Highlighted
Glenys
Level 1: Cadet

Home Phone Scam?

Answered

I have just had a phone call presuming to be from Telstra, with the caller, Abdul, definitely Asian, unable to understand me when I was spelling my name.  The home phone is in Mum's name but I have an authority.  He said we had been overcharged on the phone line and were to be changed to a different plan but wanted identification.  He didn't seem to mind what I gave him and so I gave him none and put the phone down.  Does Telstra do that sort of thing?  I thought they would just give a refund in the next account.

Glenys

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
paul2
Level 5: Eagle Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: Home Phone Scam?

it is a scam for sure  dont give out anything to them

i have been getting phone calls here from someone claiming to be from  (wont say who)  saying i can get a better deal then what i have i doubt they even know what i get now  it is $30 a month plus umlimited calls  all i do when i know it is them is put the phone down and go back to doing what i was  then hang up a few minuties later

Paul

kurenai
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Sounds more like a scam. You should call Telstra and bring this call to their attention.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Glenys, 

Sounds like a phone scam to me and certainly something we wouldn't do. 

Regrettably there is not much we can do about these scam callers, except to provide this information to Scam Watch http://www.scamwatch.gov.au

If you're unsure about calls like this in the future and if it is account related, we can only recommend that you contact us to follow up, or check your account through My Account. 

- Luis

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
paul2
Level 5: Eagle Eye
Accepted Solution

it is a scam for sure  dont give out anything to them

i have been getting phone calls here from someone claiming to be from  (wont say who)  saying i can get a better deal then what i have i doubt they even know what i get now  it is $30 a month plus umlimited calls  all i do when i know it is them is put the phone down and go back to doing what i was  then hang up a few minuties later

Paul

kurenai
Accepted Solution

Sounds more like a scam. You should call Telstra and bring this call to their attention.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Glenys, 

Sounds like a phone scam to me and certainly something we wouldn't do. 

Regrettably there is not much we can do about these scam callers, except to provide this information to Scam Watch http://www.scamwatch.gov.au

If you're unsure about calls like this in the future and if it is account related, we can only recommend that you contact us to follow up, or check your account through My Account. 

- Luis

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

kurenai

Next time you get a suspicious call, be aware that you can easily look up the phone number at http://www.callercenter.com to find out who's behind the call. If the call turns out a scam, hang up and report it.
AW_99
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Hi all,

Home phone scam calls seemingly become part of our life. For this reason Telstra is loosing valuable customers - some of which in desperation and helplessness will disconnect they home phone lines.

Allow me as ex Telstra tech to make a suggestion or put forward petition to Telstra to "STOP THE PHONE SCAMS"   

There is a Telstra network facility called "Unwelcome phone calls register". To make it work Telstra needs to change a system configuration or lift the customer registration restrictions. Those customers getting the scam calls on the reasonably frequent basis i.e. 2 or 3 a month should be allowed to register even though they do not meet current registration criteria.  Once in the system the customer follows a simple procedure - after a scam call  the phone  needs to be left off the hook for one or two minutes, customer records call's time & date and than reports the event to Telstra. From there all Telstra has to do is to trace the offending phone number and apply a full force of the LAW.

From my personal observations and experience - somehow the "crooks" managed to infiltrate and use a legitimate Australian and overseas servers to make the scam calls. What makes me say that is - when you pick up the phone they will start with "unique" introduction by using specific frases and the way they speak it all sounds identical to the way trained and legit "call center personnel" is communicating.

It is quite possible that organised crime gangs managed to force staff of call centers to work for them. They could also be using those people to make scam calls from stationary servers registered under legit  " window front businesses".

Yes- it's not going to happen overnight and Telstra will have to allocate additional resources to tackle this problem but for doing this Telstra would be rewarded in many ways.

Good luck to all of us - Telstra please don't put this idea into a too hard basket.

Cheers

AW_99

Nerrelle

I have been receiving 'phone calls from people claiming to be from Telstra offering me cheaper prices on 'phone calls and line rental because I have had my 'phone for sometime and a loyal customer.   Alarm bells rang and alerted me this was a scam because I recently moved and I have a new home 'phone number.  They all spoke with a strong accent, sounded as if they maybe Indian. The first person who rang me asked, "Is your account  $72.30"?  My reply was, "Why do you want to know that when my information is on the computer screen in front for you"? I knew something was not quite right because my monthly account is no where near that amount. They became very nasty and stated something about how dare I question what information they have on their computer screen, I can't recall what they actually said "word for word", I think was getting over the schock of a customer service represtative (or they claimed to be) speaking to me in this way but this was it for me,   my reply was, "I am on the 'Do not call register' and hung up. I handled the following 'phone calls in the same way.  Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience?

Counsel

Just had a call from an Indian sounding individual (then his supervisor) who claimed to be from an offshoot of Telstra, rewarding my loyalty and on time payments. They informed me that I would now pay only $49.95 a month for my phone bill. I was suspicious from the start and played along (without volunteering my information) until I was passed onto a supervisor. I then informed the supervisor that I was not happy with their explanation of who they were and that I was going to ring Telstra to check who they were. I then went online to check for this scam. I have yet to hear from them again. However if I do get another call from these people I am thinking about just putting the phone down, without disconnecting, and doing something else for about 20 minutes.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now