CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
dash2
Level 1: Cadet

samsung s5 software update

Answered

Just got the new telstra software update for samsung s5. now it says it is corrupt phone bricked.

what is telstra doing to fix

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Re: samsung s5 software update

Hi guys, another update for you:

If you’ve performed this update and are currently unable to reboot your phone, please come into one of our stores for a loan mobile phone or replacement Samsung Galaxy S5, following the usual warranties, repairs and returns process.

If you’re unable to make it into one of our stores, don’t worry. You can send it to us and we’ll send an exchange device to you, usually within 24 hours. Please let us know you’d like to exchange your phone via our online form here: https://www.telstra.com.au/webforms/mobile-faults-self-service/index.cfm.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
26 REPLIES 26
Level 20: Director

The software actually comes from samsung so tjey need to rectify it but you could download it to your PC and install with odin
I am not a Telstra employee, so all opinions are my own, I have been around Telstra products a long time and have a reasonably strong general tech knowledge. .
Newbie-Telstra

I've just updated my s5 with the latest OTA software and my phone no longer boots up.  Its a brick.

Where is the support on this forum.

ryestylen

installed latest update 3 hours ago on samsung s5 now will not boot properly,

can start up phone and eventually gets into startup wizard but cannot complete and keeps popping up saying apps failed
ieL gallary wont open, chrome wont open, startup wizard failed

my background is still the same just cannot get past this dang startup wizard

get your stuff together telstra

probably just a plan to make these things bricks so we habe to buy the new phones. s5 is like 3 years old god damn. i want this phone for atleast another 3 

As i previously said telstra dont deploy the software samsung do . Samsung develop it telstra do network testing only the hand it back to samsung for deployment.
This is a matter for Samsung to fix or alternatively to sort it quickly at home you can download official firmware from www.sammobile.com and install it with odin. This also gives you tje opportunity to install umbranded firmware if you wish
I am not a Telstra employee, so all opinions are my own, I have been around Telstra products a long time and have a reasonably strong general tech knowledge. .
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

That's odd. The last firmware update that was released for the Telstra version of the firmware was on the 5th May. A Vodafone update was released a couple of days ago. I wonder if someone at Samsung released it to the wrong carrier's phones?

As it is a partial update only, if there is an update to a critical part of the operating system, that could cause a failure to load.

I would be following Hunter-IT's suggestions for a fix. You will need to download a full firmware package, not just an update. If you are near a Samsung Store, I would pop in there.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MandaG

Yep - I now have 2 dead Samsung S5's - 1 is only a few months old... not happy and having trouble contacting Telstra...  in a waiting line on the phone now.

dash2

whats the point in reloading software thats aready stuffed the phone. there is obviously a fault in the update.

MandaG

Rang Telstra - it was a known issue since yesterday (30.05.2017). Unfortunate that they didn't think to recall the download, or email contact, media post - SOMETHING!! I am now awaiting a call back when they resolve the issue, possibly in around 7 days... what part of timeliness is that! I have two children and this is an emergency contact for school for which I am now providing numbers all over the place for me to be contacted... The customer service person provided me with an email, to which I needed to reply and the email glitched, so I had to call back again and the second customer service person had to be reminded several times, that NO my contact wasn't my mobile - it won't turn on - and no I needed to provide an alternative email address as I can't access my email from work - my mobile won't turn on.

If anyone with this problem lives in a major capital city go into the samsung experience shop and they will reflash it while you wait.

Houston, we have a problem. Looks like my phone has also failed to update and even though it still operates the large amount of free space I had on the main drive has now gone. Smiley Surprised

samsung-galaxys5-update-failure1.jpg

samsung-galaxys5-update-failure2.jpg

Community Manager

Hi all, thanks for reporting this issue. We are looking into this with Samsung as a matter of urgency. We will provide you with an update on the investigation as quickly as possible. Thanks for your patience.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

I spoke too soon as the phone got very warm and then turned off. Subsequently it is now stuck in the start up loop and is not responding to any soft or hard key inputs. Pulling the battery out now before it catches fire......

