CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Gamer_Kid
Level 1: Cadet

Spam survey calls from Global Opinions

Anyone been getting these calls lately?
I have gotten a call from these guys about once or twice everyday for the last month or so on my house phone.

They claim to be from an organisation called global opinions and they claim to only want to do a survey and not sell me anything but I never give them what they want and always ask them to put me on their do not call list even though that never works. They claim that this is there website: https://aumysteryshopper.com.au/
Which as you can tell has nothing to do with a surveying organisation instead looks like a scamming website lol

I have also registered my number on the do not call register but that doesn't seem to help either.

The worst part of all is they spoof there number to seem like it's a different Australian mobile number every single time they call, this is what makes it so hard for me to tell who is calling before I pick up the phone.

I rang telstra and they said they can't do anything but activate a silent line for me which costs like $2 extra a month but they don't promise it works and by what I have seen from research it doesn't really help that much...

Any advice on what I can do to fix my issue or even just minimise the amount of phone calls I get on a weekly basis?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
34 REPLIES 34
SmithInOz
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Spam survey calls from Global Opinions

I get 4-6 calls a day from these clowns, 50% unlisted and 50% Australian mobiles.

Started politely declining their calls, asking to be removed.

I have also been very direct.

Forwarding their calls to jollyroger, while entertaining still hasn't stopped them.

I did listen to one of their spiels, absoloute scammers.

Arex

They keep calling me too - afternoon 3-4pm and also around 8pm. How to end this nonsense?

Mcscruff

What is the Jolly Roger phone number for Australia?

Mcscruff

What is the Jolly Roger phone number for Australia?

Stuybaby

Ive done exactly the same thing and after sheer frustration i demanded to speak to their manager and they tell me they are the manager. Demanded they no longer call me and thet said they would if i gave them my email address. I refused and said they were breaking the law but they refuse to stop calling me.
I have reported tgem to do not cal on 6 occassions without any success. Do the do not call people actually even exist or fo anything?
I now just keep a whistle near tge phone and nlow it every time they call.
If i find them ill destroy their call centre😀
krystal802

I too have been getting these calls on my home phone for the last 3 or 4 months and initially told them I wasn't interested,  then just hung up on them, asked to be removed off their phoning list, asked to speak to a supervisor and at the moment every time they ring I tell them to "F..off" or "p..s of" - all to no avail.  The same as you, I noticed that they are coming in on different mobile numbers, as I tried to block one certain number on my house phone and they still kept coming.  I will be ringing Telstra and asking to speak to someone in Australia to try to fix this problem as I pay good money to have my phone service, I subscribe to the "do not call register" and still get these spam calls on a more than regular basis. I have also googled the Subject and tried to find a solution there - still looking.  In the meantime I will be buying a whistle and using it when they start talking.  A real 21st century solution. 

Ona2

These scammers have been calling my residential line for 6 weeks up to 3-4 times a day.i too have become very irate do by these calls as the caller id is varied. I have been very explicit language with them . As they waste my time and effort in answering the call me thinking its a important call .but suddenly the penny dropped soon after I really told them to go #%%# them selves I got an interesting call ...it was a company who's name was something like CPR ...he was a little difficult to understand but what he was selling was a caller blocking service ( I put 2 and 2 rather quickly ) as he said have ever recently tried to block unwanted calls well I have the perfect monitoring system for $99 just need your credit card ... He was very persistent until I told him to go #%#% himself as well 

warning global market opinion and caller blocking ..these are elaborate scammers praying on people . There should be some IT intelligence from our telecoms to indenting where these people are set up . I would like to visit them so  I could shove their fictions products up there .......

anyone else had had further ideas ?

Diddles

Having the same issue nothing seems to put a STOP to these harassing calls. My phone is full of blocked numbers I cant store anymore...

Zandie

The Do Not Call register is useless, so is the silent line, so we might as well not be paying for that - it must be a nice little earner for Telstra.  I just had a few weeks' break from Global Opinions.  Now they're back full on.  Perhaps they get paid for every call they make, successful or not.  That's the only reason I can think of why they'd keep calling the same person over and over again and getting the same answer.  

