Highlighted
kristynev
Level 1: Cadet

exporting recordings from TBox to USB. Help???

Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me with this. Telstra are suggesting that we export all of our recording as we need to reset the hard drive of our TBox.

To this end I purchased a 1 TB external hard drive yesterday, but have since found that this cannot easily be formatted as FAT32.. our computer only offered exFAT as an option. We got a friend to format it to FAT32 on their mac, but it made no difference, the tbox still could not use it. I therefore returned it and purchased several 32 Gig USB's as these could be formatted to FAT32.

Unfortunately our TBox detects that they are inserted, and will start exporting the recordings, then just freezes and keeps shutting itself down.

I have a 4 gig USB that it will export to with no issues, and the only difference I can see other than size between the two sticks is that the 4 gig is FAT32 4096, whereas the 32 gig is Fat32 8192 (as 4096 is not a drop down option).

Any suggestions as to what to do next???? I'm not very tech saavy and the stuff I've tried has just been from snippets of previous threads in this forum that I found whilst searching on my iphone.

Thanks Kristy Smiley Happy

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
26 REPLIES 26
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Re: exporting recordings from TBox to USB. Help???

@kristynev wrote:

To this end I purchased a 1 TB external hard drive yesterday, but have since found that this cannot easily be formatted as FAT32.

Any suggestions as to what to do next?

Thanks Kristy Smiley Happy

It can easily be formatted to FAT32 by opening up a Command Prompt (Windows Key + R, then type "cmd"). In the Command Prompt you just have to type in format /FS:FAT32 x: where "x" is the drive letter of your external drive.

I would suggest possibly trying this with your 32GB Flash Drives and see if this allows it to be exported.

According to the T-Box User Guide, it states:

• Remember that you’ll need to connect a USB storage device to the USB port on the front of your T-Box first. Your USB device must be formatted with FAT32 and the T-Box will support up to 8TBs. Currently you can only export one program at a time.
  • Recordings saved on a USB device can only be played back via a T-Box and not any other device.

Short of this, I am out of ideas. :-(

crackojack
Level 11: Detective

Hi Kristy,

The T-Box will support 1TB and definitely will support 32G, they must however be formatted with the default 'Allocation Unit Size' of 4096.

Windows itself should format 32G partitions to this size (it will not format natively above this. Microsoft did this on purpose to push towards their NTFS file system). I'm not sure why you can't format to this from inside windows.

Maybe this post might help

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/T-Box/t-box-not-exporting-to-usb/td-p/50928

As Juzman has already stated, you can do it from the command prompt.

To force an Allocation size of 4096 (and to do a quick format) type;

format/FS:FAT32/a:4096/q x:

where x is your drive letter.

Drop the '/q' if you don't want to do a quick format.

For a full list of 'switches' type help format at the command prompt.

You can however use a third party tool to do the job you want.

The Easeus partition manager (free version) seems to do the job.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

It's the one I use and it seems to work quite well.

If the information you have gained from these forums has helped you, then please take the time to thank the author by giving them kudos.
kristynev

Hi Juzman,

Im trying using this command prompt now, and its asking for a volume label???? what should i enter???

Cheers K

kristynev

Thanks for the replies Juzman and crackojack Smiley Happy

I tried using the command prompt to format the 32 Gig USB to FAT32. It took ages, and when I got to the volume label prompt I just pressed enter. It then said that the USB was formatted and good to go.

Unfortunately the same issue occurred. The Tbox recognises the USB and starts exporting, but then just shuts itself down and restarts repeatedly.

I'm amazed that something that should be so simple to do, is so difficult.

Crackojack, I also tried your command prompt, after no success with Juzman's, and it came up with a comment saying that the specified cluster size was too small for FAT32????  Looks like your 3rd party might be the next option to try. I've never used any 3rd party software before though so am not really sure what to do after downloading the free version from the site you suggested???

Thanks so much to you both for helping, if it wasn't for the fact that our toddler loves watching these shows (most of which aren't currently running on ABC2, so I can't just simply set new series recordings) I'd have given up long ago Smiley Sad

crackojack

Really not sure why you can't format from the command prompt. I don't have a (spare) large drive to try it on but I'll try and dig one up.

Looks like the link I gave you isn't going to work. I just tried the latest "free" version and it doesn't support formating anymore.

