Highlighted
Kit_e
Level 1: Cadet

Slow Connection

Answered

Hey,

Got a tablet, insert the SIM and am having a vvvvvveeeeeerrrrrrryyyyyyy ssssslllllooooooowwww connection.  9M sized apps take an hour or more to download.    Put the same SIM into my mobile and it takes minutes.

I've been told this is not normal and to contact the tablet manufacturer.  They suggested I turn the internal Modem ON (oh der freddie) ... and use a "WCDMA" card.  

So is my SIM ... WCDMA?  I have no idea.

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Slow Connection

I have had a look at the manual (DanK, the English version is there. The download page is in chinese though).  It is not compatible with the NextG network. It will only be operating on 2G, hence the "E" displaying on it.  If you want faster downloads you will either need to get a compatible external dongle (one that has HSPA/WCDMA 850MHz) or a prepaid SIM from Optus (as they use the 900MHz band).

From the manual:

Frequency: This tablet support WCDMA SIM card

HSPA/WCDMA: 2100/900MHz

GSM/GPRS/EDGE Quad band:850/900/1800/1900

3G download speed maximum 7.2M bit/s, upload maximum: 5.76M bit/s

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Accepted Solution

The "E" stands for EDGE, a 2G tech.

The manufacturer is correct. It is a 3G capable device, but different Telcos use different frequncies and most devices only support a subset of frequencies (900MHz and 2100MHz being the most common in other parts of the world). You need to check the documentation before you buy to make sure it will work with the phone carrier you choose to use.

4G is even worse as you not only have to look out for the frequency but also the type of LTE technology as there are two types.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7

Wat tablet is it?  Does it connect to the 3G network (ie does the internal modem operate on the correct frequencies).  You may find that you only have GSM capabilities.

Kit_e

It's a Pipo M9 (July 2013 build).  Here's the one:  http://www.pipo.cn/En/index.php?m=Product&a=show1&id=260&type=2

They are 3G enabled and apparently to have a slow connection is not usual (I'm told).  Was told they are WCDMA compatible ... I've emailed them ... we don't seem to have the capability to choose which WCDMA connection we have ... it's either 2G or (apparently) 3G.  Seems there isn't a Network Mode selection at all - which I'm querying now ... being in China ... they can ignore me if they like I guess ... not like I can call them or show up on the doorstep at all (bugger).

It connects, but the connection has an "E" beside it.  Telstra tells me it should have "3G" beside it which makes sense as my phone shows "4G" beside the bars.  As for how the internal moden connects is anyone's guess ...  Is there a way to find out?

I'm at a loss to understand the technical side of things as this was my first Android device (but now have the phone).  The SIM works well in the phone, so it has to be the tablet (process of elimination)  This SIM is a test for the tablet and so far I'm not very impressed, however, off the net, it's a brilliant little tablet.

If I could just fix this issue ... I'd be very happy.

Kit_e

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I tried to find the bands that the device operates on but I was unable to find an english manual for it. Did you get a manual with the device?

I suspect that it is not compatible with our NextG network and this is the reason it is slow. If this is the case, its not a fault with the network or something that can be fixed as the issue is the device is simply not able to speak to our faster networks.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Accepted Solution

I have had a look at the manual (DanK, the English version is there. The download page is in chinese though).  It is not compatible with the NextG network. It will only be operating on 2G, hence the "E" displaying on it.  If you want faster downloads you will either need to get a compatible external dongle (one that has HSPA/WCDMA 850MHz) or a prepaid SIM from Optus (as they use the 900MHz band).

From the manual:

Frequency: This tablet support WCDMA SIM card

HSPA/WCDMA: 2100/900MHz

GSM/GPRS/EDGE Quad band:850/900/1800/1900

3G download speed maximum 7.2M bit/s, upload maximum: 5.76M bit/s

Kit_e

Thanks Jupiter

... it's a learning curve for me.  I've just been attempting to investigate this very topic ... what that "E" might mean and frequencies ... which is still a bit gooble-de-**bleep** to me, but I plan to learn ... quickly.  

I've emailed the manufacturer to explain the frequency on which they claim it will operate ... as why would one sell something 3G if it's not?  It seems "3G" is far too broad to be specific enough for me.

I'll have to investigate this "dongle" of which you speak.   Smiley Surprised   

Thanks!!

Kit_e

Accepted Solution

The "E" stands for EDGE, a 2G tech.

The manufacturer is correct. It is a 3G capable device, but different Telcos use different frequncies and most devices only support a subset of frequencies (900MHz and 2100MHz being the most common in other parts of the world). You need to check the documentation before you buy to make sure it will work with the phone carrier you choose to use.

4G is even worse as you not only have to look out for the frequency but also the type of LTE technology as there are two types.

Kit_e

Where were you when I was thinking of purchasing this tablet!!  LOL!  

Thank You Jupiter (my ruling planet btw) ... your assistance has helped me to learn the error of my ways Smiley Frustrated  and more about this sort of thing (obviously) Smiley Wink

Learning Experience ... I just had one.  Smiley Sad  On the Upside ... I'm about to invest in a "dongle" I believe and will keep your 850mhz in mind when I do!! Smiley Happy

Kit_e

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now