Highlighted
raggedy_ange
Level 1: Cadet

Telephone exchange door knockers

Answered

Twice now I've had people knocking on my door claiming to be from the local telephone exchange and offering to tell me about 'available services' in my area.

They inevitably enquire who my service provider is when I tell them I'm under contract and not interested in any further information about services or providers. This always piques my curiosity (but obviously not enough for me to continue conversing with them and I tell them it's none of their business, thanks for the call and shut the door). Because I can't help but wonder (if it's only information they're offering) why they ask who I'm with? As this approach has been used on me more than once, I am now curious as to whether they are legitimately from my local exchange or if this is a sneaky and misleading sales tactic by unscrupulous providers wanting to poach customers hiding behind an unbiased exchange.

I tried to find contact details of our local exchange to call them and ask outright. At the very least it'd satify my couriosity or notify them of shady sales practices in our area although, ironically, I cannot find a contact person or number for our local exchange! So I bring it to a communications community. Has anyone else found themselves being approached by someone claiming to be offering information about their local telephone exchange? Is this legitimate? And if not, if these people are in fact representing telephone companies and are using the central exchange to hide behind shady sales tactics, who can I report these occurances to? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mudrat
Level 5: Eagle Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: Telephone exchange door knockers

Hi everyone, I think we have all had this issue with sales reps etc eg Electricity, phone or other people.

1. Go to ACMA and register for the "Do Not Call" register. This will stop any company ringing you up trying to make sales etc. Excpetion is your current phone provider as you have a contact etc with them.

Here is link to Do not call:  https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

2. Ask them for a business card with their name & ABN number. If they fail to provide this then get your mobile phone and take a picture of them and forward to police as these sales reps could be just a scam. Like the roof cleaners doing dodgy work.

3. Tell them if they ever come back again they will be arrested and charged with tresspas. I did this 3 years ago to Optus people after each week they come areound trying to sign me up, since doing this I have never heard boo from Optus.

I have a sign on my front door that reads "I am happy with my phone & electricity companies.

I do not need another religion I have my own.

I support the Charities I like.

Only ring the door bell if you are an Emergeny service or a family member or friend.

Hope this helps.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Emissary
Level 10: Junior Detective

It appears to be a sales technique. 

As if any company has any access to the exchange they can claim to be "from the exchange". 

It's no different (and i've heard this alot) with providers selling to customers with the term "Telstra network" when they aren't actually using Telstra network per say, but merely there company is renting the lines from wholesale. 

While i dont believe it is illegal it is misleading. 

Next time they do it, perhaps engage them enough to grab some information (Who they are from, ID numbers, names or whatever) and contact the company directly to let them know or head to the TIO. 

(There isnt much you can do i would think without knowing at least who they are from)

Will update with something clever when the brain starts working!
Parash
Level 8: Inspector

"Twice now I've had people knocking on my door claiming to be from the local telephone exchange and offering to tell me about 'available services' in my area."

Just a door to door selling technique, tell them to go away and not darken your door again.

-- Parash
Opinions expressed are mine alone.
collinvanuden
Level 4: Private Eye

Misleading and Deceptive Conduct is in fact in breach of the law in many cases (which, just quietly, is all KINDS of fun to point out to these guys and their telemarketing counterparts after stringing them along for as long as you're able to stomach the pitch)

You can find more info, including what you can do about such shenanigans at the ACCC's website: http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/815335
--
Collin Van Uden - Headcase. Mild acerbic. Professional haver of unqualified opinion, and Telstra person.

"I'm a datum."
sjp123
Level 1: Cadet

Misleading and Deceptive Conduct is in fact in breach of the law in many cases (which, just quietly, is all KINDS of fun to point out to these guys and their telemarketing counterparts after stringing them along for as long as you're able to stomach the pitch)

I find this interesting. For the past week I have had a call nearly everyday from the same company (I think they say tel com??) and although I told them the first time "DO NOT CALL THIS NUMBER AGAIN" the persistant rats keep doing so, the day before yesterday I went into a speech of grand proportions yelling about how i'd tiold them to stop calling and informed them I would report it if called again, they haven't called again, as yet...
They have the same message each time "You are currently paying more than $85-$90 on your bill?" (Who isn't???) "So you are entitled to a discount on you telstra bill" I ask if they are telstra - they don't say no, they say we are "affiliated: with them, I ask what company and far as I can tell they reply 'Tel com'
It drives me nuts but I would think telstra themselves would be concerned because their must be customers who are poached my this method of telemarketing???

Mudrat
Level 5: Eagle Eye
Accepted Solution

Hi everyone, I think we have all had this issue with sales reps etc eg Electricity, phone or other people.

1. Go to ACMA and register for the "Do Not Call" register. This will stop any company ringing you up trying to make sales etc. Excpetion is your current phone provider as you have a contact etc with them.

Here is link to Do not call:  https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

2. Ask them for a business card with their name & ABN number. If they fail to provide this then get your mobile phone and take a picture of them and forward to police as these sales reps could be just a scam. Like the roof cleaners doing dodgy work.

3. Tell them if they ever come back again they will be arrested and charged with tresspas. I did this 3 years ago to Optus people after each week they come areound trying to sign me up, since doing this I have never heard boo from Optus.

I have a sign on my front door that reads "I am happy with my phone & electricity companies.

I do not need another religion I have my own.

I support the Charities I like.

Only ring the door bell if you are an Emergeny service or a family member or friend.

Hope this helps.

Observer
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Wow... Im impressed, someone who has had this experience and hasnt gone to ACA or TT. Bravo for thinking and following the most logical path to get an outcome.  I will kudo's to that.

If you felt what i have said was helpful, please give a Kudos.

I am employed by Telstra however, my advice and opinion is that of my own and in no way is Telstra responsible for my actions.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now