CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
joebell1965
Level 1: Cadet

Retail Store - All different pricing??

Ok.. I found this really interesting...

Recently I went into Telstra Stores in Campsie, Burwood and the Sydney City. I was just in the stores to purchase an ear-phone for my iPhone 5 and found little speaker. Juwce I think it was called. First of all I went in to Campsie store and they had one on sale for $50. The consultant I spoke with gave me all the informations about the speaker. So i've decided to purchase one, but before I make up my mind I thought I might pop in to Burwood Strore and do online price check.

Now, Burwood store didn't have them in stock, and advised that Telstra do not sell that particular product. So anyways, I went onlline on my mobile to see the specifications for that little speaker. I found a website "URL: http://www.streetwise.com.au/juwce-thunderdrum.html"

And they were selling it for $29.95 Australian Dollars.

How can a store sell it for higher even tho the actual company who manufactures and sells this online for $29.95??? So I went back to the store and advised a consultant about this, and they told me they can not match the price. I didn't want to get in to an argument so I left the store, but before I did, I've looked at other accessories on display, and guess what?? All the accessories on display were over priced! I think Telstre store in campsie is a biggest rip off! I don't know what their customer service is like.

I sincerely advise all the readers to not to go to Telstra Store in Campsie for the accessory needs. If you don't believe me? Please take time to visit the store.

My message to Telstra is that why different stores have different pricings? Isn't it against the Consumer Law?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Retail Store - All different pricing??

I went onlline on my mobile to see the specifications for that little speaker. I found a website "URL: http://www.streetwise.com.au/juwce-thunderdrum.html"

And they were selling it for $29.95 Australian Dollars.

How can a store sell it for higher even tho the actual company who manufactures and sells this online for $29.95???

Why not?

First of all, while manufacturers often set and publish recommended retail prices (RRP) for products, these are not legally binding as maximum retail prices for the products across all retailers, either by consumer law (since what the manufacturer publishes is not an offer to treat in retail terms) or by the contractual agreements the manufacturers have entered into with distributors and retailers. Then, if a manufacturer also acts as one of many retailers of its products, in that capacity it can set different retail prices either from the RRP or other retailers' prices.

Your only argument would be that, if other retailers are selling the items at higher prices than what the manufacturer is openly prepared to sell to its retail customers directly, why would any consumer bother buying from the other retailers? That is a matter of competition only, not consumer law.

My message to Telstra is that why different stores have different pricings? Isn't it against the Consumer Law?

The Burwood and Campsie are Telstra Licensed Stores. Prices at Telstra Licensed Store may differ to prices at Telstra stores and Telstra Shop Online.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
joebell1965

Oh.. ok, so Burwood and Campsie stores are not owned by Telstra? How can I tell if the store I went to is Telstra Store or Licensed Store? Thanks
Level 22: Superhuman

How can I tell if the store I went to is Telstra Store or Licensed Store? Thanks

Hmmm, I was just about to say that the details given by the Telstra Store Locator should tell you if a selected Telstra Shop is Telstra-owned or a Telstra Licensed Store, but I've just discovered to my utter surprise that the footnote:

*Telstra Licensed Store. Prices at Telstra Licensed Store may differ to prices at Telstra stores and Telstra Shop Online

also appears on the details page for the Telstra-owned store at 400 George St, and while I know as a certainty that the Telstra Shop at Muswellbrook is a Telstra Licensed Store, there is no asterisk anywhere on its details page against the shop name that I can see to indicate that it is a TLS.

OK, it seems that once upon a time, the list view of the Telstra Store Locator would selectively mark out Telstra Licensed Stores with asterisks, and hence the footnote. At some point when the web site was updated to look modern, apparently the functionality was broken/lost and nobody bothered to test every detail of every use case before letting the new web site go live.

This really bothers me now, considering that Telstra's internal knowledge database directs its consultants to use the Store Locator to check if a store is company-owned or a TLS – just as members of the public would – and now that doesn't work any more. I'm going to flag this to the Community Managers to follow up with the relevant department.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Ramon

Although the Telstra website seems to have lost the little "*" that identifed Licensed stores vs Retail (company owned) stores, you can still identify them based on the direct store phone numbers.

Any store that has a 1800 number is (should be) a company owned store and any store that has a regular national number (03, 02, etc) should be a Licensed store.

There's no harm in asking the store before you visit if you feel it necessary to visit either type in particular.

*I'm not a company rep or authority on this in any way, but as far as I can tell it holds true.

Ramon

Actually, turns out I was right.

The internal Telstra Knowledgebase also explicitly states that Company owned Telstra stores have a direct 1800 number. And conversely, that licensed stores do NOT have a dedicated 1800 number.

-Ramon

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now