ryestylen

please advise me as to how this issue is solved, sitting here with a brick that has been trying to turn itself on for a few hours now, about to burst into flames any minute now im sure of it. i have no backup phone i need a fix telstra
Menssia
Level 2: Rookie

I can say that Samsung offered(and completed) the fix for my phone.
In a nutshell, they had to remove the Telstra branding/updates and put on the update for the S5 as if the phone had been purchased from Samsung directly.
I personally flashed my phone afterwards to ensure a clean slate but the main thing for anyone at this point is to gain access and backup data.
As Samsung has had all of today to get a workaround/fix documented to staff, try visiting a Samsung store tomorrow.
Menssia

Btw, pull the battery, and leave the phone off until you get to a Samsung store.
Support Team
Support Team

We do have information for our customers on this CrowdSupport post https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Samsung/samsung-s5-software-update/td-p/684987

Menssia

Not everyone is tech savvy KathleenC. Some people need experts to assist. It was sad today as the people who turned up to Samsung has said that Telstra shop had said it was battery issue.! Thankful those people had not accepted that answer.

You are correct it was not the battery that was getting hot it was the frame and screen. I can only assume the processor was running at maximum repeatedly in the boot cycle that was causing the phone to get hot. I would still take the battery out as a precaution even though it has nothing to do with the issue.

CatandAdam

Hi, I live in remote South Australia, would you have any idea of what options I would be looking at? We're at least a 6hr drive to Adelaide, if there is even a Samsung store there lol

Would appreciate any help, but obviously no fuss if can't Smiley Happy

@CatandAdam if you can't get to a Samsung store you can download official firmware from www.sammobile.com and install itvfrom your pc with Odin. If you don't know how to do this google it there are plenty of tutorials to help you. I know this is inconvenient but it looks like samsung pushed out an incompatible partial update so youll need a fresh install to fix it
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Hi guys, another update for you:

If you’ve performed this update and are currently unable to reboot your phone, please come into one of our stores for a loan mobile phone or replacement Samsung Galaxy S5, following the usual warranties, repairs and returns process.

If you’re unable to make it into one of our stores, don’t worry. You can send it to us and we’ll send an exchange device to you, usually within 24 hours. Please let us know you’d like to exchange your phone via our online form here: https://www.telstra.com.au/webforms/mobile-faults-self-service/index.cfm.

RChatfield1977

I've had the same thing. My S5 did the update and now it wont connect to any of my computers at all for data transfer. It keeps saying the USB device in not recognised or is malfunctioning when it's connected. Went to the local Telstra store today and was told Telstra sent out a warning "Not to download the new update" Sorry but i never received any text message about it and now my phone is stuffed. I've had it since they were released and have had no problems with it whatsoever until this damn update. Telstra refuses to halp so I now have to go to Sydney Samsung Centre to have it checked at my expense no doubt!! Maybe this is a ploy from Samsung to buy the more expensive phones they released. Seems to be the case with a lot of things going wrong with their products. Dont get me started about their T.V's and the apps not working either or have just been removed for no reason. Maybe it's time to buy an new Huawei cheaper and just get away from the mainstream brands. No happy at all.

RChatfield1977

How can I do that when the update has stuffed any connection to any computer via USB?

schooner1
Level 3: Gumshoe

only do this if you are bit savy
Download the XSA software from sammobile for your MODEL number phone And download and install ODIN to PC
When done all that on phone hold down the on button and volume down button and the button on bottom of phone all together that puts it in boot up mode to connect to odin to install software
Plenty of videos on you tube how to do it
berger

I would like to toss the phone.

I went to the Telstra shop at Bendigo Market place and they told me its a Samsung problem you need to phone them. the nice girl at Telstra offered to get the phone number. 

since the update the phone is slow to respond to keystrokes. Multiple adds appear on screen even before I enter my pin.

help required please

@berger she was correct Samsung pushed an incorrect partial update that was incompatible with the existing firmware. Nothing telstra can do Samsung have to fix it if you aren't comfortable downloading the correct firmware and flashing with odin

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now