Highlighted
Fakestamp
Level 4: Private Eye

NEW IPAD AIR USER - QUESTIONS

Answered

Hello,

Just received my new ipad air. My previous ipad was the original and was wi-fi only. The Ipad air is both wi-fi and 4G.

I was hoping someone could answer a few basic questions, mainly because I am aware previously that certain Ipad functionality is not available in Australia, and also because I have not used a 4G version before.

I think they are fairly simple questions, just thought I would come here first before ringing customer service.

Q1 - Does facetime audio calls work in australia? is it same as facetime video in that both have to be connected to a wi-fi network ?

Q2 - I have received a sim card (to access the data), and when setting the ipad air up it linked to my mobile number and main email account. What is the purpose of this if I cant make calls?

Q3 - Messaging - I tried to send a message and it said sent but the receiving phone never received. Do I need to activate this in settings or something ?

Q4 Re Q2 above - its says its linked to my main email account (via Icloud I think) yet when I go to use the email app it asks me to set up my email account (like when setting up for email on my iphone). So if its picked up my main email address, why do I still need to set it up ?

Q4 - Re Q2 and Q4 above - where did it get my email and mobile number ? Is it because I used my apple ID and it got information from cloud ? Just not sure why it picks up mobilke number if you cant make call or send message, and why its picked up my email put still wants me to set it up?

This is new functionality that I wasnt using on my previous ipad, so they may sound like dumb questions, apologies, and kudos to anyone who can answer all the questions Smiley Happy

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kangadruu
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Re: NEW IPAD AIR USER - QUESTIONS

Q1 - Does facetime audio calls work in australia? is it same as facetime video in that both have to be connected to a wi-fi network ?

You can Facetime video/audio through the cellular network as well (it works internationally).  The problem is not knowing if the receiver is on a network to accept your facetime call.  Facetime is still in beta (I believe).

Q2 - I have received a sim card (to access the data), and when setting the ipad air up it linked to my mobile number and main email account. What is the purpose of this if I cant make calls?

I believe you are talking about logging on to iMessage.  It askes you to confirm your Apple Account which I believe you used your main email address.  Youre iMessage has your mobile linked to it as well.  The simcard connects to mobile phone towers to receive data.  If you open a Wireless USB stick, there is a sim card in it as well. 

I'm sure in your plan it allows data and texting (at a price) but calling is not listed (check your plan).  You can get around it by using Viber, skype or something like that.

Q3 - Messaging - I tried to send a message and it said sent but the receiving phone never received. Do I need to activate this in settings or something ?

This might be because you are:

sending it as an iMessage as a priority and not as a text; or

you are sending it through your mobile phone number and not your current number. 

Also, does the receiver have iMessage activated?  If so, did the receiver have internet to receive the iMessage?  I do not know about activating something, maybe someone from Telstra can help.

Q4 Re Q2 above - its says its linked to my main email account (via Icloud I think) yet when I go to use the email app it asks me to set up my email account (like when setting up for email on my iphone). So if its picked up my main email address, why do I still need to set it up ?

If it picks up your main email, it could be that you used your main email as your Apple ID.  You have to try and understand the Apple ID connects to iCloud and Email Accounts is something separate.  When a device is linked up to the iCloud it pushes it to the other devices.  So, if you set up your emails on your iPhone and back it up on iCloud, that information should carry on to your iPad.    You can check to see if you have done this on your phone by going:

Settings>iCloud

Make sure that the account is connected to your Apple account and turn on Mail.  This should then push it to your iPad when you log into iCloud with your iPad. 

You then might have to scroll down to 'Storage and Backup' and click Sync Now in the iCloud settings.  If that option is not available, you must turn on the iCloud backup feature as you may have told iTunes that you will back it up on your computer instead.

Q4 - Re Q2 and Q4 above - where did it get my email and mobile number ? Is it because I used my apple ID and it got information from cloud ? Just not sure why it picks up mobilke number if you cant make call or send message, and why its picked up my email put still wants me to set it up?

When you logged in to Apple, it obtained your mobile number through iMessaging.  This means, if someone texts you through iMessage, you will receive it on your iPad.  However, if it is a text, you wont see it on your iPad.  

