CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
PeterMi
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra 4GX Plus (ZTE Blade A462) Battery Life

I have just purchased a Telstra 4GX Plus mobile phone.  The battery life is unacceptable.  

With NO use at all, the phone must be charged twice per day; if I actually use the phone, three times!

Does anyone with one of these phones have better battery life than this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
54 REPLIES 54
PeterMi

Re: Telstra 4GX Plus (ZTE Blade A462) Battery Life

The phone has been replaced.  Battery life of the new phone is identical.  

In a controlled test with absolutely NO use; the battery will be dead within about 18 or 19 hours.  With very low use, you may get by charging it fully  twice per day.  In normal use thrre times per day! 

This phone should not be available for sale!

sahoud21
Level 1: Cadet

I have also noticed I am recharging my 4g x smart phone all day to be charged by early evening. Have I made a bad choice as I have brought my hubby one as well.
PeterMi

I took mine back to Coles (after 2 weeks) and insisted on a full refund.  They didn't seem keen but did give me a refund.  

At the same time, I sent a number of strong emails to Telstra and they eventually  also agreed on a full refund (although by then I had my money back).

Boosey

I also recently purchased this phone from coles.  Battery is terrible, touch screen non responsive at times.  Apparently this phone includes chinese government spyware that sends data to China at 72hr intervals, this might explain why the phone is non responsive at times and battery drains frequently.  I am planning to follow this, up with TIO once I have certainty on these matters and expect Australian Government to ban this Telco ZTE as is the case in the USA.

I will also pursue a complete refund.

Ignorance is evil. Telstra.

Brenton.

khloe2012
Level 4: Private Eye

Well it is now June 2017 and it appears the battery life of this phone has not improved. 

I wish I had read these posts before buying this phone.

Does Telstra read this posts?? I have had the phone for several months now so I dont think I will have any joy obtaining another phone - not happy

Tim671

Having read crowd support I see that I am not the only dissapointed customer, the Testra team at shopping centre told me to purchase at JB HiFi, said it would need charging once weekly if used sparingly or every couple of days if busy. Charge to 100% in evening, switch off and come morning battery 42%! Misinformation!

khloe2012

Not really expecting any help from Telstra re this pathetic phone (I have left msg also) Smiley Mad

khloe2012

Just wondering if this unacceptable battery would be under warranty...I think 12 months but I guess it's not faulty??just totally useless.  I charge over night and by 9am I am having to recharge again.  I would have thought they would have fixed this issue by now, looking at messages going back a year or so 😡

khloe2012

Just wondering if you found any more out on this pathetic phone.  I bought one 5 months ago wish I read this first

khloe2012

agreed 😡 Don't know whether to go to Target where I purchased in Feb or straight to Telstra
PeterMi

I had two phones with no battery life, both replaced by the vendor Coles (though needed heated discussions).  I then went directly to ZTE by phone (1300 789 475) but mostly by eMail.  They eventually provided another replacement phone.  

My current phone was last fully recharged early on the 6th, yet still has 22% left.

It looks identical, however has normal battery life!! 

Of course some things will still flatten it quickly such as using the phone as a Hotspot.

MrSHovel

My family has 3 of these, the first 2 are great - normal battery life with minimal use, lasts 4-6 days.

As for the 3rd one(only 2 weeks old), the battery can be fully charged, then only last only 26 hours.

This is with:

NO calls or usage.

WIFI OFF

Bluetooth Off

App Updates Off

(only thing left on is mobile data)

According to the battery usage meter - it's the Android system itself that is using the juice.

I'm going to try turning moblie data off and see what that does.

It's a shame as the other 2 work brilliantly and I've another ZTE Blade 5 plus which works excellent.

I'll give it another 2 weeks of mucking about then if no improvement, I'll return it to Telstra (where I bought it from).

P.S. Has anyone tried another battery?  (I might try this seeing as I have a few of the same phones) Might prove if it's the battery or the phone?

khloe2012

I would be very interested to know if changing the battery improved the phones charge time.  Obviously a major battery problem with these phones if some are lasting longer than others.

look forward to,hearing from you 😊

PeterMi

Agree however a little difficult as these phones do not have a removeable battery.

khloe2012

Just gets better and better. 😠 No removable battery....over it

mikebr24
Level 2: Rookie

Apparently this phone includes chinese government spyware that sends data to China at 72hr intervals, this might explain why the phone is non responsive at times and battery drains frequently.  I am planning to follow this, up with TIO once I have certainty on these matters and expect Australian Government to ban this Telco ZTE as is the case in the USA.

To be honest, all of the above is complete rubbish that you have read somewhere and then made up the rest.

1. ZTE is NOT banned in the US.

2. No ZTE phones sold in AU send unwanted data to China.

3. There is no Chinese government spyware on any ZTE phones.

The issue you are referring to is ADUPS software which was used in some ZTE models sold in the US. They were not banned. The ADUPS code is used for Firmware Over the Air and it collected some user data.

