CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Some T-Box Fixes

I figured I might post some fixes for some T-Box issues. It may save some calls to T-Box Tech Support.

1. Invalid XML Data

Select Settings from menu

Select T-Box Information (to the left)

Select Reset Options

Select Remove Movie Licences

Now try and re-download the movie, if this fails you will need to also reset the hard disk which will remove any recorded TV shows you have so it may be an idea to export them to a USB drive if you really need them.

Select T-Box Information (to the left)

Select Reset Options

Select Reset Hard Disk

If you try to re-download the movie and it fails again, you will need to speak with T-Box Technical Support on 1300 136 841 to get the issue escalated.

2. Movie licence expiring after purchase

Put T-Box into Deep Sleep (hold power button for 5 seconds)
Turn off the modem for at least 30 seconds then turn back on
Turn on the T-Box
Try watching the movie again

If this doesn't work, we will have to remove the movie licences and catalogue.

Select Reset Options

Select Reset Movies Catalogue

If you're still having issues you will need to reset the hard disk and attempt to purchase again. If it still doesn't work, you will need to contact T-Box Technical Support and get the issue escalated.

3. BigPond Movies Catalogue not showing

Sometimes the Movies Catalogue wont be displayed so you can perform a reset on the movies catalogue.

Select Reset Options

Select Reset Movies Catalogue

If this doesn't work you will need to powercycle the T-Box and modem by putting the T-Box into Deep Sleep, turning the modem off for at least 30 seconds then powering everything back up again. If this does not resolve the issue you will need to perform a factory reset which will remove any recordings, scheduled recordings and everything.

To perform a factory reset hold the reset button on the bottom of the T-Box for around 10 seconds, the light on the front of the T-Box should flash 3 times and you will be returned to the welcome screen.

If it still doesn't work, you will need to contact T-Box Technical Support and get the issue escalated.

4. Unable to play movie

Sometimes when you download a movie you will be unable to watch it. You need to make sure the movie is within the rented and viewing period. You can keep a movie on the T-Box for up to 7 days assuming you haven't actually viewed it. The standard viewing period for a movie is 48 hours (you have 48 hours to watch the movie once you begin to play).

Select Reset Options

Once again, if this doesn't fix the issue you will need to contact T-Box Technical Support to get an escalation put through.

5. EPG not loading

For the EPG to work the T-Box needs to be registered, connected to the internet and connected to a BigPond internet service. If you meet all the criteria and it's still not loading you may need to reset the EPG.

Select Reset Options

Select Reset Program Guide

This may take around 1 to 5 minutes to complete the reset, if that doesn't fix the issue you will need to perform a factory reset which will remove any recordings, scheduled recordings and everything.

To perform a factory reset hold the reset button on the bottom of the T-Box for around 10 seconds, the light on the front of the T-Box should flash 3 times and you will be returned to the welcome screen.

Now, if this doesn't fix the issue you will need to contact T-Box Technical Support to get an escalation put through.

6. USB device not detected

1. Try unplugging and re-inserting the device.
  2. Check the device is plugged in fully.
  3. Check the USB Device is working on a computer. If it does not work, it may be faulty.
  4. Some USB Devices come pre-installed with software that will try to run when plugged in. If this is the case, it may need to be formatted first. Skip to step 7.
  5. Some External USB Hard Drives draw power from the device they’re plugged into if they do not plug into mains power. (If the External Hard Drive comes with a Y shaped USB cable, it might need to be plugged into the port at the back to get enough power).
  6. Ensure the USB Device is formatted with FAT32 file format. (To check the file format of a USB drive, plug the drive into a PC and right click on the drive in My Computer / Computer and see what the File System says).
  7. If still not functioning, you may need to format the USB device. This will remove all data from the USB Device, so you may wish to copy the contents to your computer before proceeding. Ensure that when formatting the USB device, that the FAT32 file format is selected.

To format the device:

• Copy any files from the USB Device on to your PC.
  • Open My Computer
  • Right click on the USB device.
  • Select Format.
  • Choose FAT32 from the File System drop down box

You may also find your USB device is not detected if you have removed it from the T-Box without choosing to remove it in the UI first.

In future, to disconnect the USB Device correctly:

• Go to the main menu by pressing the Menu button on the remote.
  • Scroll to the Settings option and press OK.
  • Navigate to the T-Box Information tab.
  • Scroll down to USB Device Options and press OK.
  • Press OK again to disconnect the device.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
RegT
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Some T-Box Fixes

Thanks Juzman.  Very helpful.  I think most of us would be concerned about how many problems can only be fixed by a hard drive reset or factory reset, but (touch wood) so far I haven't expereienced any of the issues you mentioned.

One item that I think would benefit from additional information would be the details of what can be connected as an external drive via the T-Box's USB port(s).  I was unable to get reliable advice from T-Box support and eventually just "winged it" and connected a 1TB FAT32 drive which works fine.  The transfer speed is atrociously slow, but I guess that's to be expected when moving video files over USB.

Is there a plan for the information collected on this site to be published on the T-Box support pages to help users get reliable and up-to-date information, and take some of the load off the call centres?

Cheers,

RegT

@RegT wrote:

I think most of us would be concerned about how many problems can only be fixed by a hard drive reset or factory reset, but (touch wood) so far I haven't expereienced any of the issues you mentioned.

I believe the reason for the HDD reset is due to the writing of the movie licence, catalogue or movie getting corrupted. I personally only had issues with the first T-Box I got (with the remote), have since had it replaced and kids couldn't be happier.

