CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
rgreen49
Level 1: Cadet

telstra employee impersonation hoax.

Answered
Someone phoned me claiming to be a telstra computer online service person.After asking for remote access to my PC he informed me my PC was in a poor state of hacking activities.He asked for an international transfer of $20:00 from my bank account.Alarm bells rang before I complied with this request.He gave me his name as Jack Archer with an Australian Telstra I.D No. A87, he also had a very strong Asian accent.I feel that this may have been a serious attempt at fraudulant activity.Who, if anyone,should I contact about my suspicions?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: telstra employee impersonation hoax.

If you gave this random access to your PC, I'd contact a computer service tech and clean your hard drive as sure as eggs there'd be nasties if not before surely now! I wouldn't be doing banking nor anything sensitive until you have the o.k.

Cheers,
Dave

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

If you gave this random access to your PC, I'd contact a computer service tech and clean your hard drive as sure as eggs there'd be nasties if not before surely now! I wouldn't be doing banking nor anything sensitive until you have the o.k.

Cheers,
Dave

memel
Level 1: Cadet

I have just had the same experience.  A woman (sounded filipino) claimed she was from Telstra and that my internet service was about to be stopped because my pc was the victim of hacking which had interfered with their services at the telstra international centre.  She further claimed that as she was a technician she could guide my computer through a repair......alarm bells rang and I immediately hung up.  So be careful out there people, don't let anyone have remote access to your pc.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now