CrowdSupport®
preston1
Level 1: Cadet

tablets that make phone calls

Hi. I was hoping someone could tell me if there are an tablets in Australia that actually make phone calls like a normal phone? I want to get rid of my phone an carry a tablet not both. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: tablets that make phone calls

A lot of the Android tablets have the capabilities to make calls, most still have the Phone app included, and access should only be limited by the SIM card you are using - HOWEVER - as these tablets are not designed to be used as phones it may result in untested, buggy or even unusable apps, even in the ones which state they support it... an example of this is the Z2 Tablets which do support calling (primarily so you can call while bluetooth linked with your phone, rather then call by itself) but it has had quite a number of reports of the calling being buggy and dropping out unexpectedly. Another example is the Samsung Galaxy Tab3 8", which again had that same feature however when used it reported many of the same sorts of bugs. Depending on the size of tablet you are after or the features you want, a large form phone like the Note 5 or the iPhone 6 Plus (both at around 5.5")

There might be others around who have used particular tablets without issues and can recommend those to you, but those are the two I have tried and have had the same issues as many of the other reports for those devices on the purpose of calling, regardless of Wi-Fi or Cellular.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 20: Director

Skype is your best bet on a tablet for making phone calls. You would also have to use a headset as you would be running in speaker phone mode the whole time.

preston1
Level 1: Cadet

Thanx DrQwerty. Ive actually herd japanese were in high demand for tablets to be used as phones and are producing them too but i think Australia is a bit behind in the times. So i think the note 5 or similar would have to do for now..
thanx.

I know there has been a lot of talk about it internationally in certain countries, and did see a 7in 'phone' in the Galaxy W, but that was only released in South Korea (to the best of my knowledge), there are a couple of others released in that region too but I haven't seen any released here and although you might be able to get one to Australia you would need to check frequencies and also the warranty coverage you would have here. Smiley Happy
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

I did see a girl walking down the road talking into her tablet like it was a phone. I must say it was the weirdest thing. If it was my money I would go with the Note 5.

PS: The girl wasn’t weird Dr.

That wasn't a girl it was me, I was talking Siri... she is my only friend... XD

and yeah, I have seen the W in AUS but it was with an exchange student living with a friends family and she was having issues with 4G, could only get 3G (which I know is an issue of contention for you but still XD)
Helpful Links

The big screen iPhone is probably not a bad choice either however I do recall the Apple fan club telling us for many years that big screen telephones were a complete waste of money. I guess they weren’t talking about their own phones. Smiley Very Happy

I personally don't like the iPhone 6 Plus, but for the same reason I don't like the Note, I don't want a phone that barely fits in my hand... but I have no issue carrying both around because I need to carry that much with me anyway that it makes no real difference lol XD
Helpful Links

Well if you are considering buying a tablet to use as a phone then the iPhone and Galaxy are small in comparison. I think my Galaxy S3, S4 and S5 are great media devices however they are probably one of the worst lot of phones I have owned.  Maybe if the camera manufactures started building phones into their cameras we might finally get a good phone. Smiley LOL

I would totally buy a Cannon phone if it worked as well as my EOS.
Helpful Links

How about a blue tick Minolta 4GX for us country folk Smiley LOL

Sony do both. Neither are done great or horrible though. Just average all around lol.
Helpful Links

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now