Highlighted
smileykylie16
Level 2: Rookie

iPad won't connect to IP address 169.254.xxx.xxx

Answered

I currently have a Thomson TG782T.  I have just recieved an iPad for my birthday and I cannot connect to this network.  The name comes up and I can put in the password, but it gets stuck on a loading circle and I can't acess the internet. There is nothing wrong with the router/modem as it works fine on my PC and the laptop.  Reading from this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3798 ; If your ISP is assigning your Internet facing router, Mac, or iOS device an IP address of 169.254.xxx.xxx, contact the ISP support staff and ask for a proper IP address to access the Internet.  Anything I can do to get this working? Smiley Happy Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
smileykylie16
Accepted Solution

Re: iPad won't connect to IP address 169.254.xxx.xxx

I had a long fiddle with it this morning and my boyfriend helping me and I think my brother's had set the other IP addreses up manually so I just changed one of the end numbers in the IP address and finally got it working under Static.  The problem I had was that I had left the Router field blank, so judging from your screenshot, I just copied the same DNS number over and finally got it working Smiley Very Happy   Thank youu for all your help!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman

OK, there's a bunch of things on tht link you gave us.

I assume you have looked at your environment, and either the INTERNAL Lan you have is assigning  169.254 addresses, or your EXTERNAL IP address is in the 169.254 range?  Which seems strange indeed.

If it's the external address of your router, and you dont have a static IP address, then try rurning off the router for a few minutes, then reconnect, and see if it gets a new IP address.

Obviously, if it's internal, then you need to reconfigure the router so that your WiFi doesn't use the 169.254 range.

Let us know how you go

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

smileykylie16

Already turned the router on and off multiple times.  The IP addresses on my PC and laptop are fine, the 169.254 address is only showing on the iPad.

How would I go about reconfiguring it?

Level 22: Superhuman

smileykylie16 wrote:

The IP addresses on my PC and laptop are fine, the 169.254 address is only showing on the iPad.

What that tells you is that the iPad has tried to get an IP address (on your wireless local area network) assigned to it assigned to it by DHCP, but did not get a timely response from a (or any) DHCP server on the network.

Usually, the wireless router (with or without a broadband modem integrated into the hardware unit) will also host and operate a DHCP server for devices connected to it, but the device can also be configured not to do so. Your PC and laptop could still work in the latter scenario, if they are configured by the user (or system administrator) to use static IP addresses on the local area network.

Is this where you see the 169.254.xxx.xxx IP address on the iPad?

Wi-Fi network address on iPad.png

If DHCP (as opposed to BootP or Static) is selected, and you've tried:

• Renew Lease
  • Forget this Network (and connecting to it anew)
  • Rebooting the iPad
  • Rebooting the router

and none of that resolves your issue, then the logical next step is that you need to ascertain whether the router is operating a DHCP server (by checking its configuration settings in your web browser), and whether your PC and laptop are configured with static IP addresses.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
smileykylie16
Accepted Solution

I had a long fiddle with it this morning and my boyfriend helping me and I think my brother's had set the other IP addreses up manually so I just changed one of the end numbers in the IP address and finally got it working under Static.  The problem I had was that I had left the Router field blank, so judging from your screenshot, I just copied the same DNS number over and finally got it working Smiley Very Happy   Thank youu for all your help!

KateL
Level 1: Cadet

I have this problem too with a fitbit aria scales.
how do you check your router to see if it is operating a DHCP server? I have a Thomson TG782T

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now