Diddles

Yesterday I phoned Telstra looking for help as I had received 5 calls from Global Opinions.  Yesterday the last call I received at 6:33pm they phoned from 00420152657.  Today I received 3 calls  2 from number 00444523826 names were "Claire & Jay" 3rd call was from number 00420117044 name was "Claire".. If you answer they hangup so we let it got to voicemail and they leave a 101 message saying.. " Hello, Hello this is  ( insert name) from Global Opinions, sorry cant hear you, hello, not getting a response so Ill call you back later......"  ENOUGH IS ENOUGH .....  I rang Telstra again tonight and was told that nothing could be done but to call Scamwatch... they cant help either.... Something NEEDS to be done, my phone is full of blocked "Global Opinion" phone numbers.

mrcarlton

I have been getting harassed by these guys like others on here.  I did a check on aumysteryshopper.com.au (through whois) and contacted their MD in the UK (Neil Durrant) who told me he knows nothing about this mob.  He was very sincere and apologetic. I believe that they are not associated with them.

Every time they call me i ask what suburb they are based in and i get either Burwood, Chatswood or Parramatta.

I have tried being polite, rude and also letting them know what the law is around this area.

I am listed on the do not call register, and as this was a new number - the only people that had access to it were the ones who gave it to me (Dodo).  I strongly suspect that someone at Dodo sold or gave away my contact details because within 1 week of my new number becoming active the calls started.  i think this is too much of a coincidence.

I will hunt them down one of these days.  When i do - both them and the person who supplied my number will be in for a very real shock !!!

2US

Ok so I'm trying to work out what these guy's game is.I've gigven them "What They Want" alot yet the emails they promise never turn up.

I note that their questions are demographic type questions that many ask to pre qualify with no followon calls so at a loss to work this one out.

Any thoughts?

Jgo1

Having the same problem as everyone else. I think this is a regulatory issue. I know it will be difficult to identify the scammers but I think they need to have a go. If they were door knocking this frequently they'd be arrested
mountainwoman

I have searched this sight to get some ideas on how to deal with these scum from Global Opinions that keep ringing my home phone persistently during the day and I even got a call at 7.40 pm tonight. I have been polite and I have been rude and nothing seems to stop them ringing.

I have registered on the 'do not call. gov.au  site but makes no difference.

It doesn't make any difference if you change your number or have a private number as they just ring random numbers.

Next time they ring I will be polite and ask them if they would mind holding on and tell them I'll be back shortly. I will then proceed to do whatever I need in my house, get on the computer, watch some TV, do my washing and make sure every 10 minutes or so I will go back and apologize for keeping them waiting. I will do this continually till they hang up. 

I'm hoping they will get sick of this and put my phone number on their DO NOT CALL register. 

If everyone starts doing this they may get the message!

cws127

Have just had another call from these scumbags after them being quiet for the past 2 weeks....... and yes he copped an absolute mouthful after I told him he'd broken a federal law as we are listed on do not call....  Not much good that does....

normally just put the phone down and walk away... let them use up their time.....   and hopefully cash....

number calling was 02 96291802.

kramer159

These scumbags have my mobile phone number and are using it as a caller id, I have been receiving callbacks from people I don't know who have a ' missed call'  from me.  I get about 10 call backs an hour plus a dozen or so txt messages every day for the past 4 days, it is driving me insane.  My voice mail is full with 94 messages from callbacks from people i do not know and did not call, similar number of txt messages stating 'who's this'  or similar.....there is nothing to be done but to change my phone number apparently with all the hassle that goes with it.

sheila_walker

Like everyone else regarding this subject, I have been bombarded with calls, usually starting from 2pm AEST to at least 4.30pm. Being polite, less polite, downright rude, and foul mouthed does not work. It only frustrates me - not them!! Ideal solution???? if you have caller ID and don't recognise the number, don't answer it. I now always let any calls go to voicemail, that way I can screen exactly who I want to call.

Mandy164

Yep I’m the same - 2/3 calls every single day - I’m tempted to disconnect my house phone but why should I have to do that - does my head in, especially when hubby works night shift and gets woken up by then!!
Catey2

I am polite - say "Just one moment,  I'll get my husband" and then walk away - leaving the handpiece off the base.   Small minded I know, but I like to think I am tying up a line for a few minutes.    

thomasdavis

Well, I think we have been facing this kind of problem since years ago, and we never find any solution that really works to make them stop. Until today, I just ignore those calls from numbers I don't recognize, and report them to the authority. Sometimes I also share the numbers to websites like http://whycall.me just to make others know that they're scammers.
adeg

Global Opinions are scammers without a doubt and annoy the hell out of you with unsolicited calls from both landlines and mobiles. They seem to have many different phone numbers all emanating from Australia - the most recent numbers they are using to call me are 02 8784 4854 and 0420 175 111. When you ring these numbers back immediately after receiving a call from them there is a recorded message on both saying that the numbers are disconnected. How is this possible??

My question is how do they get so many what appear to be Australian phone numbers to use in their scam? Who is the Australian telco responsible for providing the scammers with an apparently unlimited number of Australian phone numbers and how is it possible when you call the numbers back that the message says the number is disconnected?

If you think you can get rid of them by registering on the DO NOT CALL REGISTER think again, The register only works prospectively and takes approximately 30 days after you register to be effective and only legitimate telemarketers will abide by the rules. So if the scammers already have your phone number, registration is of no help to you at all even if you decide to have your number recorded as a silent number. And who wants to cancel their existing phone number and get a new one just to defeat the scammers?? Not only that but when you ask these scammers how they got your phone number they tell you that they have access to all phone numbers even if you are on the Do Not Call Register! What a cheek!! So they admit they don't even play by the rules.

Surely the telco(s) which is issuing these Australian phone numbers or the Australian Communications & Media Authority (ACMA) can cut the scammers phone lines off. I have reported the numbers I have recorded in respect of Global Opinions to ACMA but so far they seem to be nothing more than a toothless tiger. The telcos need to step in and do something about this scammer now!

fedup11--

Didn't know about these people till today after doing a google search out of curiosity.

They rang my landline. Don't know why I answered the phone as I usually don't.

If it is family or something important, the caller will leave a message.

So that might work for others too. Just don't answer it. I have 101, so after a while I check it to see if anyone left a message.

Concerned3

I am called by Global Opinions at least four times a week - sometimes three times in a day.  My repeated requests not to be called are ignored.  They change their number so you cannot tell they are the ones calling.  I am on do not call register.

Their calling has passed harassment and is bordering on persecution.  I am now forced to have all calls going to my answering machine before answering.  Telstra will do nothing about them.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Concerned3

Have you raised this with our Unwanted Calls Team How To Manage Unwelcome Calls ? 

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

adeg

Lindy,

With all due respect I have tried everything and the Do Not Call Register is absolutely useless against Global Opinions. In view of all the customer complaints on your webpage, why doesn't Telstra do something PROACTIVE with the police to trace the calls and stamp out these scammers and nuisance calls? They seem to have an unlimited number of what appear to be legitimate Australian phone numbers (both landline and mobile) that they are using to contact unsuspecting persons. The number they used to ring me 3 times today was 02 6791 8231 and I have listed other phone numbers in previous posts. The scammers try their best to elicit your email address and mobile phone number but you would be mad to give them any personal information. Perhaps you could give me an email address at the federal police which I will happily use next time they call me and ask for my email address.

I see you are with the Telstra Support Team so how about Telstra (in conjunction with the Federal police if necessary) providing some proactive support to its frustrated customers??

Support Team
Support Team

Hi adeg, I understand your frustrations however though we provide access to telephone services we are not able to police global use of all telecommunications services. Many overseas scam callers use masked numbers, while you may see a local number on your caller ID that doesn't mean it's actually local or the real number they are calling from. You can keep yourself protected by being informed of what to look for: Mobile and home phone scams 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Bethie123

I have finally gotten details on my phone for Global Opinion for whom I have received a total of 23 calls from over recent weeks.  The more I asked them not to call the more they persist.

