CrowdSupport®
AboutSS
Level 2: Rookie

disable call waiting on mobile

Hi, I am unable to disable call waiting on my mobile. When I try it from the call settings I get an error message saying sim or network error. I have tried using code #43# and I get a message saying it is disabled but I still get call waiting. I have rung Telstra and been told it has to be done from the phone which is impossible in my case. My phone also says call forward when busy is disabled in the settings but when I check using codes it says it is enabled? Any help would be appreciated as this is really annoying. Thank you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
MarethyuAS
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Re: disable call waiting on mobile

try *43# to turn it on then #43# to turn it off

*#43# to check the status 

Level 25: The Singularity

You can also open your phone app, then go to settings -> supplementary services and turn it off there

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
AboutSS

Hi, thanks for your reply but this doesn't work. I dial #43# and get a message saying "Call waiting service has been disabled". When I then dial *#43# for status I get "Call waiting Service was enabled for: Voice". I tried enabling and checking status and I get a slightly different message "Call waiting Service was enabled for: Voice, Sync" then when I disable and check status I get "Call waiting Service was enabled for : Voice" ie so after disabling with #43# and getting a message saying it's disable when I check status it says it's still enabled.. There is no mention of "Sync" when I check status - could this be relevant? I had the sim card changed today at the local Telstra store and he put the new sim in his phone with exactly the same results so it isn't my phone.

AboutSS

Hi, thanks for your reply but as I said above when I try exactly this I get an error. The actual error is:

"Failed to read data

Something went wrong. Check your SIM card or network connection, then try again."

I have had the sim replaced twice and have tried 4 different phones and I get the same error message (or similar) so I'm thinking it must a network thing but ringing Telstra support doesn't help. They just tell me on their system call waiting is disabled and yet they tested this by calling me while I was on the phone to them and the second call came straight through. They tell me to go to a Telstra store, the Telstra store tells me to ring support. Meanwhile I can't disable call waiting (and none of the call diverts work either). This is a business phone so it can be really frustrating. Thanks for your help anyway.

Is it on a Business Account (with an Account Manager) or on a consumer plan?

It definitely sounds like an account level issue, and if it is on a Business Account, I would be geting in touch with the Account Manager. The Telstra Store is not going to be able to assist.

If you are on an ordinary consumer plan, the lodge a formal complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints

It will take about 5 business days for someone to contact you, but it is more likely to get investigated than calling the phone support again.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
AboutSS

Thanks for your reply. It's a business account. Coincidently as I started typing this Telstra Business rang me to discuss renewing my contract as it is up soon. I have outlined the problem and they have me on hold. I was actually thinking maybe, since I'll soon be off contract, I'll port to another carrier and try to fix it that way. Maybe porting back to Telstra at a later time will resent the whole account?

MarethyuAS
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

You could also just get a brand new plan & number then transfer your number to the new SIM it's best to do this when you don't need the number for 15 mins - an hrs time or transfer the service out to prepaid with anyone other then Telstra then port back into Telstra 

AboutSS

Business account manager was unable to help, they suggested going back to the store for (yet another) new sim card. I'm not under contract so I'm going to port out and (maybe ) port back in, hopefully that will work. Thanks for your help guys.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit