Highlighted
tronixstuff
Level 4: Private Eye

Xoom 4G LTE Upgrade?

Answered

Will Telstra offer any upgrade path for the Xoom to 4G as Verizon has done in the USA? 

- problems are solved by taking action
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisTelstra
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Re: Xoom 4G LTE Upgrade?

Unfortunately the 4G upgrades in the US were for 700MHz spectrum. Because Telstra 4G runs on the 1800MHz we are not able to use this in our Xoom. Motorola makes upgrade decisions on a country-by-country basis and based on this difference, the Xoom sold in Australia will not be upgradeable. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 21: Augmented

it was promoted by Verizon as with a pending upgrade from the onset though, the six day turnaround seems to suggest they are doing something with the hardware to support this, maybe some sort of paid option for you to upgrade your hardware through a service centre but I wouldn't have thought it would be something Telstra would get involved in directly
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I am 100% on this but I am fairly certain that what is commonly called 4G in the US is actually HSPA+ technology (equivalent to our Ultimate 3G speeds) and not LTE, which is what Telstra has released as 4G in Australia.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

tronixstuff

Yes, those sneaky Americans. AT+T are doing that, and Rogers in Canada. 

However Verizon is true LTE on 700 MHz, and their usual network is CDMA EV-DO. 

ChrisTelstra
Accepted Solution

Unfortunately the 4G upgrades in the US were for 700MHz spectrum. Because Telstra 4G runs on the 1800MHz we are not able to use this in our Xoom. Motorola makes upgrade decisions on a country-by-country basis and based on this difference, the Xoom sold in Australia will not be upgradeable. 

tronixstuff

Oh well, such is life. Will tether from a 4G handset when the become available instead.

Thanks for your help.

No_Boundaries

Sorry to disagree, Chris but this is not what was told to us when we purchased Xoom, both at Telstra shops and on line consultants confirmed it was 4G. We seem to have the lower spec model but premium price, which is now some $250.00 cheaper.
genshard
Level 1: Cadet

I too was told my XOOM was 4G. As i was told my new Galaxy Nexus was. Never have seen it though
No_Boundaries

Seems we have been caught out with false promises in entrusting our purchase firstly of Motorola product and secondly through telstra. I have a long memory... dont like being ripped off that much
Level 17: Bureau Chief

@genshard wrote:
I too was told my XOOM was 4G. As i was told my new Galaxy Nexus was. Never have seen it though

As far as I know - the only 4G phone Telstra has launched is the Velocity. The only other 4G device(s) available is/are the data dongle(s). There are no 4G tablets I know of. 

And since these devices do not have 4G radios in them, I don't see how a software upgrade could make them 4G. I have never heard of a XOOM being referred to as a 4G device (except the silliness in the US of referring to HSPA+ as 4G)

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now