The data collected is used send out firmware updates and captures Model name and firmware version. All phones supporting updates over the air require this information to be sent back to the firmware delivery platform to check and allocate device updates. This is not unusual or limited to ZTE.

khloe2012

ok thanks for that info Smiley Happy  however this still doesnt solve the very poor battery life - any clues??

MrSHovel

An update on my latest testing...

I had disabled everything except Mobile data and it still flattened a fully charged battery within 24hours of being turned on with no use. Funny thing was, it said that Android System had used 50% and the WiFi had used 50% but WiFi was never turned on... (probably lies).

I had turned off/disabled all of the Google services I could manage but still no difference, the battery went flat overnight with no use.

Yesterday I finally turned off mobile data, I checked this morning and it's only used 3% battery in 14 hours - so it looks like mobile data is the culprit. I need to do some more investigation to see if I can pin point down what actual Android/System process is using the power (if that's even possible).

As I've said, this is the 3rd one of these my family has and the other 2 behave fine. They were purchased 6-9 months ago and the new dodgey one only a few weeks ago so maybe it's a firmware/version thing or some sort of dodgey app included on the new phone (more things to check).

When they work OK, they are a good cheap basic smart phone.

PeterMi

I am very sure all three phones I had (2 bad, 1 great) were set up the same.  I am fairly sure that included all software/apps and their versions.  I think it is more likely a hardware or manufacturing difference.

I emailed ZTE to see if they would like to contribute, but haven't seen any sign of them.

PeterMi

This is a mobile phone problem that can only be resolved with assistance from Telstra and/or the manufacturer.
It is disgraceful that the input from both is zero.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi @PeterMi,

This sounds like a very frustrating issue. You mentioned your phone has been replaced previously. Have you considered making a request for a refund if the phone is continuously having issues? More information on warranties and Consumer Guarantees can be found here: https://www.telstra.com.au/consumer-advice/faulty-products

-Georgie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

PeterMi

Georgie :

If you had read any of the previous messages, you would have seen that my third ZTE phone works as a mobile phone should; it was the previous 2 phones that were junk.  So NOW I am happy.

An approach that can only suggest a refund, while the phone remains a current, Telstra recommended, product hardly assists with the situation.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi @PeterMi,

I did read the previous messages and can see your suggestion was that it is more likely a hardware or manufacturing difference but you still mentioned issues with the battery draining when using a hotspot. This is why I advised an alternate option such as a refund so that you could purchase a different model of phone instead due to the number of ongoing issues you've had. I do not have any information about the manufacturing of the ZTE phone or battery issues to be able to advise further and would have suggested contacting ZTE, which you have already done to no avail. 

When presented with these types of issues, we will continue to replace customer handsets via our warranty process and I apologise that it has taken you and others a number of replacements before the battery seems to be running appropriately. 

Please reach out if there is anything more we might be able to do to assist you with these concerns. 

-Georgie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MrSHovel

More from my testing follow up...

After 3 days with mobile data turned OFF, 2 30-60 seconds phone calls and 3 SMS's, the battery had only lost 12% charge. 

So one morning at 6AM I turned mobile data back ON (Battery was at 75%)

At 6PM (12 hours later) with NO use what so ever, the battery was at 68% (lost 7% battery in 12 hours).

However the following morning at 6AM (12 hours later) with NO use what so ever, battery was at 32% (lost 36% in 12 hours) 

I checked the battery usage, again it said the Android System had used all the battery.

So something is completely whacky with this phone...

I've got one more test, I'm going to factory nuke it & restart.

If that doesn't work I'm going back to Telstra for a replacement phone.

PeterMi

Everything I've read about HotSpots suggests battery usage is always high regardless of the phone.  So it would not be sensible to change it fro this reason.

Also it was bought at Coles; I wouldn't think Telstra would give a refund, and, from previous experience, battery usage would be unlikely to get me a refund from Telstra anyway.

sando81

Android OS using 17% battery on mine. The next highest user is play services at 3%! Come on Telstra, this is not acceptable. The recent update to M2 firmware didn't improve things and may have worsened it.
sando81

I should add that we have 2 of these phones, myself and my wife, and they both have the same battery usage problem.

MrSHovel

OK I'm fairly sure the problem is an Android Marshmallow issue known as the "Wake Lock problem".

From what I read it's a known Android Issue that can really drain a battery (mine is 30+% overnight with no use).

Here's some references links:

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/06/android-os-bug-causes-battery-life-issues-via-wakelock.html

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Android-6-Experiencing-battery-drains-wakelocks-and-apparent-lack-of...
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/37095446
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/Ts7a2RssKKc;context-place=forum/nexus

Looks like something to do with the OS not recognising when you disconnect from recharging and it thinks you're on external power and therefore runs the OS at 100% power. It appears to be affecting thousands of people on various phones models.

