kathyann63
Level 3: Gumshoe

Receiving unwants calls saying they are from Telstra Technical Department

Answered

Question:  Does Telstra call you to say you have a technical fault with your internet connection?

I have had people call to say that we have a technical fault with our internet connection.  They say that they are from Telstra Technical division.  These people ring regularly sometimes twice a day.  Always with a private number or caller id says overseas number not available.  Is there anything that can be done? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kathyann63
Accepted Solution

Re: Receiving unwants calls saying they are from Telstra Technical Department

Thanks Wanglese for your reply. 

These people have being ringing off and on for the past several weeks.  I am most concerned as I am carer to my Mum who

suffers from demenia.

I am just wondering of Telstra can on the morning shows and warn people about this scam!!!!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
72 REPLIES 72
Level 22: Superhuman

G'day kathyann63 and welcome to crowdsupport,

You have obviously picked up on the fact that these are scammers an theives.

NO-ONE can call you with that kind of "technical fault", it's fundamentally not possible.

Often they will tell you it's a problem with your PC.

What they will do is get you to go to a website and start a "session" which will allow them to put a virus/trojan/fake anti-virus program on you PC, and then they have you, and expect you to pay using your credit card to remove "the problem", whiuch they have JUST INTRODUCED.

There's not a lot that can be done. 

Your best bet is to simply hang up on them.

My favourite trick though, is to pretend I'm a computer novice, and keep them going for as long as I can (if I have nothing better to do) without laughing, and then reveal I'm glad I kept them from sucking in another poor sap with thier criminal behaviour.

Thanks for bringing this up as it will help others in future to avoid this trap.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

kathyann63
Accepted Solution

Thanks Wanglese for your reply. 

These people have being ringing off and on for the past several weeks.  I am most concerned as I am carer to my Mum who

suffers from demenia.

I am just wondering of Telstra can on the morning shows and warn people about this scam!!!!

DragonJewel
Level 8: Inspector

Wanglese. Hey great news that others use the "keep the Bas(*%s occupied" option for these scammers. My record so far is 35 minutes but I note some are getting wise to this and hang up first. The first time I just wanted to see what they actually did so I disconnected my PC from the Net and followed their instructions to the end. They were trying to download a remote access app to the PC.

I need some form of entertainment Smiley Happy

Kudos, and LOL

Keeping the theives occupied protects others, and keeps some of us pleasantly occupied.

I think there is a "poisoned numbers list", because I haven't had a call for about 6 months, when I kept the last guy on for 20 minutes.

Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Murd
Level 2: Rookie

I just had a call from a gentleman (apparently from the Telstra Technical Department) who told me that my Internet account was about to be suspened because my system had been hacked and the hacker was using up all my data.

I normally enjoy stringing these guys along a bit but damn it he called during the footy so I told him I work in the IT industry and that I am sure I have everything under control.

It might be wise to add a line to bigpond bills saying that any calls from anyone requesting access to a machine or wanting you to download something should be verified using the bigpond forums such as this.

I worry for the more mature member of society.

Kudos @Murd this is a great idea.

Let's see.if we can get the powers that be to.send.out a reminder with the bills for a bit

Nanny19
Level 1: Cadet

Just to let everyone know have been recieving the nuisance calls 3 times a day for 2 weeks did take down the phone number there must be something that can be done it is so frustrating 

kathyann63

I think they have changed tack.  They are now saying that they are from the legal department of Telstra.  Soon as I here this I hang up.  Although it was been really quite since we changed our number and made it silent.  

Kookaa

How do you stop this annoying call? I got phone call from them almost everyday saying about my internet connection.

jimkr

Scammers claiming to be from Telstra Technical Department and that there is a problem with my internet connection are at it again. I have had several calls over the last few weeks and like some who have experienced this I try to keep them on the line for some time.

