Highlighted
JDog
Level 2: Rookie

USB device detected but cannot do anything with it

Answered
I have a USB 2gb and 1tb ntfs formatted drive. When I plug it in the front I get a MSG saying "USB device has been detected" but it doesn't show up anywhere else eg in "my media" or settings->tbox information->USB device options. I have this problem with both drives and they both work on my pc. Any ideas? Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
crackojack
Level 11: Detective
Accepted Solution

Re: USB device detected but cannot do anything with it

I can understand how frustrating it can be, I'm frustrated just thinking about it.Smiley Frustrated

Now we start grasping at straws.

When formatting a drive in NTFS, the standard "Allocation unit size" is 4096 bytes.

If the drive was formatted with a different size I don't think the T-Box will read it (at least mine doesn't).

The easiest way to check your "Allocation unit size" in Windows is;

• Go to "My Computer"
  • Right click on the desired drive.
  • Click on Format... (but don't format!)
  • You should see the Allocation unit size of the drive.

Why it wouldn't be the default size, I don't know, but like I said I'm grasping at straws.

If the information you have gained from these forums has helped you, then please take the time to thank the author by giving them kudos.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
Level 22: Superhuman

Page 29 of http://www.telstra.com.au/tv/download/document/tbox-user-guide.pdf says,

Remember that you’ll need to connect a USB storage device to the USB port on the front of your T-Box first. Your USB device must be formatted with FAT32 and the T-Box will support up to 8TBs.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
JDog

I have read on the forums that the tbox now supports ntfs formatted USB drives?
Level 22: Superhuman

OK then, is your T-Box running the latest version of firmware? (I don't use a T-Box myself, so I can't advise where to look for the information on yours, or what the designation of the latest version is, or how to get it.)
——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
crackojack

Latest firmware version is;

5.2.65-79(02-Feb-2012)

To view your version go to

• T-Box information (Channel 911)
  • Select the third Tab 'Software' and it will be listed there. 

It should update automatically if you are connected to the internet.

If the information you have gained from these forums has helped you, then please take the time to thank the author by giving them kudos.
JDog

I have the latest firmware version but unfortunately no luck. Any other ideas ?
crackojack

Did you notice if the drive activity light on your drive was on after you plugged it in?

Are your devices externally powered?

Maybe they are drawing too much for the port.

Try the rear one and see if the same thing happens.

JDog

I have tried both ports. Both drives are NOT externally powered and have an activity light which is turned on when the tbox is on. Am I looking in the wrong spot in the tbox menu for the USB device to show up?
crackojack

You're looking in the right spot, it should just be that simple.

You could try with a FAT32 formatted device.

e.g. Copy what you have on your 2GB device to a safe place and then reformat to FAT32 and see if it gets recognised.

bathroom
Level 15: Special Agent

They were discussing this on another thread ( Link ) and it seems like the T-Box can detect NTFS with the latest firmware upgarde but will not work when you try to export stuff to it. Looks like you will still need a FAT32 formatter device.

[I work for Telstra but please note that the views and opinions I express are my own and doesn't necessarily reflect those of Telstra]
JDog

I'm not trying to export stuff, just trying to play video files in my media. But the USB device just doesn't show up. Frustrating
crackojack
Accepted Solution

I can understand how frustrating it can be, I'm frustrated just thinking about it.Smiley Frustrated

Now we start grasping at straws.

When formatting a drive in NTFS, the standard "Allocation unit size" is 4096 bytes.

If the drive was formatted with a different size I don't think the T-Box will read it (at least mine doesn't).

The easiest way to check your "Allocation unit size" in Windows is;

• Go to "My Computer"
  • Right click on the desired drive.
  • Click on Format... (but don't format!)
  • You should see the Allocation unit size of the drive.

Why it wouldn't be the default size, I don't know, but like I said I'm grasping at straws.

Level 21: Augmented

Perhaps you could try using the network to stream your media instead of using a USB or Hard Disk? It's relatively easy as long as you have Windows  7 and a WiFi modem http://www.telstra.com.au/tv/download/document/media-centre-quick-start-guide-1.0.pdf

Lathania

Yes you genius. This worked. I had formatted my drives using a non default size allocation. Thanks!!!
crackojack

Well how about that.

Sometimes grasping at those straws pays off.