Here's another tool I found.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Just click on the picture to download the exe file.

It's a portable version so there is no install required.

Just run it, fill out the options (don't forget to put in a volume name or it crashes).

I tried it on a small USB stick I had and it seems to do the job very well.

If the information you have gained from these forums has helped you, then please take the time to thank the author by giving them kudos.
kristynev

Thanks  Crackojack.

Just checking what I should put as the volume name???

Cheers K Smiley Happy

Level 21: Augmented

It's either asking you for what letter represents the drive or to pick a nickname. Go into My Computer and see which letter represents your drive. Otherwise "Kristynev" should suffice =P
Lathania

Hey Kristy,

Lathania's answer hopefully sorted you out.

The volume name can just be a nickname you give the drive so it's easy to recogonise,

e.g. it could be T-BOX-1, T-BOX-2 etc, just to make it easy if you have more than 1 USB device you want to export recordings to.

Not important, just a bit of trivia, for FAT formatted drives the Volume label will force to UPPERCASE, NTFS will Retain Case.

Also not important but may help others reading this thread.

I worked out why my DOS command (format/FS:FAT32/a:4096/q x:) failed.

If you drop the  /q (for quick format) it works on larger drives.

This is very slow, the tool I pointed you to is a much better option.

Thanks for the Kudos, I hope you've got it all sorted.

knickers

The following worked for my 2tb seagate...The Tbox doesn't like ntfs which the drive was formatted in out of the box...I formatted it on my computer to fat32...It would only format  to a size around 380mb or something like that....thats ok...then plug it into the Tbox...Tbox now likes it use the Tbox option to format the drive....(which you couldn't do when it was ntfs)....ooompah....your new 2tb hdd is now recognized by the Tbox as a 2tb hdd...cool...most happy

soxy100

Hi every one.my tbox doesn't have a menu selection for transferring recordings.can any one help please?my USB stick is 4gb.format Fat 32
Rcubed

"Recordings saved on a USB device can only be played back via a T-Box and not
any other device. "

I've got two T-Boxes, the old 350 gb lemon and a new 500gb (only because i bought a new plan).

1.Can I export to BOTH boxes (one at a time of course - I assume Export means Copy and not Move)? I want to take my old T-Box down the coast and watch recordings on my other TV (that accepts USB input). Can it be done?

2. Does Telstra use a non standard, proprietary file format to prevent you playing back files from the USB to aTV (without the T-Box)? If so, WHY?? Man Frustrated Other smart TV/settop boxes have no such restriction (except maybe Topfield).

Rcubed

Ooops. That should read:

Can I export from BOTH boxes.

Also, if I want to keep both boxes up to date with the software releases, would I have to register and unregister each box each time or just plug in?

Wentraill

Hi

I'm trying to format my sea gate 1tb hard drive by entering the command format/FS:FAT32 f:

And I'm getting the following message:
Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

Can you help?
crackojack

To answer your question directly;

I think the reason you would be getting an access denied message is because you are not running the command prompt in 'Administrator Mode' (Windows 7)

To run a file as administrator, right click and select "Run as administrator"

Just use the T-Box to format and you won't have to worry about it.

To format your USB device directly from the T-Box.

• Menu (Scroll to)
  • Settings (Scroll to)
  • T-Box information (Scroll to)
  • USB devices
  • OK  (to select your device) (Scroll to)
  • Format USB Device
  • OK (to proceed with format)

This will erase all data on your USB device and format to FAT32.

It should now be recognised by the T-Box so that you can export your recordings.

Brettw

I have tried this & it asks me to specify a volume label?

What should I put

crackojack

The "Volume Label" is just a name for your device. It doesn't matter what it is, so long as it conforms to some specific rules.

For FAT32 devices I think the following applies;

• Maximum of 11 characters
  • No reserved characters like * ? . , ; : / \ | + = < > [ ]
  • No tabs

You can use spaces though.

FAT32 will also force to uppercase.

So for example

• T-BOX
  • MY VIDEOS
  • BRETTS USB

Should be good.

psnitch60

Hi Crackojack

I have followed the Instructions below but still no Format USB Device  shows up on screen from the menu and in settings.

Do I have to be on the Internet to Use a USB port to export from the T Box to external USB stick.

It is formatted to FAT32 so why doesn't it show on screen how to export to external Device.