They are becoming smarter. The most recent, today, provided me with a bogus Telstra employee number, the address of the Telstra Technical Support Department as 41st Floor 242  Exhibition Street, South Melbourne (which is incorrect), 3000 and the current Melbourne temperature, which is readily available on the internet.

Within minutes of my having ended the conversation a call was made to my other phone number.

SJ65

HI 

My mum has just been scammed $1000.00 by someone doing this to her.

I have just found out today and we are now checking her bank account to see if anything else has occured.

Does anyone know if  they cn still access her details as they have hacked her computer and got into her bank account what we can now do to protect her. My brother is at the bank with her now to sort out from that side but I am concerned that this could happen to her again as she has early stages of dementia. 

Any info would be appreciated. 

ElizMiric

So these guys called me, and whilst I'm pretty cautious I was actually expecting a communication from Telstra so I got duped, my PC is now locked and requires a password to restart. Does anyone know if the hackers maybe use a generic password and what it might be?? If I can't get in I will have to format my pc and lose all my files....
Level 19: Deputy Director

Would everyone like Murd stop assuming that mature age people are gullible and technically illierate.??

And that goes double for females. Who the hell do you think laid down the basis for the internet in 1945?

Ada Lovelace worked with Babbage on the first attempt at a computer.

"At the beginning of World War II, Lamarr and composer George Antheil developed a radio guidance system for Allied torpedoes, which used spread spectrum and frequency hopping technology to defeat the threat of jamming by the Axis powers.[4] Although the US Navy did not adopt the technology until the 1960s, the principles of their work are now incorporated into modern Wi-Fi, CDMA, and Bluetooth technology,[5][6][7] and this work led to their induction into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2014.[4][8" wikipedia. So if that doesn't shatter heaps of stereotypes and stop the inane crap nothing will! 

As well, it was a female colonel who wrote COBOL, still used today.

My father never attended high school, not unusual in those times and place. He's probably set up his own computer, uses the NRS, and successfully repairing others. He's in his 90's.

Murd - SO STOP STEREOTYPING OLDER PEOPLE. IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU AND I HOPE YOU GET THE CRAP AND PATRONISATION YOU'RE DISHING OUT!

If the bank is useless try the banking ombudsman
sozzled2904

For the same reasons as many others have visited this forum to discuss the perennial question, "How to deal with those bogus 'I'm from the Telstra technical department' phone calls", I've tried countless approaches to end the problem and I've surrendered myself to the realisation that we're unable to do that. Nonetheless, yesterday I read one of the comments posted somewhere on this forum that piqued my curiosity and I thought I would give it a go; the outcome was less than 35 seconds before the caller rang off and I was feeling happier in the knowledge that I'd thwarted the ne'er-do-well's plans.

At the risk that my story may be seen as "advertising"—this is definitely not my intention—I've summarised what I have learnt over the years that these telephone scams have been plaguing us.  Indeed, this particular matter should be given more publicity (and more regularly publicised) whether it's done in the media, on telco bills, on the government scamwatch site or however might be best to get the message over.  My summary of the situation (and my recollection of yesterday's experience) is at https://quoroom.com.au/article-list/50-soapbox/85-telstra-is-going-to-disconnect-your-internet-for-t...

It's a shame that our telecommunications infrastructure doesn't provide a simple means to block these calls, that originate from overseas and spoof their caller IDs with Australian telephone numbers.  Perhaps, with intense lobbying to the federal Government, it might be that (one day) action will be taken to compel the telcos to develop counter-measures against caller ID spoofing.  In the meantime, be vigilant and, when you get those calls, relax!  These hoax calls prey on FUD and on knowing how to push your panic buttons.

Cheers

Handbrake27

My CNR shows the number 0278789214. If the stammers using this number as a conduit to Australian subscribers, can't the number be at least cut off or preferably taxed to close down these leeches
Zeda

I know it must be a scam because I have recently had a 3 month NBN  outage and no way will Telstra ring and offer any customer support. I can't even get adequate compensation from them. They are almost as bad as the scammers!

