Bart101
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Bogus/scam recorded message when phone rings??

Answered

Has anyone been receiving recorded phone messages when you answer a phone call?

The phone rings, answer the phone and I get a message:

Hello this is a Telstra phone message for [users name], this is not a telemarketing call, please press 1

Obviously I dont press anything and just hang up in case its a scam or it bills my account for some scam.

Been getting these every day for the last week on 2 mobiles and my "unlisted" home number which is really annoying me.

Has anyone else been receiving these???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Bogus/scam recorded message when phone rings??

IIRC the new messages relating to overdue accounts start with the not a telemarketing spiel.

It then says if you are the person, press 1.

If you aren't the person but you know another number to call them on, press 2.

If you aren't the person and they aren't contactable/available, press 3.

(The wording might be slightly different, but that's the gist of it)

It's likely a legit call about your overdue bill.  Pay the bill and the calls will stop.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Level 22: Superhuman

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Mobiles/Recorded-message-quot-this-is-telstra-message-...

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Do you have an overdue bill?

Telsta now place these calls to all phone numbers they have linked to your account (home and mobile) in an effort to contact customers about overdue accounts before restricting/suspending their services.

If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Bart101

Hi Drat,

none of the items in the "messages" link seem to fit with the issue I'm experiencing particularly given its occurring with both my private home phone, wife's mobile and my mobile which is in the name of the company I work for.  It may be a coincidence but a week ago I registered my mobiles with the donotcall registry.

Bart101

Hi Kalak,

I have received other messages regarding over due accounts, but it was simply that, just a message informing  me of the situation and not sounding like a bogus call, ".....this isnt a telemarketing call, but press one to here your message."

Accepted Solution

IIRC the new messages relating to overdue accounts start with the not a telemarketing spiel.

It then says if you are the person, press 1.

If you aren't the person but you know another number to call them on, press 2.

If you aren't the person and they aren't contactable/available, press 3.

(The wording might be slightly different, but that's the gist of it)

It's likely a legit call about your overdue bill.  Pay the bill and the calls will stop.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

The reason it would be calling your work number is that you have likely provided all those numbers as contact numbers at some stage.... Telstra is really good at recording contact numbers if done correctly Smiley Happy

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

antitel
Level 1: Cadet

I have had two of these calls. 

The first was in March this year and it was about a genuinely overdue bill.  This call was made to my home in Canberra which is my official address for Telstra contact but the overdue bill referred to a service supplied to my flat in Sydney.  No problems with this call.

However today in Sydney I received a similar call, same format..  I got up to putting in my date of birth and was then told I had an overdue account of $250 and gave me the usual options to pay etc.  At this point I hung up because I was fairly sure I did not have an overdue account.  I have now checked my Telstra "My Account" page plus my credit card transactions and I certainly do not owe $250 or indeed anything.  On 14 April I paid $144 for a bill for the same amount due on 26 April.

So while the first call was undoubtedly legit the second call is either a Telstra mistake  -  or a scam???

iweather

Received two of these today on different phones. Hung up on the first one after being asked to enter personal details and immediately on the second one. The intro sounds quite realistic and with amny companies using foreign call centres it is not uncommon to hear poor english.

In future I will hang up immediately for anything purporting to be from Telstra as they know where to find me if really needed!

gopies5

Yes I have had at least 5 calls today on my mobile asking me to press 1 - fortunately I couldn't find it to press. ;-)

Aldownunder

Well, that's a bit odd then. My accounts are bang up to date and I get these calls non-stop to home phone (telstra) and mobile (not telstra).

jakoebysimaell6

jakoebysimaell6

P®|| wolgreek
441481 .o189 axanekkcsse ice
knitwytch

ive been getting these now for about 7 weeks everyday anywhere between 5-12 of them. this is not a marketing call, please press one to continue. my bills are all up to date. scam or not this has stressed me out that much im seriously going to cancel my home phone and mobile. id rather turn into a hermit than get anymore of these. my already bad anxiety has just taken me to a dark place, thanks to these xalls 😥
KiwiMorgan

I've just received this automated call from an unknown number this afternoon. I obviously did not 'Press 1 to continue' but they did have my name. Any thoughts on how to stop this?
Highlighted
KiwiMorgan

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now