CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
SalvationTower
Level 3: Gumshoe

iPad 2 Mobile Number

Answered

I have recently got a Apple iPad 2 on a 24month contract... i wanted to register the mobile number on the data support site (so i can monitor the usage) however to add it to my account i need to do an sms verification...

the Cellular Data Number is listed as "unknown", does anyone know how this can be changed.

apart from not being able to register the ipad on the data usage page (it trys to send you and sms) the messages app doesn't work properly either (and yes i'm aware that sms "allocation" from ipad is not huge, and i'm not planning on using for huge amounts as that's what the iphone is for!)

I know the account number and the mobile number itself (as they are listed on the telstra portal under my account info.

if someone can assist or point me in the right direction that would awesome!..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Beau
Level 5: Eagle Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: iPad 2 Mobile Number

@SalvationTower wrote:

the Cellular Data Number is listed as "unknown", does anyone know how this can be changed.

I know the account number and the mobile number itself (as they are listed on the telstra portal under my account info.

Hi SalvationTower!

Unfortunately, you can't write the number to the SIM card from your iPad itself. For this, you'll need to throw the SIM in a phone that supports writing the number to the SIM card.

I can confirm that the iPhone 4 and 4S are fine - just throw the iPad SIM in, then go to Settings > Phone and tap on 'My Number'. After you have entered this the number will be stored on the SIM and show on the iPad. You can put your iPad sim back in the iPad and put your iPhone SIM back in.

There's no real reason to have this entered... but it's a nice thing to have.

(I believe overseas the numbers are already on the SIM so we don't have to enter it manually)

@SalvationTower wrote:

apart from not being able to register the ipad on the data usage page (it trys to send you and sms) the messages app doesn't work properly either (and yes i'm aware that sms "allocation" from ipad is not huge, and i'm not planning on using for huge amounts as that's what the iphone is for!)

"Message is the new way to send text messages between iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users running iOS 5."

http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/built-in-apps/messages.html

Unfortunately, the Messages app on the iPad only allows you to send messages to an iPhone, iPod touch or another iPad. It won't send 'actual' SMS messages.

To receive the SMS to setup for My Account - you'll need to put the SIM in another phone (as above, such as the iPhone) which will receive the SMS with the confirmation code, and then you can put the SIM back in the iPad.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
billythekid
Level 8: Inspector

G:day salvation tower, go to crowd support site ,and up the top alink to tablets ,tap that up the top you will see a couple of links to usage monitors., install one of them on your home page. They worked for me.

SalvationTower

thanks billythekid, I did see those there (after some frustration), however i would still like to know how to get the mobile number added...

Beau
Level 5: Eagle Eye
Accepted Solution

@SalvationTower wrote:

Hi SalvationTower!

Unfortunately, you can't write the number to the SIM card from your iPad itself. For this, you'll need to throw the SIM in a phone that supports writing the number to the SIM card.

I can confirm that the iPhone 4 and 4S are fine - just throw the iPad SIM in, then go to Settings > Phone and tap on 'My Number'. After you have entered this the number will be stored on the SIM and show on the iPad. You can put your iPad sim back in the iPad and put your iPhone SIM back in.

There's no real reason to have this entered... but it's a nice thing to have.

(I believe overseas the numbers are already on the SIM so we don't have to enter it manually)

@SalvationTower wrote:

"Message is the new way to send text messages between iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users running iOS 5."

http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/built-in-apps/messages.html

Unfortunately, the Messages app on the iPad only allows you to send messages to an iPhone, iPod touch or another iPad. It won't send 'actual' SMS messages.

To receive the SMS to setup for My Account - you'll need to put the SIM in another phone (as above, such as the iPhone) which will receive the SMS with the confirmation code, and then you can put the SIM back in the iPad.

View solution in original post

SalvationTower

Thanks beau, I'll give that a go, sort of figures not being able to send SMS from the iPad, as the os is missing all of the phone features. Still thought it might receive them as I know you can retrieve SMS on the USB/express cards via the software (Sierra wireless watcher) No biggie, not a loss as I mentioned earlier, iPhone for sending messages, iPad for surfing (and playing angry birds hd!!!!)

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit