Highlighted
Zaphod42
Level 2: Rookie

Personal Hotspots on new iPad?

Answered

I understand that the new iPad supports the use of personal hotspots but it is carrier dependent. I have that functionality on my current iPhone 4S through Telstra. Does anyone know whether the iPad 3 or "new iPad" will be able to be used as a personal hotspot so I can access the internet on my laptop? I want to avoid having to pay access fees through my wireless dongle AND a 3G plan on Telstra on the iPad.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Personal Hotspots on new iPad?

I know you guys have been waiting for this good news, so for owners of the new iPad on Telstra, the Personal Hot-spot feature is now available.

The carrier settings will be 'pushed out' to new iPads on the Telstra network progressively over the coming days. You'll receive a pop-up notification advising when the update is available for you.

Need to know: There's no charge for activating this feature, however, ongoing usage rates apply. If you enable Personal Hot-spot we recommend you review your data allowances to ensure you do not incur excess usage charges. Instructions on how to monitor your usage is available here. We also offer additional data packs that may come in handy.

Keeping you connected....CrowdSurfer

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
51 REPLIES 51
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@Zaphod42 wrote:

I understand that the new iPad supports the use of personal hotspots but it is carrier dependent. I have that functionality on my current iPhone 4S through Telstra. Does anyone know whether the iPad 3 or "new iPad" will be able to be used as a personal hotspot so I can access the internet on my laptop? I want to avoid having to pay access fees through my wireless dongle AND a 3G plan on Telstra on the iPad.

No-One knows anything about the new iPad in relation to Carrier Settings as of yet. Twitter/Facebook teams have already said that once they find out, they will tell us all Smiley Happy

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Clith95
Level 1: Cadet

*bump* any new news on this?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Clith95 wrote:

*bump* any new news on this?

Sorry nothing yet! When and if we do, we wil most definitely post about it. 

I guess watch this space for further updates. 

Regards,

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

puddlejumper5

Telstra themselves have disabled this feature.. It is a crucial feature for the new iPad... Why disable it?

Chucky
Level 3: Gumshoe

puddlejumper5, that is the 6 millions dollar question.

Other carriers have also confirmed they will be making the hotspot feature live shortly

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1884863&p=2#r26

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1885467#r5

Yet still no timeframe or real confoirmation from Telstra Smiley Sad

ozsmac

Hoping that this is just a case of Telstra needing to make available a carrier update, and not a policy response not enabling this key feature of the iPad.  Having battled with stability of my Telstra Ultimate Next-G MyFi (AC753S), since I purchased outright a few months back, I'm rather desperate to have some form of stable MyFi capability when travelling.

Please Telstra, at least confirm what your policy is going to be for enablement of Personal Hotspot on "The New iPad"  (aka iPad 3).

If not, this iPad is going straight back to the Apple store, as it was the "straw" that got me over the line for an upgrade from iPad 2.  New screen & hotspot & HSDPA+DC & graphics/ram upgrade = ok....subtract hotspot & it's not so compelling.

Oh by the way, while you are at it, could you force access to the required spectrum & re-build the LTE network to accommodate the Apple iPad Smiley Wink  (Tongue-in-cheek).

(edit due to spelling)

Zaphod42

Thanks everyone for their responses so far. It's safe to say we will have to wait and see what Telstra decide. It does seem strange to have functionality that is disabled though.

Chucky

Still no update? .......

Brendanmc

Why has there been no response from telstra, a simple yes or no answer would suffice.
Chucky

They are too busy trying to figure out ways of saying

"Only those on a paid plan will get access to this feature, all of you poor suckers on prepaid we don't care about"

For reference sake, Vodafone, Optus (and Virgin) have all said they will support the feature, so I guess I know who will be getting my business in future.

Ben_F

@Chucky wrote:

They are too busy trying to figure out ways of saying

"Only those on a paid plan will get access to this feature, all of you poor suckers on prepaid we don't care about"

For reference sake, Vodafone, Optus (and Virgin) have all said they will support the feature, so I guess I know who will be getting my business in future.

Evidence?

New Users - Click Here!

HoneyB

It doesn't work on post-paid either. I'm on a 24-month 4GB a month post-paid plan.

Chucky

Evidence like: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1884863&p=3#r46 or https://twitter.com/#!/Vodafone_AU/status/179804047518347264

Or are you talking about my general comment as to what I believe Telstra will say?

Oh and here is a link on how to get it to work on Telstra (without having to jailbreak) http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1888694

Chucky

Bump?
pcm66

I'm very interested in this feature too. Please let us know if there are any plans to enable it.

Myth55au

This is yet another reason i am considering returning my New ipad Smiley Sad

I orderd mine because on the keynote thay said 4g australia , and hotspot Smiley Sad and of course the screen.

I have also at least on one occassion, had the ipad get uncomfortably warm/hot after turning the brightness up (was ouside) and just browsing (nothing to taxing).

