrations with this not being available and if this is made available in the future, then we will have all customers advised. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

ckj1969

Telstra Support,

This is a standard feature that Telstra advertises for this phone. The stock OS for the phone allows it. The telstra approved OS has removed it....WHY????...

Absolute joke that this has been removed from the phone.

The telstra website advertises it. The support pages show it is available. The telstra supllied s7 in built manual on the phone itself says it can do it but according to Samsung it was TELSTRA that had it removed.

I need it not only for personal use but for work. Especially in country areas where you can only get 2g/3g

I spent hours on the phone with SAMSUNG and they inially said they knew nothing about it and that all S7 phones (like every previous galaxy model) could do video calls. But eventually I was put onto a higher level employee that disclosed that Telstra had the feature removed.

I contacted telstra ands spent hours on the phone. The initially said it was a Samsung issue, but after I told them that samsung told me that the s7 is capable unless the service provider removes the feature, they put me onto a special GALAXY S7 complaints team. They admitted that it was telstra but they don't know why.

Still waiting for a reply.

THAT WAS 4 WEEKS AGO....

That is blatant false advertising and I would never have upgraded from my S5 if I had known.

If I don't get a satisfactory answer soon, I'll be cancelling my contract.

ckj1969

Still no reply.... Downright terrible support but don't expect anything better from Telstra these days
Lana16

Following, I have also just upgraded from my S5 and I am very disappointed that the S7 will not allow video calls. I was not advised of this at the time of being convinced to upgrade my phone and my plan.. if the phone has the capabilityof video calling (as I was advised that it did) it would be great to actually be able to use it...
miss_mellie1983

Cam 71 did you have to pay Samsung anything to install the firmware? Does it void the phone warranty once done?
aakib

Cam 71 if i update xsa firmware can i get ota update from xsa?
Mendoza67

Wow I've just been reading everyones comments! I had no idea either! I only just upgraded from s5 to s7 about a month ago. My daughter lives in another country video calls is how we keep in contact Smiley Sad She never has any data but always has free minutes to video call. Obviously never again! Smiley Sad If I changed my phone to vodafone would I be able to video call then? This is embarrassing I won't be telling any of my apple user friends and family out there! Would love to get an update on this massive problem!
peteM67

Guys,
It's not just telstra.
Vodaphone and Optus too.
Apparently all Aus carriers
hmb2279

I have very recently upgraded to the s7 from an s4 and just discovered tonight that video calling isn't possible. I think this is such a disgrace. My hubby video calls me and the kids when he's working away. He calls from the last town where he has service before he heads out in the sticks.
They say just use a 3rd party app. Screw you telstra/samsung Australia apps dont work well enough that far out. And why should we have to download a 3rd party app like Skype? Taking up precious memory, having yet another password and it uses data instead of minutes. Not good when you're on the edge of service. I had 2 upset toddlers tonight that couldnt see their daddy and say goodnight. Thanks telstra you fail again.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi hmb2279, 

As you can see from details in this thread, this is a decision by Samsung, not Telstra. 

In regards to other apps, many work very well, have you tired them? 

From personal experience I can say that an app such as Skype works extremely well, and can be used on any device, not just mobiles. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

ckj1969

That's not true....if you read my previous comments you'll see that the s7 has video calling stock standard....it is the carriers eg Telstra that have it removed in their firmware version....

They admitted that to me when I complained... 3rd post apps absolutely suck when you don't have decent coverage not to mention the hassle of having to sign all you contacts into the SAME ONE just to make calls

Check your pre loaded manual on your phone and you'll see the video call feature listed as standard and was on the Telstra website too until they removed that recently

TELSTRA STILL HAVEN'T GOT BACK TO ME SINCE U LODGED A COMPLAINT 2 MONTHS AGO...And they admitted that they removed the feature

Unless we all keep complaining they won't put it back....

I love all of my galaxy phones but want and need video calling...

