GManG
Level 1: Cadet

A quick query about the 'Telstra' remote-access phone scam?

Hi everyone, This thread serves a dual purpose in a way, as I just received a phone call from 'Telstra' technicians supposedly wanting to help me install a software upgrade for our current modem / NBN call. From what I have on other threads here and elsewhere, this seems to be yet another reboot of the remote-access phone scam, and I figure the more awareness of these scams the better, which brings me to the core of my query.

I followed along with the 'technician' for a little while, opening up the windows event viewer, and subsequently opening the 'Administrative Events' tab. While I'm relatively basically competent with a computer, I'm no security savant, so I'm basically wondering if purely by opening the event viewer and the admin events log if it's possible I exposed my computer's security. I didn't give the caller any info on what was in the log, nor did I download anything. The logical side of me assumes I'm fine, but the paranoid side of me figures it doesn't hurt to check.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Best wishes, GManG

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: A quick query about the 'Telstra' remote-access phone scam?

You are correct in assuming the call was a scam call. Opening the events viewer and the Administrative events viewer is not a security hazard.
GManG
Level 1: Cadet

Re: A quick query about the 'Telstra' remote-access phone scam?

Awesome. Thanks so much for putting my mind at ease a tad.

Have a great day. Smiley Happy

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more