No_Boundaries
Level 3: Gumshoe

NEW ICS OTA from Motorola for Xoom

Motorola has advised they (all being ready) will be pushing out the AOSP 4.0.4 to motorola Xoom, At last...

My concern is how much bloat ware is going to come from telstra in this update.

We have current Android 3.2 telstra apps that are plain useless, they dont work, and just keep ans saying check back, well in 12 mnths its a lot of checking back for nothing.

Are you, Telstra going to send out the OTA without bloatware?

We are looking at an undertaking by Telstra that NO delays will be placed in ICS delivery.

Its the very least you can do is get it out on time...!!!!!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
19 REPLIES 19
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: NEW ICS OTA from Motorola for Xoom

I'm not sure how this works, however if its a Telstra Branded device then its likely that they will need to test the ROM, and add the relevant "customisations" that other customers do use and do want.

Please don't expect it to be issues straight away. Major ROM updates are released on http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobile-phones/smartphones/index.htm

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

No_Boundaries

No, not branded, wish it was then i could hold Telstra accountable for the misleading statements made on Xoom. Its Motorola through and through, sorry googlrola since Google purchased Motorola Mobility. The OTA should be new OS and OS alone that arives on or about 21 june 2012.

Interesting that Telstra dont have a update page for Tablets, they arent even mentioned on the phone table ( link provided)

Cheers

Ben_F

@No_Boundaries wrote:

No, not branded, wish it was then i could hold Telstra accountable for the misleading statements made on Xoom.

Did you get it from Telstra? If not, and its a stock Moto build, then it will likely be rolled out without consultation by Telstra. If it has Telstra branding anywhere in the OS (ie: not a "Carrier Free") device, then it will likely need to be "approved" by Telstra which may involve the "coat of paint" that is carrier customisation.

I'm not an expert on the Xoom, so I can't really agree or deny with the "misleading statements" part. Always been an iPad guy myself Smiley Happy

@No_Boundaries wrote:

The OTA should be new OS and OS alone that arives on or about 21 june 2012.

Interesting that Telstra dont have a update page for Tablets, they arent even mentioned on the phone table ( link provided)

If the device does not have Telstra Customised (ie: Telstra Branded) firmware on it then Telstra isn't likely to know the timing of the updates. I referred you to that site as I saw its predecessor updated with the Iconia Tab when there was an update for that (I think it was the Iconia Tab lol).

If its just a Moto Push, then its up to Moto. If its a Telstra push, then you may need to wait a bit for them to confirm it doesn't do anything dodgy with the network (as is required under the ACMA rules).

B.

New Users - Click Here!

No_Boundaries

I am thinking twice about my next purchase, what to buy and whom to get network access through.

Its motoogle push, telstra have some Alps but have never worked, as mentioned they have had 12 months to get them right, they can't, so they should be removed! Can't uninstall them by user and definitely not include them in any new os release, just push it out. Oddly enough you can get OTA either wifi or umts, and its a global push of a sorts, like iOS.but android.

We shall see!!!!!

Ben_F

@No_Boundaries wrote:
Its motoogle push, telstra have some Alps but have never worked, as mentioned they have had 12 months to get them right, they can't, so they should be removed! Can't uninstall them by user and definitely not include them in any new os release, just push it out. Oddly enough you can get OTA either wifi or umts, and its a global push of a sorts, like iOS.but android.

From what I remember, the ability to remove apps is located in the OS, so you would need to wait for an OTA update to fix this.

Telstra, As Far As I Know, said that all new Smartphone updates would provide the ability to remove TelstraOne. I would expect Telstra to hold to that. 

New Users - Click Here!

Level 22: Superhuman

TonyM wrote:

THIS IS A TABLET, NOT A SMARTPHONE !!!!

From one CrowdSupport user to another: Stop SHOUTING. It does not make what you write any more important or credible in anyone else's mind; we'd only think you're either being discourteous, or your Caps Lock key is stuck.

kNOW YOU PRODUCT FORGOODNESS SAKE IF YOU ARE GOING TO OFFER ADVICE.

It's not Ben_F's product. It's not my product, either, when I only participate and post on CrowdSupport in a personal capacity. Considering where Ben_F sits on the list of most kudoed contributors, I'd say his advice is well regarded by the CrowdSupport user community at large, regardless of Telstra's products and services not being ‘his’.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
TonyM
Level 8: Inspector

Don't give a dam about how many posts he's made. If the advice is wrong, doesn't help anyone, especially when Telstra for 12 months have going to correct this, and have done absolutely nothing and he has suggested totally wrong advice, especially advice that could adversly effect the operation of the product.