So in short i will be returning this if the hotspot issue is not resolved ..they are offering a full refund due to the 4g issue .

I do not do this lightly as i also purchased cases, charging docks /speakers and have several other apple products ranging from pc to notebooks .

Cheers

Soldiiier

still waiting....

Chucky

Yep Smiley Sad .... still waiting Smiley Mad

pcm66

Hi, sorry if I missed any updates on this.  How soon till the hotspot feature is enabled officially?

Chucky

pcm66  you are assuming it will be enabled.

Considering it has been 5 weeks since this thread started / the ipad was released and not a peep out of Telstra, I think it is safer to assume Telstra are not going to support it and just don't have the balls to say it in fear that everyone will change to the other large providers that do support it!

HoneyB

Has any of the carriers who said it was going to activate this feature actually done so?

Amazingly, even a Telstra dealer and premium Apple retailer was unaware that this feature was unavailable. They said they have taken the matter up with Telstra. We wait: smileyfrustrated:

Chucky

I am not sure if the other carriers have actually activated it or not yet HoneyB.

However at least they informed their customers straight away it will be supported (as I linked to earlier). Where as Telstra can't make up their minds and are not prepared to tell us if they will or will not support it Smiley Mad

mikejt4

c'mon Telstra - jsut changed back after years with vodafone, and so far ever single detail has been screwed up. At least let us know whether you will be supporting personal hotspot on the new iPad or not!?

It's one of the reasons I upgraded after all. 

Ben_F

@mikejt4 wrote:

c'mon Telstra - jsut changed back after years with vodafone, and so far ever single detail has been screwed up. At least let us know whether you will be supporting personal hotspot on the new iPad or not!?

It's one of the reasons I upgraded after all. 

I'm confused.... You updated based soley on the assumption that a carrier was going to enable something, when that carrier hadn't said anything about enabling that feature.

New Users - Click Here!

JustinB
Level 11: Detective

Sorry about the confusion surrounding the iPad personal hotspot feature.  There's been no intentional cloak and dagger, we were just waiting to get an answer internaly - and unfortunately, that answer is that Personal Wi-Fi hotspot functionality won't be available until the next version of the iPad software is released - which, as we don't make the software, we don't have a date for yet.  Apple software updates generally become public knowledge (and publicly available) quite quickly after Apple announces them, though, so you shouldn't have to wait longer than perhaps another 2-3 months if past updates are anything to go by.  Hope this helps to clarify things!

- Justin

Telstra Social Media Team

Beau
Level 5: Eagle Eye

@JustinB wrote:

and unfortunately, that answer is that Personal Wi-Fi hotspot functionality won't be available until the next version of the iPad software is released - which, as we don't make the software, we don't have a date for yet.  Hope this helps to clarify things!

- Justin

Hi Justin! Just to clarify - Telstra WILL be supporting Personal Hotspot on the iPad, you're just waiting for Apple to push the update out?

JustinB
Level 11: Detective

That's exactly right!  We will be supporting Personal Hotspot on the iPad, but it won't be available until Apple releases the next iPad software update.  

- Justin

Telstra Social Media Team

Zaphod42

Thank you again everyone for their input. It seems we have an answer. i must say I didn't know this question would stir up such emotion.

starbuck

What i don't understand is why we have to wait until Apple releases the next iPad software, what is the reason for this?

The Hotspot feature is already there it is the carrier update that tuns the feature on not the iOS software, this is proven with using the iPhone carrier settings.

Can you please explain?

JessicaKathleen

While its not official, it's not a Jailbreak, either. And more importantly, it works. http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/03/how-to-get-personal-hotspot-working-on-new-aussie-ipad-right-now-w...
Spotty

I have done it!

Firstly I have iphone G3 and new ipad3.

Note that personal hotspot will NOT be shown on the Ipad3 in Settings, General, Networks. But don't worry it is NOT needed! It picks up from the personal hotspot which IS in the Iphone settings only!

On my Iphone I have unlimited data download option for a start.

It is all about the ORDER in which you connect, I've just got it working so have to practice a bit, but if you have a few goes and get the order right, the Ipad will go up on the web via the Iphone. It goes something like this...

Turn off your wi-fi modem, like pull the plug out, so theres no false connections which you think may be misled success.

Make sure the phone is on 3G roaming and you can connect to the web on that (all OK?)

Make sure you pair the phone with the Ipad and they "connect" via bluetooth.

Don't worry about personal hotspot not being on the Ipad.

Go to the PHONE and now select personal hotspot, look at the Ipad up top and see if you can see two small loops joined together near where the wifi icon should be. If these are visible, you may now browse the web via the Iphone as modem.

I should mention I tied to bluetooth pairing to connect to my HTC Desire and the Ipad don't wanna know it!