Cherrytree

Received two of these phone calls this morning.  The first said he was from Windows Technical Department and there is a problem with my computer.  Each time I turn it on it is downloading viruses and spreading them.  He had a strong Asian accent and kept on about my windows, so I responded by telling him that I had a window at the front of my house that was broken, but the man came earlier with new glass and put it in.  He hung up. 

An hour later another one rang, also an Asian accent claiming to be from Telstra and saying there is a problem with my computer and the internet would have to be turned off for two hours, first would I turn my computer on.  Told him I don't know how and please don't turn it off as the phone comes through it and I need the phone, he said that he is turning off the internet, not the phone.  Of course I know it's just a scam and if he was as smart as he thinks he is he would know that we are on the NBN.  He kept trying with me and I continued to respond like a senile old woman until he hung up.  Both calls came in from Private numbers.   So very annoying, I live on a Pension so finances are tight and these people are only interested in defrauding us of whatever they can.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Cherrytree,

Welcome to CrowdSupport

At Telstra, we often call our customers to review their accounts, inform them about new products and services, or let them know if their account is overdue. Unfortunately companies or individuals sometimes call our customers claiming to be from Telstra when they're not. They may try to switch you to another phone company or advise that your service(s) will be disconnected if you don't allow them to assist you. In some cases they may try to obtain personal information so they can access bank accounts.

If you receive a suspicious call at any time, end the conversation immediately. You can register or update your details at the Do Not Call Register (www.donotcall.gov.au) to assist with limiting these calls

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jennip55

We had a call stating we are using huge amounts of data and lots of people in the area are using our nbn, they got us to turn on the Computer and install TeamViewer.com they took control of our computer, told us not to use the internet and they would ring back at 9am in the morning... we shut everything down, what can they get??
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Oh dear JenniP55

That is really not good at all. Do you have personal information of any nature, bank accounts or anything like that stored on your Computer? 

Mobile and home phone scams     How To Manage Unwelcome Calls  

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

snruter_artslet

Why can't Telstra do something about this? I mean, I don't recall these phone call scams occurring when the Australian Government owned Telstra had Call Centers in Australia. This is a known (by post T1 Telstra) security risk and they ask people to rely on the the Australian Government's 'Do not call' Register. This register does nothing for Fake Caller ID's generated and used through a paid portal. At any rate, the current Telstra should be the responsible party and track down where the numbers are ported and lobby to close down this avenue. Or if it turns out that it's Telstra that sold this port line, close it immediately.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi snruter_artslet,

I can appreciate your concern regarding scams. We certainly try to educate customers where possible to reduce their risks from scams. If you have or do receive a call from a party claiming to be from Telstra or another company, I would recommend also reporting this to Scam Watch http://scamwatch.gov.au/ 

- Tim 

Niropower

Same thing happened to me. They'd called my dad multiple times who'd asked them to contact me since I was more tech-savy.

I knew it was a hacker based on:
1) it's an international call
2) they were trying to get me to go on team viewer

But what was surprising was how they were able to identify my name, phone number, address and that I'm with Telstra.

I have a strong suspicion Telstra's database may be compromised by hackers.
Tezza54

Had a call today from the Telstra Technical Dept and after hanging up they called back and I did not answer but noted on my caller display this comment - "data incomplete" - then it hung up, does this mean it is tapping into our system using nbn?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Tezza54

The message "data incomplete" showing on your caller display only means that the information provided from the caller ID was not complete, or not in a compatible format for your phone.

This does not mean that anyone is "tapping" into your system.

Betty84

I have had many calls supposedly from Telstra technical department and this time I asked for phone number and name which is Rick 0085275241320. 

Tazzieuser

We have been receiving calls of this nature for over a year. Sometimes I have some fun with them sometimes I just hang up.