Your new sim has another mobile number which can be found (googled this):

On a bill/peice of paper from telstra that came with your iPad;

Aparently the new Telstra 24/7 app tells you the number but may be for only the prepaid customers;

or call Telstra for this information.

Turn off imessage and then message your mobile phone and you can get it.

I've never owned a Cellular ipad to answer this question properly.

You may have more questions, so don't be afraid to ask or I may have answered it wrong because I prefer to physically see the problem and fix it.

Hope this helps.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
kangadruu
Accepted Solution

You can Facetime video/audio through the cellular network as well (it works internationally).  The problem is not knowing if the receiver is on a network to accept your facetime call.  Facetime is still in beta (I believe).

I believe you are talking about logging on to iMessage.  It askes you to confirm your Apple Account which I believe you used your main email address.  Youre iMessage has your mobile linked to it as well.  The simcard connects to mobile phone towers to receive data.  If you open a Wireless USB stick, there is a sim card in it as well. 

I'm sure in your plan it allows data and texting (at a price) but calling is not listed (check your plan).  You can get around it by using Viber, skype or something like that.

This might be because you are:

sending it as an iMessage as a priority and not as a text; or

you are sending it through your mobile phone number and not your current number. 

Also, does the receiver have iMessage activated?  If so, did the receiver have internet to receive the iMessage?  I do not know about activating something, maybe someone from Telstra can help.

If it picks up your main email, it could be that you used your main email as your Apple ID.  You have to try and understand the Apple ID connects to iCloud and Email Accounts is something separate.  When a device is linked up to the iCloud it pushes it to the other devices.  So, if you set up your emails on your iPhone and back it up on iCloud, that information should carry on to your iPad.    You can check to see if you have done this on your phone by going:

Settings>iCloud

Make sure that the account is connected to your Apple account and turn on Mail.  This should then push it to your iPad when you log into iCloud with your iPad. 

You then might have to scroll down to 'Storage and Backup' and click Sync Now in the iCloud settings.  If that option is not available, you must turn on the iCloud backup feature as you may have told iTunes that you will back it up on your computer instead.

When you logged in to Apple, it obtained your mobile number through iMessaging.  This means, if someone texts you through iMessage, you will receive it on your iPad.  However, if it is a text, you wont see it on your iPad.  

Your new sim has another mobile number which can be found (googled this):

On a bill/peice of paper from telstra that came with your iPad;

Aparently the new Telstra 24/7 app tells you the number but may be for only the prepaid customers;

or call Telstra for this information.

Turn off imessage and then message your mobile phone and you can get it.

I've never owned a Cellular ipad to answer this question properly.

You may have more questions, so don't be afraid to ask or I may have answered it wrong because I prefer to physically see the problem and fix it.

Hope this helps.

Fakestamp
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi kangadruu
Thanks for your detailed replies helped a lot.
I have never had a cellular activated one either, and doubt I am even worried about the messaging as I will just use my phone, was just something new and couldnt figure it out
Spoke to telstra in live chat this morning - apparantly the "imessage" only works apple to apple - and I think they were a bit confused too so I dint end up asking all the questions I wanted.
All good, I like the new tablet and dont really care about the messaging or facetime........
I did think that face time (on mobile) only worked oppn two apple devices (doesnt work on other brand phones) and only via wi-fi - although if it works on cellular as well might try that but am still guessing its apple to apple only - and it would probably only be a novelty I doubt the ipad will replace the phone as the main calling device
Anyway thanks for taking time to answer ALL my questions, Kudo given, and does make it a little clearer
Cheers

kangadruu

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that iMessage and Facetime are Apple to Apple only feature.  Facetime works great for people overseas but an easier alternative is skype (doesn't have to be an apple product as this app is available on most tablets and smartphones) as you will be able to see if they are online or not.

In relation to iMessage, If you have your phone next to your iPad, they both go off at the same time or one after the other.  Gets quite annoying at times and you would have to clear the notification out or am I just too OCD?

Glad to help.  Registered to just answer your questions.

I am waiting on a 128 iPad Air or Mini.  Whichever I can get my hands on first but the more I wait the more I am leaning towards a Mini.

Jellybeans03
Level 1: Cadet

Just received my new iPad Air 2 that is on a plan but when I put the new sim in it says no service? Can anyone help

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now