Glad it worked out.Smiley Happy

Crackojack

wdtvandsound

Why take files from your computer on your to your USB drive, when you can network your shared files from your computer like an apple TV or WDTV.

It works very well from a T-Box?????

It's as mobile as a Hard Drive!!

I'm not a Telstra employee.
I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.
crackojack

Hi wdtvandsound,

I guess the short answer to "Why?",  'Because you can'.

Not everyone has Windows 7 with Media player 12 to stream media.

Yes you could use media server software (if you have a Mac for instance), but some users may not be comfortable playing around with these solutions and possibly the extra cost.

You may not have instant access to your computer, it's turned off, it's stopped working for some reason or your little sister has run off with your laptop, whatever.Smiley Happy

Someone has just handed you a USB stick with their holiday photos or a movie to watch, just plug it in.

You don't want to leave your PC running for hours while you catch up on those movies you haven't watched.

Your grandmother has a T-Box but no computer and you've got some home videos for her to see.

You could just keeping adding reasons if you wanted to.

The easiest way to access external media on the T-Box is via a USB compatible device and the USB port.

With reference to streaming, you are correct in saying "It works very well from a T-Box".

Sometimes I use it that way, sometimes I don't.

Quote:"It's as mobile as a Hard Drive!!", 

I wouldn't go that far.

The even shorter answer to 'Why', is 'choice'.

If it's there and you can get it to work (and that's what these forums help to do) then it's up to you how you want to use it.

PaulHutch
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Re: USB device detected but cannot do anything with it / FAT 32 format - exact parameters

I have had some tech problems which I think may be due to incorrect FAT32 formatting.

I have exported a load of contnet to a Lacie 1GB USB drive.  This works for playing back - sometimes!   It actually is quite sluggish to list the programs in "My Recordings" > "USB Drive" and occasionally the whole TBox freezes and reboots itself.   The drive is a USB2 (not USB3) and is pretty full (around 85% of the quoted 1TB used).

I want to move all the content to a Hitachi 3TB USB3 (superspeed) drive.   Here'e waht I did:

- Formatted the 3GB drive on my desktop PC using a DOS program called Fat32Format from Ridgecrop Consultants (I havd to use this as the standard DOS format command didn't seem to work for a disc of this size)

- Copied the Netgem folder across using Windows file manager.  This took all day and all night, but seemed to complete OK.

When I tried to access the files on the 3GB drive using the TBox, I coudl see icons for each program but with the graphic images in them missing.  It was not possible to select any of teh programs or play them  I assume that the metadata was messed up, as well as possibly other issues.

I'm about to go through the whole thing again, starting from scratch, but I'm wondering if there are any special requirements for teh FAT 32 formattinng (block / sector size etc.)?    What method / utility is best for formatting these large drives, and what parameters should be used?   (I wasn't able to format the 3GB dirve using the TBox - nothing seemed to happene when I tried that command through the "Settings".)

Alsoo, once it is formatted:

- should the partition be set as "Active" using Windows Disk Manager?

-  are there any special requirements fro the "name" allocated to the disc?  (I called mine  Hitachi_3GB)

I've tried discussing this with Telstra tech support (TBox department) but the guy I spoke to had no idea about any of this and suggested that I try this forum where I might find "[customers who are more technical than we are"  

All help and suggestions gratefully accpepted.

Gocats
Level 1: Cadet

When I conect my Usb it shows content of another device (that is not conected)

When I conect my USB it shows content of another device (that is not conected). the content cant be opened but it just does not show the content of the actual conected USB.

I checked the allocation unit size which is 4096.

I checked on my computer if for some reason the content got deleted by accident, but it shows in the computer.

I tried to delet all the playlist movies, but the "wrong" movies that shows is seen from the media, not playlist.

So frustanting!!!

moooooooo
Level 1: Cadet

Re: When I conect my Usb it shows content of another device (that is not conected)

The same thing happens to me.  It will not show the contents of the next USB unless you put the TBOX into sleep mode. 

Then if you want to switch USB drives againt he same thing happens.  I have been on the phone 4 times with "tech support" and nooooooooo one knows what they are talking about.

I've now been told its becuase my drives are NTFS and not FAT 32 therefore the my media menu doesnt refresh.... however the problem has only been happening since the latest firmware update.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: When I conect my Usb it shows content of another device (that is not conected)

Moo, how are you ejecting your drives? If you are doing it the correct way via the in menu it should work fine.

- Jon

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now