Please

Chantarelle77
Level 2: Rookie

Doesn't matter what label I put, I'm told it's incorrect?

Chantarelle77

Ok, so I formatted it through my T-Box rather than my PC, and am having the same problem where the T-Box freezes during the export process.  Has that been addressed anywhere?

Level 23: Superhero

Problems getting USB sticks to perform on the Tbox can normally be cured by actually doing the formatting on the box itself as per the following;

Menu (Scroll to)

• Settings (Scroll to)
  • T-Box information (Scroll to)
  • USB devices
  • OK  (to select your device) (Scroll to)
  • Format USB Device
  • OK (to proceed with format)

After that to shift recordings from the box to the stick, if required, go back into

Menu> My Recordings> Select the show you wish to export to the usb and the options will show up Export to USB; play from begining etc. Obviously you want to export to the USB.

Just remember that you can only replay anything exported to USB via that Tbox.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Chantarelle77

As per my comment, I dd the formatting on the box itself.

The issue is not the formatting, or the drive.  The issue is the T-Box keeps freezing.  I've seen this comment over and over and yet absolutely no help provided.  Even though Telstra advise that the T-Box should suport up to 8TB, I'm guessing that that's not true, and if you want an external drive to work, you're going to have to keep it small

Ozzy66

Yesterday I formated a 16gig thumb drive using my laptop to perform a quick format. I plugged it into my Tbox and discovered that the the Tbox couldn't see it. I couldn't understand as I had used a 8gig stick before in the past straight out of the box and I was able to transfer at least 3 recordings over to the stick to be used in a Tbox in another location in the house. I rebooted the Tbox just in case and when it returned, I saw a message on the bottom of the screen saying that it had detected the stick in the slot, but still cannot read it. I wasn't until I found the message on this thread that mentioned formatting while plugged into the Tbox. I found the utility, and formatted. Afterwards the stick was recognised and now ready for use. I am guessing that if I was able to fit 3 recordings on a 8gig, then technically I should be able to fit 6 on a 16gig. We will see.

Ozzy66

UPDATE!!

I was successfull with transferring five hour long recordings over to my 16 gig USB thumb drive. Technically each recording is 1 hour and 25 mins in duration because I set the Pre-record time to start 5 mins before the scheduled program starts, and post-record an extra 20 mins to ensure I don't miss the end of a show due to other shows before my scheduled show going into overtime which DOES happen. From what I can work out, each 1 hour and 25 min show roughly takes 2.9 gig of hard drive space. Since the Tbox reports a percentage rating to what space is being used in recordings, I estaimated that each recording was taking about 18% of a 16 gig drive. I personally recommend formatting your USB stick or external drive using the formatting option that comes with the Tboxes dashboard (firmware).

Ozzy66

As a user of Tboxes for the last 5 years (approx), I have only had a few problems over the years. The first gen remotes were the biggest of the problems. There were some system "lock-ups", but they were easily resolved by a system reset, or just off and on at the mains. I have lost one Tbox which was about a year ago due to a "electrical spike", which only affected the Tbox on that GPO (it was not surge protected). The two boxes that I still have work perfectly fine (one is the older model).

I have only started exporting recordings just recently because one has more recordings than the other and is running out of HD space because it has the smaller HD. I have only experimented with USB sticks so far (which have worked fine with the transfers, and playback on the target Tbox), but I would like to try out larger external HD's because I've discovered that I can do a kind of a batch (multiple) tranfer of recordings as opposed to one at a time which was all I thought that I could do. I will report back the results at a later date. 

fester2au

Hey guys just bringing this issue back up.

I'm havign the same issue that doesn't seem to be totally resolved. I have a 1TB external hard drive that has been formatted within the TBox. The unit recognises the drive fine but I have the same issue that when I try to export recordings it counts up to about 0.2% exported then the system freezes up and eventually reboots. I've tried several times. I've reformatted the drive a couple of times (again via the TBox) and I've also reset the TBox all without success.

The frist tiem I tried to export it seemed to be working perfectly. I selected a couple of recording to do and it appeared to be workign so I went back to watching TV. The next time I went to have a look nothign exported and now it wont work at all.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi fester2au, 

Have you tried exporting to a different USB device? It could be the T-Box doesn't like your external hard drive.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now