CrowdSupport®
Gav24088
Level 3: Gumshoe

Tbox versus the IQ2

Answered

Hi there,

I recently (as of yesterday) took the great leap into Foxtel from Telstra, packing up my Tbox and installing an IQ2 with the free platinum package.   Notwithstanding the excellent entertainment, HD channels, etc provided by satellite Foxtel, I've since come to the view that the IQ2 is an inferior device to the Tbox.   The IQ2 does not have an FTA TV tuner??   As a result we can no longer record FTA TV or 'set reminders' for these programs, something we did constantly on the Tbox. We have to 'switch over' to our standard TV input in order to watch them.  However, we can no longer record programs on FTA TV for later viewing.  And I'm not about to spend thousands of dollars upgrading a TV that still functions perfectly well.

The Tbox is an all round user-friendly device,with access to Foxtel, FTA TV, media player and recording features.  Also, the Tbox has a much easier to use "on demand" system.   With the IQ2 you have to select and wait for "on demand" programs to download, rather than being able to stream them instantly like you can with the Tbox.  The only issue that frustrated me was the data buffering.  But with NBN now available in our area, that problem should be resolved.

While Telstra's 3 month free subscription to Foxtel is very generous, boxing it up with the "IQ2" renders the whole setup inferior to the Tbox's user friendly interface.  As a result, I find myself hooking the Tbox back up to my TV, and unlikely to renew my Foxtel at the end of the 3 month offer!  In fact I would not have made the switch to Foxtel/IQ2 had I known that it didn't possess a TV tuner in it....

My question is,  Does the IQ3 offer the same features as the Tbox?  I.E - does it record FTA TV? Does it have a more user friendly interface?  Can I stream "on demand" titles?  Because at the moment I think boxing up the inferior IQ2 with your platinum package is a mistake.

Regards,

Gavin Arnold.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Tbox versus the IQ2

Hey @Gav24088,

As I understand it the IQ3 doesn't do FTA reception, but you can get the FTA channels via the Foxtel in the same way as you would normally get things.  You can record 3 channels and watch a 4th.

In the interest of full disclosure, there have been MANY issues with the IQ3, reports of issues with remotes, the firmware etc.

If I were you, I would do a google search before committing.

This is as recent as April this year:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/foxtel-has-stopped-marketing-its-iq3-settop-box-2...

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Hey @Gav24088,

As I understand it the IQ3 doesn't do FTA reception, but you can get the FTA channels via the Foxtel in the same way as you would normally get things.  You can record 3 channels and watch a 4th.

In the interest of full disclosure, there have been MANY issues with the IQ3, reports of issues with remotes, the firmware etc.

If I were you, I would do a google search before committing.

This is as recent as April this year:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/foxtel-has-stopped-marketing-its-iq3-settop-box-2...

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Gav24088
Level 3: Gumshoe

Thanks Wanglese,

So although the IQ3 has features similar to the T-Box, it's full of bugs....  typical of companies rushing to get technology out into the market without making sure it works properly.

Until they either iron out the faults in the IQ3 or produce a decent device that avoids the need to constantly swap inputs and remotes I think I'll go back to the trusty T-Box, at least its reliable...

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now