CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Oldy4
Level 2: Rookie

How to access Chromecast from my ipad

Answered

I have a Telstra Mobile Plus BYO plan with unlimited phone calls and substantial data provision linked to my iPhone number and which is linked via a Data Share Sim to my iPad.I receive good internet cover on both devices and am able to access my wireless printer from my iPad by using the wifi setting.I do not however know if I have a Wifi Network or if so what my network name and password is.

i have recently purchased a Chromecast device and have successfully connected it to my non smart t.v from my ipad (have all the necessary on screen details) I have also downloaded a number of  entertainment Apps including Foxtelnow which came with my plan.I can view these on my iPad but cannot 'cast' them to my tv as I cannot complete the connection/installation.

When I reach the latter part of the installation process where I am asked to provide Wifi Network and Password details I am at a loss because I don't know what it is or indeed if I have a network as part of my plan (although I can use my wireless printer )

Can I complete the Chromecast set up from my iPad using wifi or is there any other way of doing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: How to access Chromecast from my ipad

The iPad can connect to your printer via printer without first connecting to a WiFi network because it uses WiFi direct. You need a WiFi network for Chromecast to work

You will have to enable WiFi hot spot on your phone and connect your iPad and the Chromecast to this WiFi Network.
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204023

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Oldy4

Well...despite 32 views looks like my question was too silly or too hard !!!...I still find it hard to understand why I cannot complete my set up of Chromecast.My Telstra mobile call and data plan does not as far as I am aware preclude my use of Chromecast and I have established the required link between my iPad and tv.I do not have a wifi network name or password but my iPad clearly has access to wifi as demonstrated by unlimited access via wifi to my wireless printer.
Telstra treated me as an idiot when I spoke to someone who simply said you do not have wifi!!!! although I pointed out that my device recognizes a wifi link with my printer and Chromecast established tv.
Why can't I find my wifi network or password.Is my iPad my network ????
When as a last resort I went to Hotspot on my settings and was advised on screen that my network was 'iPad' and that my password was ????. Neither of which I recognized or worked when entered.
Does anybody have a clue what is happening.I may be of mature years,not terribly interested in spending every waking hour on my phone or iPad but I like to think I am not stupid !!!!
Any suggestions very welcome.
Regards
Oldie4
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Basically the chrome cast needs to connect to your home wifi network so that you can cast to it. You could turn your phone into a hotspot but im not sure if that works in regards to casting
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Accepted Solution

The iPad can connect to your printer via printer without first connecting to a WiFi network because it uses WiFi direct. You need a WiFi network for Chromecast to work

You will have to enable WiFi hot spot on your phone and connect your iPad and the Chromecast to this WiFi Network.
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204023

View solution in original post

Oldy4

Many thanks for that.Will follow up the hotspot .Your reply is much appreciated.
Paddie1
Level 1: Cadet

I also have mobile plus but can't access WiFi hotspots or Telstra air where I am, any solutions for using Chromecast or Google home

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Paddie1,

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately you won't be able to connect your Google Chromecast to Telstra Air. However information about connecting your Chromecast to a personal wireless hotspot can be found here https://support.google.com/chromecast/forum/AAAAt7PFQG4AFoHFeIFTrE/?hl=en.

- Tim 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Paddie1

Thanks, but it's not Telstra air I have, it's a mobile internet connection to my tablet but it doesn't seem to register as WiFi, Telstra salesperson at a local dealer said was no problem

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Paddie1, I'd like to drill down on this. Can your chromecast see any other wifi networks? 

Can it see a wifi hotspot from your mobile phone? Give it a try and let us know - Matthew.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Oldy4

Hi Paddie1,I have used the hotspot on my iPhone to link with my iPad and Chromecast and with a bit of fiddling about I can 'cast 'from my iPad to my non smart tv.I understand from more technically inclined than I that the hotspot effectively acts as a router sending wifi to any device within range
Is complicated because my iPhone is my principal source of Internet,wifi etc and my iPad is linked to the iPhone with a data share sim.Many thanks to all who responded to my initial post.Oldie4
Paddie1

Don't appear to be able to find a wifi hotspot, the simis in my tabletwhich acts as my phone as well, I have internet connection also on this plus a data sim for my computer dongle, linked data share service. Chrome cast network and google home both come up on my computer and on the tablet but advisethat internet may not be avaiable, On my tablet it also says ( + add network) but i can't find any. Please, any advice is welcome, Iam 66 and not too tech savvy, but assumed when the salesman said I should have no problem connecting this that it would be simple!
Paddie1

When I turn on the hotspot on my phone it promptly tells me to turn it off or I can't connect to wifi! My tablet is also my phone but the computer won'tlet me do it either, how is wireless internet so different to wifi?

Cellular Wireles (3G/4G) and Wireless WiFi are are just two of the different transmission links that you are use for connecting to the internet.

Wireless WiFi is used for the local area network and can be used for connecting local devices together and to a central devices that has access to the internet. When you use the phone to create a hot spot it becomes the central device that uses cellular Wireless to connecting to the internet and creates a WiFi network for connecting local devices.

Chromecast  can only connect to local WiFi network. it cannot connect directly the internet.

You could use your tablet to create a hotspot, connect your PC and the chromecast device to the local hotspot and then use a plugin for the chrome browser on your PC to cast the PC display to chromecast.  There are also apps in the Windows store that will cast media from a PC to Chromcast.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/set-up-google-chromecast,news-18283.html

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now