CrowdSupport®
firewight
Level 2: Rookie

Who can help us?

Hi all, in desperation I have come here to ask for help, I have been bounced around to 6 different Telstra departments and a dozen different people, nobody seems to have ANY clue what is going in.

Its completely infuriating...

So to the problem. We have a Telstra box in our commercial building, it has a "National Wholesale Service Centre" label, with the number 1802288, and an ID of SD56 1/201/2 on the box.

The box has 4 backup batteries inside, and I have been told if the power is switched off, and those batteries run out of power, the device will lose its memory.

Nobody that I am able to speak with at Telstra has a single clue what this box is or how to deal with this problem.

ANY help would be appreciated...

NJ

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Who can help us?

It might be equipment provided by Telstra Wholesale (which is different to the Telstra that most people deal with).

Try giving 1300 897 378 a call and see if the information that you have makes sense to them.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 22: Superhuman

My oldest friend is probably Telstra's  oldest and biggest wholesaler.

His answer is that it's simply a back-up for the phone system, and of no concern.

Certain customers deal with Telstra Wholesale,  and it's of no concern, as it's possibly from a previous occupant of the building you now occupy. Don't worry!

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles "you" to be an expert at everything!!"
firewight

@ProfessorPhone wrote:

My oldest friend is probably Telstra's  oldest and biggest wholesaler.

His answer is that it's simply a back-up for the phone system, and of no concern.

Certain customers deal with Telstra Wholesale,  and it's of no concern, as it's possibly from a previous occupant of the building you now occupy. Don't worry!

Unfortunately that is not the case here, I have been informed that it does in fact run our SIP lines, and losing power will cause the device to lose its programming...

Either way, I cant take the risk that this is what will happen, so I need to speak with the correct people who will *know* what it is...

firewight

@Jupiter wrote:

It might be equipment provided by Telstra Wholesale (which is different to the Telstra that most people deal with).

Try giving 1300 897 378 a call and see if the information that you have makes sense to them.

Thanks, I did try your number, & as I suspected it was one of the ones I had already tried (and failed with), the same run around with Telstra, nobody either understands what I'm saying, or knows who can help...

Level 22: Superhuman

You could get a UPS to cover that eventuality

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles "you" to be an expert at everything!!"
firewight

@ProfessorPhone wrote:

You could get a UPS to cover that eventuality

Aware, however I am not aware of the load requirements of the device etc...

Once again, I need to speak with someone who knows what it is and can give technical information.

Have you spoken to your account manager? If it runs your phone system then they should have the details.  They should also be able to organise someone to come out and service it for you (and organise to replace the batteries if they are no longer holding their charge).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
firewight

@Jupiter wrote:

Have you spoken to your account manager? If it runs your phone system then they should have the details.  They should also be able to organise someone to come out and service it for you (and organise to replace the batteries if they are no longer holding their charge).

Yes we've tried this. They dont know what it is... Its an infuriating situation... 1 hand saying its a critical piece of infrastructure, and the providers having no clue what it is...

It's not about batteries holding charge at all, its about how long they can power the system without mains power. As we dont know what the current draw of the unit is, we have no way to calculate that. We are a technology company and understand completely about batteries and amperage etc, its simply a matter of no specifications or information is available, and no parties want to "own" this unit...

If the unit is plugged in to a powerpoint using a standard plug, then it is quite easy to determine the average current draw. Plug in a Power Meter between the plug and socket and let it run for a few hours during the middle of a normal workday. This will give you the power consumption and you will be able to work out how long the batteries will last (assuming they are 100% serviceable and you know the AH rating of the batteries) if the power goes off during business hours.

firewight

@Jupiter wrote:

If the unit is plugged in to a powerpoint using a standard plug, then it is quite easy to determine the average current draw. Plug in a Power Meter between the plug and socket and let it run for a few hours during the middle of a normal workday. This will give you the power consumption and you will be able to work out how long the batteries will last (assuming they are 100% serviceable and you know the AH rating of the batteries) if the power goes off during business hours.

You would think so, however it is a non standard interface that can not be unplugged.

Thanks for trying, but believe me when I say I have come here as a last resort, things like this have all been addressed, I just need Telstra to supply information on the unit itself...

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now