CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
mconstable
Level 2: Rookie

Tablet with 3G voice?

Answered
Is there any tablet available, of any persuasion, that has 3G voice as well as 3G data? Obviously I would use it with a bluetooth headset. Why? Because I am sick to death of carrying around a mobile phone and a tablet and a laptop. If I could get a powerful enough 4 core 7" tablet (something like Googles new Nexus 7) that could also make mobile calls then I could just about use it as my main 24/7 personal computing device 95% of the time. ATM the Galaxy Note is about the closest to what I want but I would totally prefer a Full HD 7" screen.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Tablet with 3G voice?

So you are 100% saying that you can make "normal" mobile voice calls using, say, a Telstra post-paid SIM card as well as use it for 3G data

Yes, that's exactly what I use in my SGT.

... AND at the same time?

I don't recall testing for that explicitly, but I certainly believe it can. I don't have the device with me to test right now, though.

samsung.com does not seem to show this model so I guess it's rather old.

Yes, it was released in (the second half, I think, of) 2010.

What is the screen resolution and OS version?

1024×600 if I remember correctly. Android Gingerbread.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7

Is there any tablet available, of any persuasion, that has 3G voice as well as 3G data?

I have one of those. Samsung GT-P1000T (first-generation, 7") Galaxy Tab.

If I could get a powerful enough 4 core 7" tablet (something like Googles new Nexus 7) that could also make mobile calls

You can forget that for now. The closest workaround is if you have some sort of a ‘softphone’ service running on the tablet that will allow other callers on non-VoIP numbers to reach you.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
mconstable

Thanks Drat. So you are 100% saying that you can make "normal" mobile voice calls using, say, a Telstra post-paid SIM card as well as use it for 3G data... AND at the same time? samsung.com does not seem to show this model so I guess it's rather old. What is the screen resolution and OS version? (if you don't mind me asking)
Accepted Solution

So you are 100% saying that you can make "normal" mobile voice calls using, say, a Telstra post-paid SIM card as well as use it for 3G data

Yes, that's exactly what I use in my SGT.

... AND at the same time?

I don't recall testing for that explicitly, but I certainly believe it can. I don't have the device with me to test right now, though.

samsung.com does not seem to show this model so I guess it's rather old.

Yes, it was released in (the second half, I think, of) 2010.

What is the screen resolution and OS version?

1024×600 if I remember correctly. Android Gingerbread.

——

View solution in original post

mconstable

@Drat, thank you so much for your top quality reply. I'll be on the lookout for one of these, most likely 2nd hand. I will be getting a Nexus 7 in a few weeks so I can play around with various alternate linux OS's (webOS, openWRT+Qt5 etc) so something like the GT-P1000T as a stable un-hacked workhorse sounds like a good idea, if I can find one. I'm so pleased to hear of at least one voice capable tablet.
dunners
Level 9: Captain

The P1000 has similar hardware to the original Samsung Galaxy S (i9000)

Which includes a SINGLE core 1GHz processor.

That means that (today) it's not very powerful at all (I have an old one which i have now replaced.)

Also you can only use it as a phone via a Bluetooth headset or speaker phone (you can't just hold it to your ear.)

That being said, i was very impressed with mine and only just replaced it a few weeks ago. Chances are you can pick one up second hand for very cheap.

However if i was buying one now I’d look at the Galaxy Tab 7.7, it specifies on Samsung’s website that it can make and receive calls and it even says you don't need a Bluetooth headset.

Also it runs honeycomb which is much more tablet friendly and has a good chance that it will receive the Ice Cream Sandwich and/or Jelly Bean update. Comes with an AMOLED screen and dual core processor.

Might be worth a look (I would however confirm wether or not it can make/receive calls in store)

chery
Level 4: Private Eye

Galaxy Note 8 LTE version. I'm just waiting for mine to be delivered. Smiley Happy

chery
Level 4: Private Eye

Had my note 8 lte for nearly 3 weeks - wonderful bit of tech - tablet with telephony - my dream machine :-D

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now