CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
khloe2012
Level 4: Private Eye

PORTING FROM TELSTRA PRE-PAID TO OPTUS PREPAIDE

I think I mucked up Smiley Frustrated  bought a cheapie phone from Telstra shop.  I then realised I had to unlock phone in order to proceed with sim card for Optus.....it gets worse......the cost $80.00.  Is there any way around this?  Obviously being Telstra customers for 30yrs doesn't count these days.  Phone was for old school husband who barely uses phone and Optus have some attractive prepaid offers, no comparison to Telstra offers Smiley Sad

Thanks in advance

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: PORTING FROM TELSTRA PRE-PAID TO OPTUS PREPAIDE

As this is a public forum, unfortunately no one here would have the ability to assist with this. Locked Prepaid devices are generally below the RRP for the device, and are essentially locked so that if you want to use it with another carrier you pay a penalty. For new devices that is $80 but goes down to $0 for older devices (after 2 years). 

I mean, as it isn’t a service charge I don’t think that you will be able to get them to waive it as a good will gesture for you, however, if you feel that you deserve to not have to pay it then you would need to call 132200 and say “prepaid” and speak to the team. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now