CrowdSupport®
johnmacdonald
Level 1: Cadet

Doro phoneeasy 623

The Doro web site indicates that their PhoneEasy 623 willsoon be available from Telstra.  Does anyone know when?  Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Doro phoneeasy 623

Hi John, I haven't heard of an upcoming release for the PhoneEasy 623 but you can keep an eye on our range of prepaid handsets via http://goo.gl/sgHpSM and can register via http://goo.gl/YXEhA to be contacted about the upcoming launch of new mobiles. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Ozdotcom

Re: Doro phoneeasy 623 Telstra

Any update on when this phone will be released. What's a good alternative for an 80+ user

Support Team
Support Team

Re: Doro phoneeasy 623 Telstra

Hi Ozdotcom, 

We don't receive information regarding any possible future options for Pre-Paid, however if possible to purchase through Telstra, it will be displayed on the website. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

coelmay

I contacted Doro to ask about the phone, which still shows on the website as "Coming Soon".

The reply was thus:

Telstra dont want to sell Doro, the leading brand in the category. They prefer to make and sell their own brand as its more profitable for them I expect.  We have plenty of Telstra customers that want the Doro mobile phone but we dont control what Telstra purchase.

Doro PhoneEasy 623 is sold via Optus channels in Australia. This product isnt 100% compatible with the Telstra 850 3G Mhz network. (Its a bit technical but essentially Telstra, Vodafone NZ and a network in Israel are the only networks in the world to use 850 Mhz 3G. This means that there is considerable cost for us to produce a product to work on that frequency with little return, unless the network operator is the customer)

All of Europe use 900MHz 3G… the same as Optus.

If you want a Doro I suggest you look into Optus network coverage in your area. In 98% of cases Optus has great coverage in Australia. You can switch to Optus and keep your mobile phone number. It’s easy to change and any Optus store can help you sort it out in a few minutes. 

We have plenty of customers make the switch to Optus to get access to Doro mobiles.

If you prefer to stay with Telstra and want to buy Doro please feel free to advocate to Telstra that they ought to sell the Doro brand.

-----

When I replied asking why the phone has not been taken off (given Telstra apparently won't stock it), I received the following response:

We remain cautiously optimistic that we can secure a Telstra channel (perhaps with one of their sub-networks) and launch that product (or similar). For now Telstra HQ prefer to sell seniors obviously inferior products which they likely make great margin on. 

At this time we cannot disclose to consumers progress of negotiations with potential channel partners for probably obvious commercial reasons and therefore don’t suggest you wait.

If having Doro the world’s best mobile phone for seniors is important to you, we recommend switching to Optus.

-----

On the Doro Australia & New Zealand Facebook page, there is a post saying much the same thing, followed a day later by a post saying they sell exclusively through Optus.

So I guess that is that.

Screenshots of above linked posts:

doro-no-telstra.png

doro-optus-exclusive.png

Annoyed22

Yes Telstra does clearly appear to take profits over customers on this one. Guess I will be changing out to Optus thanks for the post.

Dingle69

I agree, they don't lok like selling it. They are missing out on a lot of sales in country areas and areas that can only receive Telstra.
HelloNewman

Mum (86) had a 2G Doro for 5 years and used to its simplicity. As we know, 2G is now gone in Australia. I did not know of this problem of Telstra being so unfriendly as to not provide for elderly, non tech savvy, disabled or people wanting a simple phone. My parents have been loyal customers for over 6 decades - me 4 decades.. Since the Doro is what Mum needs (there seem to be no other similar phones) I will have to transfer her to Optus - reducing her coverage. So if alone Mum can't get a signal if in non-Optus covered area when Dad takes a turn (he's one fall or heart beat away) and his **bleep** was because Mum couldn't get phone help in time - then I will lobby to the Coroner with help of a couple of senior legal mates). I am angry Telstra have made this wrong commercial decision. An Optus cable is available in the family home so I will convert Mum and Dad away from Telstra. I am going to sell their shares ( and mine). I have influence as a comms/I.T advisor to more than 10 large clients. I would always recommend Telstra Wholesale for their needs in internet and telephony - despite their high charges. Now I will research to get them same needs from other companies.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@HelloNewman

Thanks for your feedback regarding the 2G closure and the experience you have had thus far with finding a suitable mobile phone for your parents to use.

You should know that Telstra are not the only carrier to phase out this network, with other major carriers in Australia set to do this as well later this year. I mention this as you've indicated that you are willing to move your parents to another provider. While this may solve your troubles in the short term, you'll meet the same difficulty in a few months.

I can certainly appreciate the concerns with being able to contact Emergency Services, and you should know that calls to Triple Zero will still be connected if your host provider has no coverage, provided there is coverage available via another provider.

This will obviously not help at all when the 2G network closes across Australia as the network will no longer exist.

We do offer some alternative handsets that do indeed have larger buttons, such as the EasyCall 4 which my own grandparents have and (so far) I've heard no complaints from them about this handset.

This handset is compatible with our 3G Networks (Next G) and has the added bonus of being a Blue Tick phone for better performance in lower coverage areas.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions about this at all.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now