Highlighted
BrittaneyB
Level 2: Rookie

Second hand Telstra Xoom

Answered

Hi there, I've been offered a second hand Telstra Xoom tablet. It's 3G and wifi and in good working order. It's at a garage sale up the road and they are holding it for me till later this afternoon for $50.

My question is or questions are,  will it work on any wifi network and can I use the sim card from my mobile phone with it if I want too?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Second hand Telstra Xoom

Wow, $50 !!! That's really cheap for an Xoom, I hoped you've checked it out and made sure it's working OK. They are a great unit, I have one I use all the time. Make sure the charger is OK, they can't be charged up via USB and the plug that goes into the unit is tiny.

The Telstra Xooms aren't locked to the network and will work on any wifi, as long as you know the password for the network. They work well on free wifi setups like at Maccas, so no troubles there.

As far as sim cards go, several points, 1) They take a full size sim card, NOT the micro sim cards like you find in a lot of today's smart phones.

You should be able to use your card (I have a dedicated sim for my Xoom) if as I said it's full size, BUT beaware you can't make phone calls with it, the xoom, and the card should have a decent amount of allowable data to use if you are going to use it a fair bit on the 3G network, 4G won't work with them.

Good luck with it, and make sure you give it a good try out before, even for $50 you buy it.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Wow, $50 !!! That's really cheap for an Xoom, I hoped you've checked it out and made sure it's working OK. They are a great unit, I have one I use all the time. Make sure the charger is OK, they can't be charged up via USB and the plug that goes into the unit is tiny.

The Telstra Xooms aren't locked to the network and will work on any wifi, as long as you know the password for the network. They work well on free wifi setups like at Maccas, so no troubles there.

As far as sim cards go, several points, 1) They take a full size sim card, NOT the micro sim cards like you find in a lot of today's smart phones.

You should be able to use your card (I have a dedicated sim for my Xoom) if as I said it's full size, BUT beaware you can't make phone calls with it, the xoom, and the card should have a decent amount of allowable data to use if you are going to use it a fair bit on the 3G network, 4G won't work with them.

Good luck with it, and make sure you give it a good try out before, even for $50 you buy it.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
BrittaneyB
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks so much for your post.

I bought the unit and it's all working fine. Ended up taking my brother with him now he's offered me $100 for it.

Came with a case too, we've connected it to my modem with no troubles and the sim card from my phone also works with no dramas, but that's just if I need it.

Thanks again for the help.Smiley Happy

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now