If they don't return it I'll be getting a refund and find another phone/carrier that gives it

Support Team
Support Team

Hi ckj1969,

Have you tried a Google search on the issue? 

You will find that others have complained about this on other networks also, Whirlpool is a good source for people discussing this. 

As mentioned on there, as well as on this thread by dean1dj, they spoke to Samsung directly who have advised this:

" Samsung have just advised me that the video calling feature has been has been removed on the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge. In addition, she will be sending my feedback to the right department so they might work on having a video call on the next Software update.

She recommends using thrid party apps.

Just thought I would let you all know."

A_random_aussie

IvanS that is incorrect... I have 3x S7's, 2 bought outright which both have native video calling and one from telstra on a plan that doesn't. Both of my other phones CAN make native video calls in Australia (on a different prepaid network) but the Telstra handset doesn't have the option and when I put the Telstra sim in the other handsets it won't call out on video call but it does on my S4 and S5. Telstra have told me twice that they don't know why it's not available or when they will allow the update. Samsung are happy to put the blame on you guys and you guys avoid the question... I have two that work on another network which I'm happy to provide photos of if you need proof, you're the most expensive network in Australia, why don't you deliver what you advertised? Rip-off!
Bambi3006

How do I do that?
Bambi3006

Cam71 how do I install the XSA Firmware
ckj1969

Ok guys...after latest firmware update i was excited to see that video call has suddenly appeared on my phoneas am option when go to make a call. However, when I attempt to use it the video goes up as you would normally expect but when the call connects the phone reverts back to a standard audio call. I attempted a number of times with no success. I even had others video call me and their phone said that mine could not receive video calls.

WHAT IS THIS CRAP TELSTRA...LIFT YOUR GAME...THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE COMPLAINING AND STILL NOT FIXED...

I have now been on hold for over half an hour....nothing changes

Oh and still no rely to my official complaint over 4 months ago

You claim to be the premium network in Australia and you can't even sort this out after thousands of complaints...

Anyone else had any luck
ckj1969

Just like to say that instead of sending me emails congratulating me on the number of posts I make and then upgrading my status, it would be better to get replies and results to our complaints
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@ckj1969

How did you go after talking to the Mobile Tech Team? Did you get a reference number for that?

- Matt

ckj1969

After waiting for over an hour on hold I gave up...didn't surprise me to be honest
txr33

I too have the same issue with video calling, it's there but only results in a voice call or the other device says that my device is not supported to take video calls, seems more like a network issue than a handset one. Even though in the last update PIT it states ViLTE enabled now, is it actually activated on the telstra network or does it need to be activated for your account so you can use the video call feature now?

I would like to know why its not working and hear from telstra how to rectify this issue.

The thread states it is solved but i havent seen an actual solution here apart from flash a non branded firmware which you shouldnt have to do.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@txr33

ViLTE is something that is activated automatically, provided you have VoLTE already enabled and you are using a ViLTE compatible handset.

My understanding at the moment is that both the calling party and the called party must be using a compatible handset and have the feature enabled.

This should also work intercarrier though it is important that the device be compatible with that carrier and have the feature enabled.

If you have issues with this, Please check with the Mobile Tech Team.

- Matt

txr33

@DeltaSquad

I have two s7 devices both with latest firmware with vilte and both on the telstra network.
With both in a volte area it gives me the option to video call and it starts the video call until the call is connected which it then switches to a voice call with volte instead of a video call and even though it still has the video icon in the call options to switch to a video call it fails to do so and stays as a voice call.

Do all volte areas support vilte or is it coverage specific to only city areas at the moment.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@txr33

All 4G and 4GX locations support ViLTE (Excluding 4G small cell locations)

ViLTE is not supported on 3G.

If you're in a 4G small cell area, we'll send you an SMS to let you know.

- Matt

Andy71

This is not true. I have custom firmware installed and it is available as I have it on my phone and use it regularly. Samsung have it added on many other firmwares it's just that Telstra have removed it from theirs. You can download custom firmware from Sammobile and use Odin to install. You need to be comfortable however with flashing ROM's etc. Or you can install a custom ROM but that may void warranty. Best way is to install an Australian ROM but not Telstra (TEL). This will not void warranty and will not trip KNOX. Again you need to know a bit about the processes - Google is your friend there.
Mccc

@Andy71 wrote:
This is not true. I have custom firmware installed and it is available as I have it on my phone and use it regularly. Samsung have it added on many other firmwares it's just that Telstra have removed it from theirs. You can download custom firmware from Sammobile and use Odin to install. You need to be comfortable however with flashing ROM's etc. Or you can install a custom ROM but that may void warranty. Best way is to install an Australian ROM but not Telstra (TEL). This will not void warranty and will not trip KNOX. Again you need to know a bit about the processes - Google is your friend there.

Here's the weird thing. I purchased my S7 outright from JB Hifi and still it had no video calling. I've also noticed there are menu options missing on my firmware but there are some that exist on the Telstra firmware.

ckj1969

Why do the Telstra techs keep posting comments when they don't have any solutions....

Vilte is not required for video calls...not even on 3g...my S3 did video calls fine on 3g and my S5 was fine on 4g.

As has been mentioned numerous times on this post...we can load external firmware that works fine for video calling without the need for vilte...it is TELSTRA that has this feature disabled in their firmware...a should not have to wait for vilte to use video calls...absolute joke...

TELSTRA should stop the bullcrap and just admit they disabled the feature...I have screen shots of their website when I bought my S7 and the user manual detailing sites that include video calling as standard just like all of the previous galaxy models...then within 2 weeks of my call to complain the video call feature was removed from their site...

Happy to provide this evidence for anyone looking for some recourse against the lies that Telstra keep sprouting..

It's now been over 6 months since I first contacted them and Samsung to resolve this...and surprise surprise...still no call back

If it wasn't for the need for better coverage in rural areas for work I would have returned the phone and changed networks long ago...

Let's see the reply to this
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

HI ckj1969, 

Video calling has been enabled on Samsung S7 devices. 

You can read deatils on this here https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/mobile-technology#videocalling

If you are still having difficulties I would recommend contacting mobile support on 132200 and say Mobile Assurance

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Anthony0101

Hi Tommy, How can I contact you with assistance with video calling on a Samsung Galaxy S7?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Anthony0101

You would need to contact the Mobile Assurance Team directly, either by calling 125111 or via Live Chat

htc1m8

I contacted mobile assurance today and they couldn't help me and I gave them the link to Telstra web page and they said that would refer it to the tech team to update
Matbir76

Ok. I am a VF customer and i have the same issue. Makes me think it is a Samsung issue and nothing else...

Had a s7edge for 13 months no problems. Went to make my first video call on it ever today and discovered i could not...

timet50

I purchased a new release Galaxy A5 (2017) a few months ago, native Samsung no carrier ROM, from a chain that stocks them, as not sold by Telstra. Telstra business account & SIM.
Until I went to make a video call tonight I never noticed that this is not installed on this phone. Switching to 3G advised by Optus to solve connection issues, however the new A5 does not have video calling. All software updated Jan 14th Android 6.0.1. Not a Telstra issue on this model! Totally unexpected Samsung..!?
timet50

The online user manual accessed from 'settings' shows the green video icon on the dial pad lower left. This phone has an orange contact icon in that place.. so is this an issue for a non-carrier / Telstra release handset?
MSss

this is not correct.My freind i work with has a samsung seven with video  calling and its with telstra

MSss

my freind has just got a samsung seven from telstra and it does have video calling

Ricki000

Called telstra and quoted mobile assurance what a joke. Get the runaround and I will escalate it. Yet all they have to do is push out the update. Hopeless.

Samsung Galaxy Note9

The Camera. Reimagined.

Find out more