CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
farmer295
Level 1: Cadet

ipad

Answered

i am looking at getting an ipad & am not sur of the difference between wifi & wifi plus 3g.was told by the reseller that i can use my iphone (which is on $79 monthly plan with 2gb data) to use it after i pair it up.the other option is to use pre-paid wifi on my laptop.just wanted to know if this correct or if there are any other options

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: ipad

Simply put, the Wi-Fi only version of the iPad does not have its own independent ability to connect to the Internet, but must rely on something else in its close vicinity to provide that connectivity. Your iPhone (or someone else's smartphone) acting as a wireless hotspot, free Wi-Fi hotspots provided by some cafés or fast food outlets and public libraries, Wi-Fi in office buildings, or if you have fixed (ADSL or cable or optic fibre) broadband at home, a wireless router connected to your home broadband service are all examples of what the Wi-Fi only version iPad can use to gain Internet connectivity. Internet data usage on the iPad will be charged to the service that is offering the connectivity; if you use your iPhone as a hotspot, then for billing purposes it would be as if you used the data on your iPhone.

The Wi-Fi+3G version of the iPad is able to independently connect to the Internet (if you put a SIM inside it that is connected to an active mobile data service), and does not have to rely on having access to anything else listed above. (Of course, the Wi-Fi+3G version can also use Wi-Fi hotspots to provide connectivity.)

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: ipad

Simply put, the Wi-Fi only version of the iPad does not have its own independent ability to connect to the Internet, but must rely on something else in its close vicinity to provide that connectivity. Your iPhone (or someone else's smartphone) acting as a wireless hotspot, free Wi-Fi hotspots provided by some cafés or fast food outlets and public libraries, Wi-Fi in office buildings, or if you have fixed (ADSL or cable or optic fibre) broadband at home, a wireless router connected to your home broadband service are all examples of what the Wi-Fi only version iPad can use to gain Internet connectivity. Internet data usage on the iPad will be charged to the service that is offering the connectivity; if you use your iPhone as a hotspot, then for billing purposes it would be as if you used the data on your iPhone.

The Wi-Fi+3G version of the iPad is able to independently connect to the Internet (if you put a SIM inside it that is connected to an active mobile data service), and does not have to rely on having access to anything else listed above. (Of course, the Wi-Fi+3G version can also use Wi-Fi hotspots to provide connectivity.)

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now