If not then start the process all over again, remember it is all about the ORDER in which you do it, don't get distracted by the Ipad not showing personal hotspot feature, which it won't, it's all about the phone. I've only just done this, so really I have to switch all down and start over, logging exactly what I did permanently, then I can give you the exact route

but if you drop the Ipad worries and have confidence in what I've said, you should get connected if you remember its about the ORDER.

kons

Hey Spotty, Good on you for working it out, except I think you are describing sharing the iPhone's connection to the iPad, whereas this thread is about going the other way around - for those who dont have unlimited data on their phones, but have a better setup on their iPad plans (or like me, want to share the Telstra 3G to their phones which are on other providers and patchy 3G data performance at best)
Tarzangrip

Hi Justin I still have an open issue with Apple support about this issue. When I was talking with the support team on Saturday I mentioned your response from Telstra. They are unaware of this and state they are still investigating the issue with no resolution time advised. It may be a long wait for the fix. In the meantime though, all of us that have purchased the iPad from Telstra with a large data plan with the anticipation of using the hot spot are paying for a data allowance each month of which we cannot utilize until the hotspot feature is activated. Surely Telstra should be coming to the party and offering a reduced monthly cost until the issue is resolved.
HoneyB

Let me get this straight: Telstra said they were waiting for Apple to release the iPad software update that would enable the personal hotspot feature.

Presumably, this feature is available on iPad Gen 3 in other markets. Is this problem unique to Apple Australia?

Does this also mean Vodafone's and Optus' commitment to make this feature available is also dependent on the same Apple software update.

Any comment, Justin? Anyone?

mic

Seems to be an issue around the world where Telcos are working with Apple to officially push the carrier settings to enable the feature...

starbuck

Apple Just released a software upadate!

Where is the Personal Hotspot feature you told everyone will be available?

or was it just a load of bull?

Ben_F

@starbuck wrote:

Apple Just released a software upadate!

Where is the Personal Hotspot feature you told everyone will be available?

or was it just a load of bull?

5.1.1 was a BUG FIX RELEASE. There was no change made to carrier settings (I checked The Carrier Versions on each release).

B.

New Users - Click Here!

starbuck

So why did they tell everyone it was an apple software update that will enable the feature and not a telstra carrier update that they can do anytime?
Tarzangrip

The 5.1.1 update worked fine for me The personal hotspot is finally available on my iPad.
terra91

hello, can you please explain to me how you got that function to work? the new update has been released and still i havent got it to work.

thank you.

HoneyB

I just noticed the update 5.1.1 is now available on my iPad.

Under the Download & Install button, there's a cryptic note that says I need access to a wifi network. Can't I download the update direct via the 3G network? Aren't the two methods the same apart from possible data charges?

I'm a littele puzzled. Can anyone help?

Beau

@HoneyB wrote:

I just noticed the update 5.1.1 is now available on my iPad.

Under the Download & Install button, there's a cryptic note that says I need access to a wifi network. Can't I download the update direct via the 3G network? Aren't the two methods the same apart from possible data charges?

I'm a littele puzzled. Can anyone help?

Hey HoneyB,

This is an Apple imposed restriction - to reduce any possibility of billshock, unfortunately updates are restricted to over WiFi (even though the update is only ~60mb).

Hopefully this will be relaxed in a future update to allow updating over 3G

Beau

@terra91 wrote:

hello, can you please explain to me how you got that function to work? the new update has been released and still i havent got it to work.

thank you.

Hi terra91 - an additional update was released this morning by Telstra - this enables tethering on the new iPad (this update won't enable tethering on the original iPad or iPad 2).

Simply go to Settings > General > About on your iPad and you will be prompted to install a carrier settings update. You may also get a prompt on your iPad soon if you don't follow the manual check steps above.

Once this is installed, you should get a hotspot option under Settings > General > Network.

Cheers,

Beau

HoneyB

Thanks for clearing up the puzzle Beau.

Soldiiier

Finally it working!! General > network > perusal hotspot Carrier update 12.1 And iOS 5.1.1
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

I know you guys have been waiting for this good news, so for owners of the new iPad on Telstra, the Personal Hot-spot feature is now available.

The carrier settings will be 'pushed out' to new iPads on the Telstra network progressively over the coming days. You'll receive a pop-up notification advising when the update is available for you.

Need to know: There's no charge for activating this feature, however, ongoing usage rates apply. If you enable Personal Hot-spot we recommend you review your data allowances to ensure you do not incur excess usage charges. Instructions on how to monitor your usage is available here. We also offer additional data packs that may come in handy.

Keeping you connected....CrowdSurfer

allinone

So I am a little confused... I have an original iPad have the iOS 5.1.1 and got new carrier settings last week, no personal hotspot? So what did the carrier settings do? Thanks for your answer in advance
Ben_F

Enabled it on the new iPad. The original iPad and iPad 2 didn't get the hotspot function because apple reserved it for the new iPad.

New Users - Click Here!

allinone

@Ben_F wrote:
Enabled it on the new iPad. The original iPad and iPad 2 didn't get the hotspot function because apple reserved it for the new iPad.
Thanks Ben but why did I get new carrier settings and what did they do fo me or the iPad?

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now