The there were the Telstra staff selling Xooms to customers and telling them how great they would be on 4G when it arrived and then telling customers after 4G arrived they wouldn't now be following the US lead and making the adjustment required to Xooms to access 4G network. The xoom experience for many Telstra customers has been an expensive fail.

Ben_F

Drat is right. Reading your post I get an image in my head of a middle aged man screaming at me.

Drat's comment was not about the number of posts, but the number of kudos or votes from The community. I'm always will to be corrected however Smiley Happy

I'm going to reply more on topic when I get back to my PC later tonight.

New Users - Click Here!

No_Boundaries

Passions running hot, Telstra needs to make sure this OTA goes smoothly, very smothly, that is on time with minimal bloat.

We all know what happened to Apple and their 4G claims and the action taken to rectify, this has just either gone under the rader of the ACCC , for now, or yet to erupt.

In any case, I just want the ICS update on time and from here on in, not to be used as a guinea pig.

Any input in to process that seems to be mystical, when others just make it happen means a huge step to be taken, or lose out, regardless how big they think they are.

No one seems to want to know about Xoom, it got pushed into a corner, in seemingly admission by Telstra.

Moving on, make it all work please. if you can influence this thank you, if not appreciate your energy. At least someone is listening....

Ben_F

@No_Boundaries wrote:

Passions running hot, Telstra needs to make sure this OTA goes smoothly, very smothly, that is on time with minimal bloat. 

With all respect, Telstra doesn't need to do anything

B.

New Users - Click Here!

No_Boundaries

Depends on what "anything" is, they haven't in the past so why expect change.. I am just a customer,, was..
Ben_F

@No_Boundaries wrote:
Depends on what "anything" is, they haven't in the past so why expect change.. I am just a customer,, was..

What I'm saying is that as long as the product is fit for purpose then Telstra don't need to do anything (ie: push out the latest software).

B.

New Users - Click Here!

No_Boundaries wrote:

Passions running hot is hardly a reason for Telstra to be obliged. Your passions – and I respect your prerogative to feel any emotions you want about anything at all – are your responsibility to control and manage. If you'd given a reason of, “Lots of future revenue is at stake,” or even simply, “My continued custom will be conditional on this,” then I'd say there is more of a discussion to be had.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
No_Boundaries

the product is not made by telstra, they are a sales channel who have made statements that are seperate in issue, that stated certain facts that could be considered as misleading and deceptive. The Trade Practices legislation has numerous rights and remedies for the consumer and fairly hefty penalties for companies and agents who screw around the consumer, and if you cast you mind back a few weeks ago, Apple received the wrath for misleading statements. The issue for telstra is either they stand by the product they sell or dont sell them. The customer speaks loudly..and acts with their feet. When warranties are finished its not over by any means. So best they do the right thing. In most cases they have contract with the purchaser, the contract binds in many ways.

No_Boundaries

passions in so far as the thread, I dont have passion for obligations, I expect them once made to be honoured.

What worries me more is that, if the attitude is as Drat and Ben_F shows, then Telstra has not much future, and I need to sell my shares.

No_Boundaries wrote:

the product is not made by telstra, they are a sales channel who have made statements that are seperate in issue, that stated certain facts that could be considered as misleading and deceptive.

So try the "product is not fit for purpose as advertised" angle and get a refund of the purchase price. If it's a major defect that would have prevented you from purchasing the product in the first place, then you can elect to have the product exchanged, repaired (assuming it can be repaired in a way to fix the defect) or refunded – but you don't get to dictate to the retailer what it must do for all other customers, which is what I think you're doing here.

——

No_Boundaries

No, not at all, if you look at other forums on the product you will be suprised the ground swell of discord.

In so far as repairs, Motorola is aware and taken steps to manage client relationships, to their credit. a good lesson for others to learn.

Level 23: Superhero

Anyone here received the ICS firmware update during the last 3 days for their 3g/WiFi Telstra Xoom. And who has NOT got the download yet, like us?

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Level 23: Superhero

Well got the update this morning and I have to say it's great. Faster browser and much more usable. A lot of well just little

refinements, but great.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now