CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
GodMikesBeats
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Cable PS4 Nat-Type Issues

Im having issues with connecting with friends on the PS4 with chat and connecting with friends in game. My friends are telling me its my internet/modem. My modem is the telstra gateway max C6300BD and we just recently got this bundle a few months ago.
Everytime i try to chat with friends in a party it comes up with NAT type limitations.
I've had this problem for a while now and its really annoying.My Modem

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Level 20: Director

Re: Telstra Cable PS4 Nat-Type Issues

Hi, GodMikesBeats,

Thank you for your post.

There are a few different NAT types that will influence your gaming experience. 

Open or Type 1 NAT – Nothing is getting between you and your connection. You get the best experience using voice chat, joining games, and matchmaking with players.
Note: Open or Type 1 NAT may not be possible in many configurations, especially if you don't control all of the hardware between you and your internet access. 

Moderate or Type 2 NAT – This is the most common configuration. You may experience longer matchmaking times, issues with voice chat, or other problems.

Strict or Type 3 NAT – Strict or Type 3 NATs often indicate your console network settings are restrictive. With Strict/Type 3 NAT types, we have a harder time giving you the best possible experience, including voice chat with players. A Strict NAT or Type 3 NAT is not recommended and may cause noticeable problems.

You may need to change your NAT type if you're experiencing restriction issues.

Kind regards,

Hit the Kudos button if you have found my contribution helpful and please mark Accepted Solutions where applicable.

Other than being a customer, I have no affiliation with Telstra Corporation Limited and all opinions expressed are solely my own which may not necessarily be mirrored or endorsed by the company.
GodMikesBeats

our NAT type is 2. How would we be able to change our NAT type?

GodMikesBeats

I also realised that those who owns a PS4 has wrote a post that has the same problem as me and with the same modem aswell....

Type 2 NAT is really what you want and I'm surprised you're having issues with this type. Open NAT (Type 1) may present security issues but if you really want this type, HERE is a good step-by-step tutorial video that will guide through the process in detail as it's too much to type the entire procedure on here, and it'll be easier to follow the video.

If you run into any problems, let me know and I'll be more than happy to guide you through it.

Happy gaming! 🎮

Kind regards,

Hit the Kudos button if you have found my contribution helpful and please mark Accepted Solutions where applicable.

Other than being a customer, I have no affiliation with Telstra Corporation Limited and all opinions expressed are solely my own which may not necessarily be mirrored or endorsed by the company.

You may also be interested in this method so I'm including it.

1. Firstly, you'll need to access your router by typing it's address into your web browser, followed by entering your administrator login and password into the dialogue box to get into the control panel.
  2. Enable UPnP function on the router.
  3. There are two ways to do this now. Either set a static IP address for you console, and assign it to the DMZ (demilitarized zone, not recommended), or I'd recommend that you manually open up some ports and assign it to the console.
  4. The way you forward ports will vary from router to router, but you should be able to find a guide on for your specific model. The general procedure is similar for most.
  5. You need to open up the following ports in both directions TCP & UDP:
    • 3478-3480
    • 6000-7000
    • 10070-10080
  6. These are all ports that you need to open for Sony’s first party systems (such as voice chat, PSN, remote play etc.) and games.

7.  Reboot the console.

★ Some games will have additional ports that need to be forwarded, but these are based on each game. Developers usually specify requirements.

Kind regards,

GodMikesBeats

i tried that but it didnt work

Hi, GodMikesBeats,

Sorry to read that didn't work. Let's try a different way.

Go to Advanced Settings and locate DMZ mode. This mode allows you to open all ports on a given IP address. Copy the PS4 address in here and hit OK. Reset your PS4 for good measure.

Kind regards,

GodMikesBeats

it still doesnt work

Try forwarding these ports to your console.

TCP: 1935, 3478-3480

UDP: 3074, 3478, 3479

Kind regards,

GodMikesBeats

i already tried those ports from other websites and it still doesnt work

Then I'm afraid there must be network restrictions to prevent Open NAT type.

Kind regards,

GodMikesBeats

this is so annoying.

DerekM2
Level 1: Cadet

@GodMikesBeats wrote:

Im having issues with connecting with friends on the PS4 with chat and connecting with friends in game. My friends are telling me its my internet/modem. My modem is the telstra gateway max C6300BD and we just recently got this bundle a few months ago.
Everytime i try to chat with friends in a party it comes up with NAT type limitations.
I've had this problem for a while now and its really annoying.My Modem

It is all caused by telstra making changes to the modem firmware that cannot be rectified by you, buy a seperate router and disable wifi and change it to bridge mode (disable NAT) then use the new router for all your  port forwarding etc then everything will work fine. I purchased a netgear router so was same brand as the telstra modem and it all worked.

Johnnyk80

This is what you need to do,

1. Purchase another router, I used a tplink router 

2. Plug the router into port 1 of your Gateway Max

3. Disable 2G and 5G wifi on the gateway max

4. Go to NAT settings and enable Bridge Mode

5. Plug all your devices to the router

6. Setup your wireless on the new router (Use the same settings so that you don't need to reconfigure all your devices)

6 Test again

T_Bone
Level 1: Cadet

Does the tplink you have use dd wrt??

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now