@RegT wrote:

One item that I think would benefit from additional information would be the details of what can be connected as an external drive via the T-Box's USB port(s).  I was unable to get reliable advice from T-Box support and eventually just "winged it" and connected a 1TB FAT32 drive which works fine. 

Yeah the T-Box only supports FAT32 unfortunately. That means 2 Hours of Standard Free To Air Recording, or 1 Hour of High Definition Recording.

**bleep**, I can't edit my original post to add HDD fixes, so will post it here (maybe a moderator can add it to the first post).

6. USB device not detected

1. Try unplugging and re-inserting the device.
  2. Check the device is plugged in fully.
  3. Check the USB Device is working on a computer. If it does not work, it may be faulty.
  4. Some USB Devices come pre-installed with software that will try to run when plugged in. If this is the case, it may need to be formatted first. Skip to step 7.
  5. Some External USB Hard Drives draw power from the device they’re plugged into if they do not plug into mains power. (If the External Hard Drive comes with a Y shaped USB cable, it might need to be plugged into the port at the back to get enough power).
  6. Ensure the USB Device is formatted with FAT32 file format. (To check the file format of a USB drive, plug the drive into a PC and right click on the drive in My Computer / Computer and see what the File System says).
  7. If still not functioning, you may need to format the USB device. This will remove all data from the USB Device, so you may wish to copy the contents to your computer before proceeding. Ensure that when formatting the USB device, that the FAT32 file format is selected.

To format the device:

• Copy any files from the USB Device on to your PC.
  • Open My Computer
  • Right click on the USB device.
  • Select Format.
  • Choose FAT32 from the File System drop down box

You may also find your USB device is not detected if you have removed it from the T-Box without choosing to remove it in the UI first.

In future, to disconnect the USB Device correctly:

• Go to the main menu by pressing the Menu button on the remote.
  • Scroll to the Settings option and press OK.
  • Navigate to the T-Box Information tab.
  • Scroll down to USB Device Options and press OK.
  • Press OK again to disconnect the device.
Support Team
Support Team

@Juzman wrote:

**bleep**, I can't edit my original post to add HDD fixes, so will post it here (maybe a moderator can add it to the first post).

Your wish is my command. Also I think that was the first swear on the forums!

-Dylan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

@thedylan wrote:

Your wish is my command. Also I think that was the first swear on the forums!

-Dylan

Thanks Dylan. All I said was d.a.m.n.. Not exactly a swear, is it? Smiley Tongue

Support Team
Support Team

Yeah we've set the bar fairly low to be on the safe side =)

-Dylan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

RegT
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks Juzman.

On your first point, I think it would be a great idea for Telstra to use some of its own product and put each T-Box user's licences in "the cloud", as Apple does for iTunes, and BigPond Music does for music downloads.  Then all a user "should" need to do would be resynch the T-Box data with the cloud.

On your second point, I'm not sure what conversion factor you're using for data size vs. playing time for FTA and HD, but I think a 1TB drive (i.e. what I've connected to my T-Box via the USB port) would be able to store a bit more than 2 hours of FTA or 1 hour of HD.

My other question related to using the content created on CrowdSupport to update the "help" pages elsewhere on the Telstra site.  I imagine this is a question for the moderator?

--

I am a Telstra customer and a Sensis employee.  My opinions are my own, and may not represent either Sensis's or Telstra's positions on matters being discussed.

@RegT wrote:

On your first point, I think it would be a great idea for Telstra to use some of its own product and put each T-Box user's licences in "the cloud", as Apple does for iTunes, and BigPond Music does for music downloads.  Then all a user "should" need to do would be resynch the T-Box data with the cloud.

That would be a pretty good idea and I would welcome that myself.

@RegT wrote:

On your second point, I'm not sure what conversion factor you're using for data size vs. playing time for FTA and HD, but I think a 1TB drive (i.e. what I've connected to my T-Box via the USB port) would be able to store a bit more than 2 hours of FTA or 1 hour of HD.

You may have a 1TB drive but being formatted as FAT32 the maximum filesize will only be 4GB per file hence the playback time (that's the figures we were given).

smadge1
Level 10: Junior Detective

I never had much luck copying content to the external HDD

I have a 400GB IDE HDD in a USB2 enclosure, and it took me quite a while to find a way to format it in FAT32 to start with.

And when I did try copying files to it, the T-Box said it was full after copying only about 20GB.

After that, any time I attempted to copy programs, the T-Box would reboot.

Also, aren't recordings split into 2GB chunks? I thought that's how modern DVRs handled large video files on FAT32 partitions nowadays.

EDIT: The big thing I'd like is to be able to store the recording schedule "in the cloud" through the registration portal, so you can add or change scheduled recordings remotely (per T-Box)

beck6
Level 1: Cadet

Hi - have you come across the issue's with the wifi connection to the apple time maching? I just cant get it to connect, can you help?

KatyD

Program guide not available, need to register Tbox. When this message appears reset the EPG option does not appear. its only there when the EPG is functioning. 

Luckydesico

Do you still need a TV arial for T-Box since everthing is coming through Modem?

Level 23: Superhero

If you wish to view the free to air TV channels, yes you need an aerial.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
lzbenn62

At the moment I wouldn't recommend anyone get a T-Box until they fixed the problem

Level 20: Director

@lzbenn62 wrote:

At the moment I wouldn't recommend anyone get a T-Box until they fixed the problem

What problem are you referring to? You have not quoted a specific part of this (old) thread.

Cheers!

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now