CrowdSupport®
billingissue
Level 3: Gumshoe

Intercom feature on TIPT

Hi I'm trying to setup an intercom system on our offices that works like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE7QDgSeXtc - I believe I have the basics configure in the custom tags in the EWS - however it doesn't quite work.

https://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP-SIP-Phones/FAQ-Using-Enhanced-Feature-Keys-EFK-macros-to-chang...

The polycom site shows the action as being $Tintercom$ - however that doesn't seem quite right as everything else is usually a series of numbers to dial a function on the handset.

Can you please advise?

Thanks.

Thanks
Mark.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Telstra Products & Services Team

Re: Intercom feature on TIPT

Mark,

not something i have seen implemented - the broadworks equivalent is push to talk - *50 , however this is only contained in the exec pack.

I can see that there is a new intercom feature for point to point with no server in polycom 5.2.0 firmware and up -  https://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP-SIP-Phones/FAQ-How-can-I-change-my-Ringtone-or-Ring-in-a-speci...

We are only at 5.1.8k at present unfortunately.

Brad
NateB
Level 6: Bloodhound

Hi Mark,

The $Xaction$ is a special Polycom softkey code. TIPT uses similar $$ codes for some softkey actions, primarily for Call Centre. Something that ties in with your other post, if you have the Call Park softkey configured, then the softkey action is $Chold$*68 ($C = active call; hold$ = put it on hold ; then dial *68).

The $$ code seems to be a small portion of it. The actual T code seems to be for setting up a single dial (always dial EXT 4321 for example). It seems you would need a few config items to actually get it working, so more than likely, even if you setup the softkey, the intercom \ auto answer component will never actually work.

Brad means 5.8.1k. I think it would be fairly safe to say it should be available in a 5.8.x release, but even if so, it's not enabled for TIPT. Potentially if you know your TAGS, you could add the softkey exactly as Polycom state, however, the issue is that you won't be able to specifically enable the intercom feature in the phone config as it's not in the TIPT config. You could try reaching out to your Account Exec, to work with engineering to provide a custom config to enable it, but this will likely have an associated cost. Otherwise, working with a TIPT Detailer could provide you with a supported configuration that suits your needs.

As Brad mentions, PTT (Executive Pack) is the TIPT method for this. You can setup 1 way or 2 way PTT 'intercom' (on each originating user), and you can configure the allowed callers on each destination user. You can directly page someone using PTT, or you can setup a instant call group (I suggest using *80 --diversion inhibitor-- prepended on each number, so if someone is busy \ DnD \ phone is disconnected, it won't page to their VM \ forward destination).

I am a Telstra Employee participating in CrowdSupport on my own time my opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.

Opps - correct - meant 5.8.1k ... monday...

Brad
billingissue
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi @BradKelly and @NateB thankyou both for your answers.

I did manage to enable the intercom feature by downloading the polycom config from the individual phone's web interface, adding the relevant lines to the config then re-uploading. SO I now have an intercom softkey which does ring the relevant extension - BUT the phone on the other end does not recognise this as an intercom call and as such does not auto answer. I have spent days trying multiple combinations of alert-info sip headers and classifying different ring types etc - but nothing has worked. I think the problem is TIPT is NOT passing the alert-info information in the header - or is stripping it out.

I think this link puts it the best - http://support.yealink.com/faq/faqInfo?id=546 

When receiving INVITE message with any of following Header, phone will answer the intercom automatically:

1/ intercom=true

2/ Alert-Info: auto answer

3/ Alert-Info: info=alert-autoanswer

4/ Alert-Info: answer-after=0

First one is the default setting on the phone. Above 2 to 4, Configure the phone via auto provisioning to accept the Header that is supported by the server side, the configure feature please refer to below after provisioning, the alert-info will be added to INVITE Header:

account.X.alert_info = 

For example:  account.X.alert_info =  <sip: xxx@xxx >;info=alert-autoanswer;delay=0

13.png

Is there any way that you know of to configure TIPT to pass the alert info in the header so the phone will recognise that it is in fact an intercom call?

Thanks

Mark.

Thanks
Mark.
NateB
Level 6: Bloodhound

Hi Mark (@billingissue),

Manipulating the config files isn't supported. They may be defaulted at any time, especially if you change anything that has a noticable impact to the platform.

If push to talk isn't suitable, as suggested, you need to contact your account team to work with engineering for a custom config file.

Regards,

NateB.

I am a Telstra Employee participating in CrowdSupport on my own time my opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now