CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Dexter_Fox
Level 3: Gumshoe

Why would a Telstra site offer UK or US English and not just call is English or AUS English?

Answered

Are they half owned by the US and UK?

Eaten any good books lately?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Re: Why would a Telstra site offer UK or US English and not just call is English or AUS English?

Hi Dexter_Fox,

I would suggest that the setting for CrowdSupport relates to the dictionary used for spell check. It is an international standard to offer either US or UK versions of English as they are noticeably different. For spoken or written English there is no difference, that I am aware of, between UK English and what we use in Australia beyond colloquialisms.

I can certainly take your feedback to the other Community Managers.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Why would a Telstra site offer UK or US English and not just call is English or AUS English?

I'm curious, which site gives you the option? I haven't seen a Telstra site that gives you an option to pick the language.

But, assuming there is, there a subtle differences in UK & US English as far as computing goes. Most notably the keyboard layout is different and the coding within a webpage/programme can be tailored to the relevant market.

AU-EN behaves more closely to US-EN than UK-EN in that we use US coding for the keyboard codes

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dexter_Fox
Level 3: Gumshoe

When you go onto your profile to change it here in community it asks you

Eaten any good books lately?
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Hi Dexter_Fox,

I would suggest that the setting for CrowdSupport relates to the dictionary used for spell check. It is an international standard to offer either US or UK versions of English as they are noticeably different. For spoken or written English there is no difference, that I am aware of, between UK English and what we use in Australia beyond colloquialisms.

I can certainly take your feedback to the other Community Managers.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

DanK is correct the setting refers to your preferred dictionary setting however the software platform the CrowdSupport community is built on is based in the USA with clients all around the world so it is their attempt to accommodate the slight variation in English and American spelling. We can also configure the community to work in French, Spanish and several other languages but this is not on our current road map.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now