Highlighted
lisangel56
Level 1: Cadet

Tbox crashes while exporting to USB

Every time I try to export recordings to an external USB (which has been formatted to FAT32), it commences exporting (displaying 0.0% exported), freezes and then crashes the whole TBox.

I have tried several times doing this, with several USBs, but the same thing continuously happens.

Is there something I am doing wrong, or is this a glitch in the system.Smiley Frustrated

Advice appreciated!!!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Tbox crashes while exporting to USB

Hi lisangel56

Welcome to CrowdSupport. As per the T-Box User Guide: 

USB storage device needs to be connected to the USB port on the front of the T-Box. Your USB device must be formatted with FAT32 and the T-Box will support up to 8TBs. Currently you can only export one program at a time.

If that has been checked please try a Hard disk reset on the T-box by going into 'Settings' on the main menu and then go to 'T-Box Information' option and 'Reset Options' and click on 'ResetHardDisk' before commencing export.

Hope that helps.

-Faaiz

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Brettw

Hi I have the crashing problem also - but your solution will erase all the programs which is why I want to transfer them

Any other ideas please would be appreciated

THx
lisas

hi I have same problem, crashing while trying to export to usb, how do we fix the problem without losing the information we are trying to save??
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi lisas

Welcome to CrowdSupport. Due to the limitations of the FAT32 file system(files cannot be larger than 4gb on FAT32) export of Recordings is restricted to:

• 2 Hours of Standard Free To Air Recording, or
  • 1 Hour of High Definition Recording,

Also please ensure that when formatting the USB device, that the FAT32 file format is selected:

1. Open My Computer.
  2. Right click on the USB device.
  3. Click Format.
  4. Choose FAT32 from the File System drop down box.
  5. Click Start.
  6. Once finished, plug USB to t-box to transfer T-box recordings.

Hope that helps.

-Faaiz

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

adrianw1712
Level 3: Gumshoe

Ditto on my Tbox as well. I have two Seagates 500gb and a 1TB. Both were formatted using the same program with FAT32. The 500GB works fine on the Tbox but the 1TB doesn't. The 1TB is perfectly fine doing a backup on my laptop so there's no problem with the disk itself. I also partitioed the 1TB to two 500GB partitions and formatted to FAT32 - same problem!!

I manually copied some of the files from the 500GB disk to the 1TB and when connected to the TBox the movies could be accessed but whenever I tried to save one from the TBox it would freeze and then reset.

It's pretty obvious that we are not the only people having this problem with these larger disks so what gives Telstra???

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi adrianw1712, 

Can you clarify what you mean by "and when connected to the TBox the movies could be accessed but whenever I tried to save one from the TBox it would freeze and then reset. " As only free to air content can be exported, unless you mean movies that you have recorded via FTA, then yes this shouldn't be an issue.

The T-box also should not have an issue with 1TB drive, though there are problems with 2TB drives.

Known Limitations

My Media screen freezes and T-Box reboots when a 2TB (very large) USB device formatted in NTFS/FAT32 file format is connected to the T-Box.

Note: When the same USB device is formatted in EXT2/3, the T-Box is able to successfully access and playback content.

My Media shows a blue screen and is unable to access the contents of 2 large USB devices connected to front and rear ports of T-Box.

Note: The behaviour described above is observed when the combined total capacity of the USB devices is >1TB. When two 300GB hard drives are connected to the T-Box, the T-Box is able to successfully access and playback content.

- Jon

adrianw1712
Level 3: Gumshoe

I am talking about free-to-air movies that I have saved. I wanted to increase the size of disk used so I bought a 1TB.

I moved the files from my 500GB to my laptop and then to my 1TB Seagate. I could watch the movies I saved on the 1TB but when I tried to move a FTA movie from the Tbox to the 1TB it would stop responding and after a couple of minutes the Tbox would reset.

I'll try formatting to EXT2/3 but if the 2TB disk is a known limitation, why does Telstra tell people that they can use up to 8TB formatted to FAT32.

My tbox is about 3 years old so it's the older version.

JaydenL

To Telstra Tech support,

I've been asked by the Telstra 24/7 support team on Facebook to ask this question here. 

Faaiz_Telstra says in the first reply in this thread to "try a Hard disk reset on the T-box by going into 'Settings' on the main menu and then go to 'T-Box Information' option and 'Reset Options' and click on 'ResetHardDisk' before commencing export."

Wouldn't this wipe the HD clean of all content, therefore making this answer completely useless to export/backup the existing content to USB?

I am also having this problem.  I have used multiple USB drives, and have used the T-Box's own formatting function in the T-Box Settings.  When trying an export of any saved show of any size, it gets to a few percent exported, then the T-Box freezes, and then it restarts.

How can this be resolved?

Thanks,

Jayden

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi JaydenL, 

Can you advise what size external hard drives are being used?

- Jon

a32

When I tried to export recordings to a portable 2TB hard drive, the T-Box froze & crashed at some point - although some recordings made it across before this.   Another brand of 2TB hard drive (powered) always froze at about 1% export.

However, an old 1.5TB USB 2.0 drive has worked fine (whether having most of it full of other data helped, is unclear).

I finally got a portable 1TB hard drive to export - despite initially, the export would say 0.0% but then discontinue unexpectedly without freezing the T-Box.  I plugged the hard drive in the back USB port and another 4GB USB Stick in the front port, and exported a small recording to the USB Stick.  While this was happening, I started an export to the hard drive and this time it worked - having 2 simultaneous exports.

After this, the hard drive has exported fine for many large recordings.

On the matter of larger recordings, I am not sure why advice has been not to export them to a FAT32 file system because they would be made up of many small files (each under 4GB).

Also - if duplicates of exported recordings remain on the primary hard drive, it may be best not to delete them while the external hard drive is plugged in.  I lost a bunch of tennis recordings when I chose to delete them from "Completed Recordings", but the T-Box also deleted the identical exports.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now