CrowdSupport®
Juzzz
Level 2: Rookie

**NBN Complaint** TG799 (One modem to rule them all)

Well here I go with another Telstra run in…. Where to start on such a great story (This will be long just like all my Telstra dealings)

Last week I was contacted with the great news that NBN was now available to me and was given an in store NBN appointment for 30/6/16.

On 30/6/16 I took some time off work to attend the appointment at the store. On arrival I was asked for my license and quickly discussed plans and agreed on the same plan I was on. And fought off the upsell of a mobile phone. I was informed my NBN was to be installed on 6/7/16 a tech would come to my street changed a few wires and where done…. BOOM NBN will appear.

Arrived home the afternoon of 6th with my neighbour out front scratching their head as their nature strip lawn near the Telstra pit was dug up and patched back up. I thought hmm maybe they got NBN too. But no work seemed to be done at my house (No idea what happens with install so just shrugged it off and went inside ready to surf the nets)

Got inside and no net….. Gave it till 8pm still no net not even a dsl light.

Called support who said the order was completed successfully and there are no issues and I should have the net. Upon doing some technical stuff I apparently had the wrong modem…… Here we go

When the order was placed in store a box was ticked saying they handed me a modem (They did not) I was advised I needed a special modem that supported VDSL2, I replied oh great I actually have an ASUS DSL-AC68U that is a VDSL2 compliant modem. This was sharply met with o no there is no way that will work there is only 1 modem available that will work it’s a TG797… I replied great I have one of those under the stairs from when I upgraded to the 1000gig plan please hold.

. Walked down stairs

. Found modem

. Returned upstairs

Came back plugged it all in and bang no nets, Support guy trouble shoot the best he can until he realised he cannot support NBN and he needed “the NBN guy”. He called through and then conferenced me with them. NBN guys asked what modem so I proudly said the wonderful TG797. A disagreement quickly took place where the NBN guys got upset with the supporting tech and said “It’s simple question you ask customer what modem has and if not TG799 then don’t put through” (Accent and all followed by a few grunts and groans then a hung up).

A few more words were said and then beep beep beep oops the line dropped out on me.

I spoke to complaints the next morning who fixed the issue and ordered me a shiny new TG799 super modem and the Telstra TV box I was missing.

Confirmation comes through that the order has shipped and will arrive the next day (Today). So my wife takes a half day and awaits the package. When it arrives she calls me and says wow modems are small these day… Upon checking it’s the Telstra TV and no modem. So I called my case manager guy back and he says oh yeah there is none left available in any store or the warehouse so it’s on back order but dont worry you might get it next week.

I kindly remind the guy I work from home as well as an office so I need a connection, I have a 4G device from all my past Telstra issues let’s spark that up. He agrees but fails as its been out of credit

for just on 6 months. But don’t worry I can attend any Telstra store and collect a new sim and get credit applied so I have net. Great

I arrived at the store who were looking at me like a deer in headlights when I asked if they can read the notes on my file. I also couldn’t help but notice they have a shiny new super TG799 on the shelf and commented on shame they are not in stock or that could solve my issue. She replies sure I have plenty in stock do you want to buy one, I explained to her well no Telstra is giving me one and if she could apply to my account billing would cover the cost (Per advice from my case manager). She laughs and says no we are not Telstra so you will have to buy it…. I tell her that’s odd if you are the Telstra shop. She explains she is a franchise and won’t help with Telstra related matters but is happy to sell me one.

Not willing to fork out $219 of my own for an issue that was not created by me I decline and go with the pre paid sim with data instead.

She sets it all up and says please call Telstra for the data I can’t help with that part and extends her hand and says that will be $2 thanks. I laughed and said thanks for the help and walked off. She says again no seriously that will be $2 please. I hand her the SIM and said look just forget I came in here and went to walk out. She gets huffy with me and says fine here just take it and reminded me that when a survey comes out from Telstra for me to answer on her service not to express my thought on Telstra because she is not Telstra and to answer for her instead.

Baffled with what just took place I left. Get to my car and what do you know somebody has attempted to park next to me and taken my tail light out (Not Telstra’s fault but I’m pretty sure you can see why I’m pissed about this part, I really shouldn’t have had to go there if the order was right to begin with)

On my trip home I have a random thought about my friend who got his shiny new NBN service and has the same modem I have. I called him and determined that he in fact has FTTN same as me with Telstra and quizzed him about his modem. He tells me he uses the ASUS DSL-AC68U and it’s just a simple setting to change the modem from ADSL2+ to VDSL2. I get home he runs me through it and it does not work, all settings are the same but no DSL light.

I call ASUS I run through everything with them and they confirm this modem does support FTTN VDSL2 but after trouble shooting they confirm with me that I am missing the required signal on my line and to call my ISP to test the line signal.

I do so and speak to a very helpful chap who worked for NBN in the past and he spots an issue straight away and says the ADSL has been cancelled but the NBN is pending (I was told previously it was complete) and it does not look right. Hallelujah this guy knows. We have a good chat about modems and confirm yes the modem I have supports VDSL2 FTTN but is not supported hardware by Telstra to trouble shoot settings and assures me there are many other modems other than the godly TG799 that will work but are not supported by tech support.