The numbers we are called from regularly are;

02 6258 7863

02 6298 7863

03 9005 9892

02 4930 6655

All of which if you call them back are not connected.

I have reported the numbers to Telstra's nuisance calls number but they seemed uninterested. 

However this morning was different. I am now convinced that Telstra's or some other agency's Database is Compromised.

I spent 2 minutes toying with a chap from the subcontinent and was about to hang up as I had in the past when I asked him where he was from and he gave me a Melbourne CBD address despite calling me from an 02 62.... number.

Then for laughs I thought I'd ask him for my account number which wasn't close but then was quite surprised when he knew my FULL name and address.

This is information that isn't freely available on the internet.

There must be something that one or more of our government agencies as the phone companies to knock this sort of thing on the head. Maybe it's not profitable.

ScammerBgone

Like everyone....I am so over it. I can't believe something cannot be done about these nuisance calls. Yesterdays caller " I'm Olivia calling from the Telstra Technical Department'' not only provided me with my name but home address details when I lured her into a conversation. Today's caller "I'm Jessica from the Telstra Technical Department calling to say you've been hacked" was also determined to keep me on the phone. I again toyed with the caller asking for 1) your name please - she replied : Jessica Allan 2) Which office are you calling from Jessica? Reply: 248 Exhibition Street, Melbourne 3000. 3) Your ID Jessica please. Her reply D240306. And finally - so I can substantiate your calling from Telstra would you please give me your phone number so that I can return your call once I've called Telstra to verify your authenticity. Sure she replied ...it's 03 91075000. I then hung up!

I am a more mature member and we are not all technical morons, gullible etc. How offensive.

I have fun as I only use linux and android, so tellling me my windows PC has a virus etc ..makes me smile.
I have also had someone call about a "car accident" I never had.
Also sent an account purporting to be from a Toll collecting company here in Brisbane. Rang the real one and found out they were scammers, and they had received my payment etc. It must have been an inside job as they even sent me a photo of my car!

Try to get hold of a linux CD / boot USB. You may be able to boot from that, recover your files and music etc and then wipe/ "scrub" the hard drive.
You can download a popular .iso file from www.linuxmint.com or similar. Burn it as an .iso file and boot from it. Windows .iso's only install Windows. With linux you get a "live" system. If they have encrypted the hard drive though I can't help you. You could try using rufus if you need a bootable USB drive.
crimsoneagle73

I would suggest getting a usb HDD and running an image software to clone it. You can do this on a schedule. Then it doesn't matter in the slightest because you just reformat and reload the image. Also is handy when the computer dies for whatever reason, and it will trust me.

Alleghany

Three calls in two days saying internet will be disconnected for 90 days as dangerous programs are being loaded without our knowledge. Last two calls we said we did not have internet, so callers end.
Last call left caller ID <removed>. Have not listened to end of scam but no doubt the alleged problem can be fixed for payment. Indian accents always. No Telstra ID quoted.

Darrylb

I just ask for my account number which they gave me a bogus number and then my date of birth and they hung up
Tiger1980

I am sick on these people calling me telling me their from Telstra Technical Department.  Today's one could only tell me my name by my initial and surname so obviously they are pulling our numbers from the phone book. They continue to tell me that they are calling because every time I'm on the internet that something is downloading in the background and my internet is compromised.  Allegedly they are going to tell me how to fix it.  So I then asked them to tell me my account number to which they reply they know my ID!  I told them if I had a problem I would call Telstra Technical myself and that I do not believe them.  Today's phone number came with a  called ID of 0000000000  really piss off.  Testra how do I block a numbers that continually call me with this rubbish?  Over it. 

Level 25: The Singularity

@Tiger1980 there is no way to block the calls unfortunately.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Tiger1980

:-( :-( :-(

dadfaT

Give them a mouth full of verbal abuse they do not like it.

