Highlighted
WantToKnow
Level 2: Rookie

Webmail - mobile phone - Outlook

Answered
My brand new Samsung Galaxy s9 doesn't give me the "don't sync inbox" option that my HTC allowed. That means my phone can't act as a storage device for Telstra bigpond emails, because when I download them onto my computer through Outlook they disappear from the server - and therefrom my phone. I don't think there's a "save inbox" option on Webmail. And I can't find anything on Outlook to uncheck. This problem makes my phone unfit for purpose. Does anyone have any solutions? Thank you, grateful for any ideas.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Webmail - mobile phone - Outlook

To stop emails being deleted when downloaded to PC open outlook go to your bigpond email account settings > more settings > advanced tab and place tick next to "Leave a copy on message on server". In the image below messages will still be deleted from server and the phone after 14 days. If you want to leave a permanent copy remove tick from remove after 14 days.

Outlook_POP_Remove_From_Server.JPG

If be able to save a permanent copy on the phone set up the email client on your phone to use POP instead of IMAP. When setting up account select "Manual Setup" and use these settings. If set up as POP there will still be a copy of the  on the phone when they are removed from server.

Incoming server details:

• Incoming server address: imap.telstra.com
  • Incoming server port: 993
  • Encrypted connection: SSL

Outgoing server details:

• Outgoing server address: smtp.telstra.com
  • Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587
  • SMTP authentication: On
  • Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS on port 465 (recommended) or STARTTLS on port 587

Username & Password:

• User name: Your Telstra email address - ending in ‘@bigpond.com’, ‘@bigpond.net.au’ or ‘@telstra.com’
  • Password: Your Telstra email account password - REMEMBER it’s case sensitive.

Other settings to check:

• Make sure ‘Outgoing server requires authentication’ is ticked.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES
Accepted Solution

To stop emails being deleted when downloaded to PC open outlook go to your bigpond email account settings > more settings > advanced tab and place tick next to "Leave a copy on message on server". In the image below messages will still be deleted from server and the phone after 14 days. If you want to leave a permanent copy remove tick from remove after 14 days.

Outlook_POP_Remove_From_Server.JPG

If be able to save a permanent copy on the phone set up the email client on your phone to use POP instead of IMAP. When setting up account select "Manual Setup" and use these settings. If set up as POP there will still be a copy of the  on the phone when they are removed from server.

Incoming server details:

• Incoming server address: imap.telstra.com
  • Incoming server port: 993
  • Encrypted connection: SSL

Outgoing server details:

• Outgoing server address: smtp.telstra.com
  • Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587
  • SMTP authentication: On
  • Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS on port 465 (recommended) or STARTTLS on port 587

Username & Password:

• User name: Your Telstra email address - ending in ‘@bigpond.com’, ‘@bigpond.net.au’ or ‘@telstra.com’
  • Password: Your Telstra email account password - REMEMBER it’s case sensitive.

Other settings to check:

• Make sure ‘Outgoing server requires authentication’ is ticked.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

WantToKnow

I'll try changing the phone to POP, thank you. If it works that's better than saving emails on the server. Will post again regarding success or otherwise.
WantToKnow

WantToKnow

So - thanks for the reply to my question. But I want to make sure I"m doing the right thing if I change the settings on my phone. 

Here are the account settings on my Galaxy s9. (ID is scrubbed out)

Are you saying I should just change the incoming server to POP instead of imap? Is it case sensitive? ie, POP or pop?

And will that keep copies of any emails downloaded onto my phone, while still allowing all emails to be also downloaded onto my computer?

solve theAccount settings 1.jpgAccount settings 2.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note9

The Camera. Reimagined.

Find out more