We go through to NBN support who say. The order is complete and there is no issue other than I do not own a TG799 so they cant help.

I reassure the guys its ok my friend uses the modem  and don’t be afraid I don’t want modem support I just need somebody to test my port as I am not receiving a DSL signal.

The guy flat tells me “No if you don’t have a TG799 we are going no further with this call”. I explain my logic and explain im pretty tech savvy and anything he needs to check on the godly TG799 I cancheck for him on my ASUS. He simply goes silent…. I ask for a supervisor he declines for a good 40 minute stand-off while blankly ignoring me and only responding to questions placed by my original support guy who is on conference.

I intern utilise my interpreters powers of communication to remind the “NBN guy” that I am a customer in need of help and if he cant help I really need someone who can. My guy communicates this very clearly and it eventually works and he gets me a supervisor.

I plead my case again that I believe there is a line fault as there is no DSL signal at all and I really need somebody to look into it as there is no ETA on my magic TG799 (One modem to rule them all) and I’m pretty sure ill be in the same situation when it arrives after talking to ASUS and another user of my modem. The guys lays the law straight to me

“TG99 has a serial number and NBN needs that serial number to work, regardless of what modem you use or what it is capable of it WILL NOT WORK because it does not have the right serial number” I asked the guy does he mean Mac Address… He cuts me off and says “NO didn’t you hear me I said serial number” “NO serial no service its simple”.

This to me sound like a market monopoly for the godly TG799 (One modem to rule them all) and very uncompetitive to have an entire network built around just one modem. It also confuses me that my friend is happily cruising the nets on an un godly modem (Unable to rule them all) so I must have words to him for jeopardising our “Fellowship” with such lies and deceit.

And so the next chapter begins.

I give up talking reason and ask for them to add the credit to my super 4G prepaid SIM

• NBN cant apply it you need pre paid here is there number 1800 007 715
  • Prepaid tells me they cant I need Bigpond
  • BIgpond tells me I can’t I need NBN
  • NBN reminds me they cant
  • I go to 137663 and talk jibberish and mash buttons that takes me to billing who finally applies the data

And here we are now awaiting the TG799 Godly (One modem to rule them all) with no ETA

1. Please confirm if I have been told the truth about the TG799?
  2. Why is this so hard?
  3. Why do I stay with you?
  4. Why do I feel I do not get value for money?
  5. Why do support continually not support?
  6. Can you make my contract disappear and act like we never met?
  7. Why?

*** All people in this summary a real and have had their identity protected, All staff ID’s are available on request as I have learnt to capture them on all conversations in the past.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: **NBN Complaint** TG799 (One modem to rule them all)

The TG799 is Telstra's only VDSL2 capable modem available for residential use. I did see there does seem to be a backorder of them at the moment

That being said you can still use the AC68U though you will not get voice through it. It does need to be manually configured though

Check this page for your router

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/fttn_registered_modem_router

Bigpond Tech Support will only provide support for their telstra modems however

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Highlighted
Juzzz

It has been configured correctly, a direct clone of a friend who is using this modem with the Telstra FTTN network. I have no DSL light at all so it will not connect no matter what i do. When i get the new modem in god knows how long i will still have no DSL light and be back to square one a week from now. Why can support not test from their end regardless of hardware? They can ping the port and see what reports back and in this case it will fail because there is simply no signal on my line.
Juzzz

And yes my settings match the whirlpool thread you posted, they all have a dsl light even if thier modem is configured correctly or not. The only difference is without the corre t settings it wont sync but will still have a dsl light
Nahaz
Level 1: Cadet

It almost sounds like your neighbour got your NBN connection.

I had a similar run in with Telstra Support in regards to the TG799 (One modem to rule them all) I ticked the correct modem in store but they sent me out an old TG797 (Netgear Modem?)

When I find Tech Support I told them of their error. They couldn't find my paperwork online but were willing to send me the correct modem via Aust Post. I told them, "I am 15 minutes away from a Telstra Shop. Can't I just pick one up there with your order details?" I was told a similar story to you. I had to buy the modem and I would get $9 credit per month on my Telstra Plan.

I chose to wait for Telstra to send me out the correct modem. Like you, I had another modem anyway but as you found out Telstra won't talk to you about other modems except their own. Did a bit of searching and found the settings but you need to get your password from them. That can get tricky depending upon whether you speak to an Australian or someone in a country that has no idea what a modem is, but works at a Telstra Call Centre.

I find the Telstra Offshore Call Centres terrible. I am sure you have heard this before. I think I had a dozen or more Ref ID's from them. They are about as useful as a 1 legged man in a kicking contest.

Hope it all worked out for you in the end.

Juggernaut1977
Level 3: Gumshoe

I know this is an feed..But just had to add you no longer get a dsl light on NBN because you no longer have dsl..
Juggernaut1977
Level 3: Gumshoe

An old feed **

He's on FTTN so will still get a dsl light
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now