CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
jose1965
Level 2: Rookie

Unknown call from and said they are Telstra support

Hi

I just want to ask something Smiley Happy about  some scammer

someone called Us in home phone and they said they are Telstra technical support

and he said my computer have a virus. and if i dont do anything my computer will permanently terminated

and he said i need to do something like go to front of your computer 

and i did what they said and 

Click start and then click run and then type "eventwr" like that and they show me idk what  that is

and then they said go to www.infosis.net and download teamviewer and i download it.

in this part i got noticed that they wil ask for

control key  so i didnt give the control Key cuz they will able to control my PC 

i didnt Give the control key i just download it and then i deleted it and then shut the homephone call.

do i need to worry about anything? are they now can control my pc or got connected to my computer?

can anyone help me about this issue? 

Thank you..

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Unknown call from and said they are Telstra support

Hi Jose, well thank heavens you didn't take the last step that they were asking, to hand over a password/key etc. You did the right thing deleting that software that they asked you to load, so you should be ok.

Just for your own peace of mind, run your computer scanner, the antivirus scanner.

In future don't, repeat don't download anything that these creatures tell you to and hang up as soon as you realize they are scammers.

Sig 2

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
jose1965
Level 2: Rookie

thank you mate

i hope i have nothing to worry

i deleted the **bleep** software that i downloaded 

and then im going to run a full system scan and then registry fix errors for it.

i hope i dont have to worry about what will happen nxt.. 

anyway thanks mate cheers Smiley Happy

No you should be OK, the main thing is that you brought the whole episode to halt when you did and have rid yourself of the software etc.

And make sure you do the full system scans, there shouldn't be anything there,

Sig 2

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Personally I would be worried as they got you to download Teamviewer (a legitimate product that I use at work) from a site other than www.teamviewer.com.  I would make sure that it is uninstalled and would be running my Virus scanner in safe mode from a USB stick to make sure it hasn't left anything nasty on your computer.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Chezza52
Level 3: Gumshoe

Change passwords too, and I hope you didn't give any credit card details?  good luck

Jenniejourno
Level 1: Cadet

I had a call today from a woman saying she was from Telstra tech support.

She said someone had hacked into my computer and was sending thousands of scam messages from my account.

She kept referring to "the problems with your computer" although I have no problems with my computer.

She said if I didn't go through a process with her over the phone, my Internet connection would be terminated immediately and my "computer licence would be revoked". Computer licence? Huh?

She tried to start me on the process, by telling me to go to certain keys on my computer. It was evident she assumed I was on a PC, but I'm on a Mac. So she put me through to another "representative".

This guy was an out-and-out bully. He kept threatening me with loss of my Internet connection and "computer licence", he talked over me constantly, didn't listen to me, and when I complained about that he shouted "NO - YOU listen to ME!".

So I hung up on him. 

Half an hour later, I note with relief that my Internet connection has not been terminated!

The scqmmers just won't give up. There must only be a handful of people left in Australia they haven't called yet.

Sig 2

Sootygood
Level 1: Cadet

jose 1965
you can also stop any outsiders getting any controls of your comp. Go to your comp. and stop the access from outside there is an amount of days there.. 1 week or several hours.... JUST PUT A STOP THERE.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now