CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Seeker
Level 1: Cadet

Working for Telstra?

Answered

Apologies if this is not the right area to post this - I had a bit of a look around and couldn't find anything that matched specifically what I was after.

To cut a long story short, I'm currently a customer customer service rep for a large ISP and I'm looking to change jobs. I feel that the company has lost it's integrity since I began my employment with it; hard work and loyalty is no longer rewarded, knowledge and experience is no longer valued, and I no longer feel that I can genuinely support or recommend the products and services this company brings to the marketplace.

On the other hand, I have been a very happy Telstra customer for a little over a year now and recently started a new 2 year contact because of how happy I am. The products and services that Telstra bring to the Aussie marketplace excite and interest me, and I'm eager to be a part of them.

There are two areas and departments of Telstra that I would like to be a part of: mobile, because that's where Telstra shines more than anybody else (best 3G network, first 4G network, ect.) - or the NBN department, because I have some involvement with in the NBN team for my current employer, but not as much as I would like. I also think these two departments are going to be the most active and important in coming years and I want to be part of an energetic workforce.

I have held my current role for 18+ months and in that time I have gained experience and knowledge in the following departments -- technical support; accounts; sales; provisioning (including working with LOLO); NBN (as I mentioned); TIO complaint cases; and, to a lesser extent, mobile products (delivered via a wholesale network). My role also involves quite a lot of coaching and mentoring of other staff, supervising my team of 6-12 people each day, assisting the team manager and generating/contributing to internal documentation and the company wiki.

I guess this leads to the main questions I want to ask;

1. I'm a bit lost as to where I could fit into a role at Telstra. I don't want to start at the bottom as a calltaker either. I would be looking for a role that is either similar to what I have now, or in a non-call centre and non-retail customer facing role.
  2. Is it possible to apply for a role directly in the mobile or NBN departments of Telstra, or would I need to start in another department and work my way up?
  3. How do I go about applying for such a role? I had a look at the employment section of the Telstra web site but couldn't find anything that seemed to fit what I was after. Am I able to simply send in a cover letter or resume and have somebody find a role/department my skills and experience would be suitable for?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Working for Telstra?

Hi Seeker,

Your experience seems to almost mirror mine (Including systems knowledge and NBN Knowledge).

NBN is currently a very new product for Telstra, and is handled by the Smart Community Teams at the moment. I'm not sure what centre they work out of I'm afraid, however I'm sure that all customer facing staff will have to learn some of the NBN at some point Smiley Happy

When it comes to mobiles, it depends on what your looking to do. If I remember correctly, most people start in our stores, and branch out from there. LOLO experience is good (as you may work with the back-end provisioning systems if you get a universal type role such as myself, and its good to know the structure. 

Most of the Non-Customer Facing roles are based in Melbourne, with a few individual sites spread out across the country. Where are you based and would you be looking for a move?

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Seeker,

Your experience seems to almost mirror mine (Including systems knowledge and NBN Knowledge).

NBN is currently a very new product for Telstra, and is handled by the Smart Community Teams at the moment. I'm not sure what centre they work out of I'm afraid, however I'm sure that all customer facing staff will have to learn some of the NBN at some point Smiley Happy

When it comes to mobiles, it depends on what your looking to do. If I remember correctly, most people start in our stores, and branch out from there. LOLO experience is good (as you may work with the back-end provisioning systems if you get a universal type role such as myself, and its good to know the structure. 

Most of the Non-Customer Facing roles are based in Melbourne, with a few individual sites spread out across the country. Where are you based and would you be looking for a move?

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

View solution in original post

Seeker

Thanks for the reply Ben. I'm in Sydney and very reluctant to move - what kind of job opportunities do Telstra offer in Sydney?
BrieM

Hi there,

Your skills and experience sound fantastic and well suited to Telstra's needs. I can't comment on the role you'd be suited to, but if there are no available jobs in the job search results on www.careers.telstra.com then it is best to apply to the General Expressions of Interest where they will assess your skills and suitability and put you in the appropriate talent pool for jobs that arise.

Good luck!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now