I am fed up with these fools and want to lodge a formal complaint with the Telstra who can block the number but it doesn't stop them calling from another number.

the last call was received on the 7/11/2017 the ID was 6791 8231 and it was registering as coming from Bingara.  Please provide feedback if you have the opportunity to confirm the details

paulineg

Nothing works with this group so rather than getting annoyed I just say "Sorry, I don't talk to Global Opinion" and put the phone down. They continue with their script then eventually hang up.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi paulineg

These calls are annoying to say the least.

We have released a Home Phone Handset that can now block these type of calls, you can view the details of the Handset on our website  http://tel.st/5xle select the option for Home Phones then Handsets.

I upgraded my Handset to one of these when I needed a new one and now have a much more peaceful life.

MattyDP

I like the whistle idea. It worked.
Philthedill

Now call themselves "Consumer Benefits" with several calls a day to my landline and my wife's mobile. Had same problem a few months ago with "Product Testing" or something.

Think its a Facebook scam as my wife clicks on quizzes etc.

But they now know our name and address, so I initially thought it was an organisation we dealt with. I reported the first phone number to ACMA, but they keep changing numbers and caller. They are 02 numbers, some supposedly Telstra numbers from websearches. I cannot fathom what they get out of it.

Some websites say they are progressively stealing your identity and voice responses, so say nothing. I now have to wait for unknown numbers to ring off now they have become such a nuisance. Numbers include: 0270102176, 02800362126, 0280945837, 0290034381, 0285979327, 0290034359, 0282012018, 0293491664

Harrassed

I got rid of Global Opinion's spam calls after months and months of harrassing phone calls..

Sound interested, but do not give them any information, particularly your email address.

Ask them if they are an overseas call centre. They will probably say no and give you Australian suburb. Sound pleased and tell them you are familiar with that suburb and ask just where abouts is the office. The will evade answeing and probably suggest they will give you contact details if you give them your email address. DO NOT DO THIS.

Now tell them you sitting infront of your computer/ tablet whatever and can't find their phone number in the white pages website and ask if they trade under someother name. You will cop some more evasions but persist ask how come they don't have a phone number listed if they are a legit company.

They may tell they are linked to a legit websit of a known company, or that the represent well known shops for product testing or similar. Keep this info in mind and move on.

Now tell them you have the ATO website up and you cannot find an AABN number listed for them.Ask them if they are a legit company trading in Australia, how is it their ABN is not listed and ask again are they registered under another name.

Now tell them you have goggled their company and it is coming up as a harrassing scam phone caller. Ask them to explain.

If they haven't hung up, they will have probably lost their cool customer service manners by this time, then ask for a contact number as you going to contact (at this point mention of the businesses they have previously mentioned) and then get back to them. They may well have hung up by this time, if not, you hang up.

I did this routine three or four times and the incessant phone calls tapered off and ceased after months of constant bombardment.

DancerToo

Best solution.  Have a telephone with an answering machine, and screen every call you get.  The telephone sales, scammers just hang up when answering machine is registered. 

I have a polite message asking people to say who is calling and if I am not available to take the call they are welcome to leave a message.  Most people who really want to speak to you will respect this and say who is calling.  If callers don't identify themselves why are they ringing you? 

You may still get a scammer leaving a message asking you to ring them (they have exciting news for you!!) you just delete the message (which is kind of fun). You will still get calls that hang up but at least you don't have to listen to them. 

I have found this is the best solution to the problem, alternatively once you know it is a scammer hang up immediately WITHOUT COMMENT - this just feeds the beast and they telephone more often to upset you.

emeraldraven

im constantly getting them even worse of the last month im getting like 5 to 6  a day.. so much so im not answering my home phone now at all which it tempting me to get rid of it ...most are spam about windows tec department some telstra tec department ( whom i rang back and found it wasnt them at all ) and then there is the survey ones  sigh bad enought i get charity calls every day i did the bloke spam calls and that dont work at all so over it ..its not funny  i know 3 more family members the same boat and im worried as my mother inlaw is alone and now takes her phone off the hook to stop them which is a worry as she is older and i like to keep a check ..i think some thing really needs to be done on this and fast or im optin out of a home phone full stop 

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now