Highlighted
pete1668

I have also randomly been getting these fake calls from Telstra by a person with an Indian-ish accent. While I also used to play them along for up to 20 minutes, the whole fake call thing gets annoying when expecting important calls, relatives are sick, etc.

The problem stems from the fact that Telstra refuses to employ Australian call centres. This means that there is always an element of doubt about the validity of the callers who seem clever enough to fool the unwary and the elderly.

My son got a similar call and ignored it immedietly, but on checking with Telstra by phoning their number, he was informed that the call was valid!

Please Mr Telstra, employ Australians! You are supposed to be an Australian company, servicing Australian mums and dads.

I am not saying that there wouldn't be Australian scammers, but because of the likelihood that they would have to operate out of Australia, the chances of them being caught are far higher.

You do realise that there are a lot of people living in Australia who have foreign accents, don't you? The girl who sits next to me at work is from Ireland, in my office there are Indians, Americans, Kiwis, Latvians, Thai.

It doesn't matter where the call centre staff are located, you should always treat an inbound call with suspicion. The safe option is to call back on the official number and ask what they were calling you about. There should be a note on file.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
ronaldstuart

I have also been getting several scam calls purporting to be from Telstra. The last one a couple of days ago. He had an Indian accent. I let him go on for a while and then asked him if he had heard of ASIO. When he replied no, I told him that it was the Australian equivalent of the FBI and since I had been having a few of these scam calls they had put a special programme in my computer which allowed them to track down the caller and that he had now been on long enough for them to get a fix on him. He immediately hung up. So hopefully they don't call again
Alaska_Thunder

Hi, I just got yet another of these calls.  I alternate between hanging up, or as in this case, keeping them on the line as long as possible.  These people are pretty obvious scammers, but some people must fall for it or they wouldn't keep doing it.  I hadn't googled them before, but they must be a big operation, as I get multiple calls a day from them, and other people, from what I can see, do too.  Kept them on the phone a bit over an hour today, just by asking them to hold on while I got into the computer set up.  The woman on the phone got annoyed when I realised that I didn't have a computer.  Silly me :-)

Bobdown123

I dont see any solutions here - just bs from Telstra. Surely Telstra has to take responsibility and block these people especially as their own people are being targeted as well.  I am getting up to three calls per day. It is very distracting and sure not be happening so why are Telstra condoning this? Stop with your silly answers and fix the problem.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Everyone,

I've heard of customers receiving calls from people impersonating representatives from well-known government departments & private companies.

You can find information about whether it's really Telstra calling via https://www.telstra.com.au/help/contact-us/complaints/verify

You can find some more information online via the following link: https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/mobiles-tablets/user-guides-help/mobile-and-home-phone-s... 

If these calls continue, please to the information on the following link: https://www.telstra.com.au/consumer-advice/unwelcome-calls 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

rj9

Primarily identity theft was my problem. Received the usual call, after heated discussion, I was transferred to an Officer from ACORN Cyber Crime.gov.au. I then was under the impression I was talking to the law. Gave him access to comp. so he could check for unauthorized usage He found problem usages and said he will set trap to get their details. Next day he called back said trap was sprung, details gained, now arrests could be made. Following closure of connection, bank balance was found to be well and truly compromised.
BGA

I tell them they need to speak to my IT department and they soon hang up

Idabelle

I have had SO many... I led one on for quite a while pretending to do what he said and acting dumb until i finally called him out and told him what i thought of him. He hung up staight away. When his plan A didnt work he tried Plan B which was to get me to upload Teamviewer App and which would then give him access to my computer! Just so despicable and the latest ones argue with you outrageously. Can Telstra do anything ? IH
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Idabelle

We have some information about Scam Calls on our Website that you might find helpful.

Our Unwelcome Calls Team can also assist with International Blocking, which tends to reduce the number of these call types significantly.

I hope that helps.

Tropicalscene

It doesn't matter, our numbers are already listed with "do not call", it doesn't stop these calls. We are receiving 5 or more every day!!!

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now