There's a whole slew of supposed fixes but none appear to be permanent and there's some indication that Google will have to fix it. How this alleged future fix will then propagate to our Telstra handsets is unknown.

Tonight I'm going to try some of the supposed temp fixes to see if any of them work for me.

sando81

Thanks for the info MrDHovel. That makes sense from what I've seen of the CPU and Keep awake data used by Android OS on this model. In my experience, Screen is usually the top battery user and the OS is minimal.

Just as an aside, I thought I would try using the Battery Saver mode (on the Battery stats Menu) and it has made a big difference. After 14 hours of use my battery is down to 40%. Android OS is still the top user but not as high as before. I haven't noticed any significant performance hit in that mode either. It may be a temporary solution until the ROM is (hopefully) fixed. The setting is saved between boot ups.

khloe2012

very interested in finding out outcome & thanks for your input :-)
sando81

One of the links above re the Android wakelock issue suggested turning off "Backup my data" setting under Settings/Backup and reset/ as a temporary fix. I have done this and it has made a huge difference. I don't need Battery Saver mode any more and the CPU is in Deep sleep 77% of the time (light use). 

MrSHovel

We'll I'm chucking in the towel and going to go back to Telstra to get another(same model) phone. 

I tried all the tricks I could find - turned off individual processes (where possible) - did a full android recovery, removed all the apps I could & disabled others - no luck. I could not get the phone to actually go into deep sleep when not in use. Checking battery stats always showed the Android OS being fully awake.

To go any further would require unlocking/rooting the phone & I can't be bothered as I've spent far too much time already trying to fix something which should just work.

I compared this phone to my daughters phone (same phone, exactly the same firmware/base settings/apps) - in 10 hours of no use overnight, her phone Android OS showed a Keep Awake Time of a under 4 minutes, the bad phone showed a Keep Awake time of 9+ HOURS! - so the bad phone never enters a full sleep mode. Her phone used 2% battery, the bad phone 34% battery.

Telstra/ZTE really need to address this issue.

I'll follow up with the results of how things go when I get my new phone... 

MrSHovel

Why am I not surprised...

UPDATE:

I took my phone back (on a Monday) only to be told I would need to make an appointment to see the Technician because: "He handles all returns with technical problems." So I made my appointment (4 hours later) and returned to see him. (Lucky I work not far from the TShop).

So the tech new nothing about the Wake Lock Issue (fair enough I didn't until I started researching) and he was interested in acknowledging the bug (especially after I showed him this thread & the links) and admitted there was probably an issue with the phone.

However as my phone was 1 day out of the default replacement warranty (4 weeks), it needed to be sent back to whomever for testing to deem if there was a real problem or I had damaged it and if it would be fixed or replaced or not. (The phone is in pristine new condition and never even had the back off of it.) This would take 3-5 working days.

Needless to say its already been 2 weeks (10 working days) & I've heard nothing. 

Online issue tracking say the phone is back at the TShop (not date stamped so who knows if this is real or not).

khloe2012

That is outrageous 😡  When I started to check if other people had issues and saw that comments dated back years ago, I thought this ain't never going to get solved.  I mean for heavens sake, don't Telstra get it?????? Take this piece of **bleep**e phone off the market, it's a complete have.

i hope you don't have to wait too much longer for the outcome!!  I have been with Telstra for ever and have complained about this phone, all to deaf ears I am afraid. What even made me think they would immediately upgrade my phone to a completely different brand hahaha dreams are free!! 

Good luck 😊

pedro2525

@PeterMi wrote:

I have just purchased a Telstra 4GX Plus mobile phone.  The battery life is unacceptable.  

With NO use at all, the phone must be charged twice per day; if I actually use the phone, three times!

Does anyone with one of these phones have better battery life than this?

Pedro2525 wrote;    Purchased 4GX Plus mobil phone 8 weeks ago.Battery life was exellent for apox. 2weeks.Then purchased leather case for protection.Noticed in coming weeks my charge was lasting 12 hours if that. After reading on line others where having the same problem. looking at the case it was in they have a small magnetic flap to hold shut. With nothing to loose i removed the phone from the case [ which is a pain they have sticky patch to hold it in ] .only because i thought the magnet might be the problem [ guessing it was a magnet ] Next morning phone still fully charged.                                                                                          Maybe it will work for others .Take it out of its protective case.

MrSHovel

Deja Vu...

So I finally received my "Replacement" phone (exactly the same model), no results of what was found wrong with the old one or any acknowledgement of the issue.

Took it home, fully charged it for 6 hours - left it 8 hours overnight - zero use what so ever, (no incomming calls, sms) - phone lost 30% charge in 8 hours...

So the new phone is marginally worse than the old phone.

Just to Recap:

Mobile Data turned OFF

WiFI turned OFF

Google Syncing turned OFF

0% usage

0% screen being turned on

No additional apps installed (Telstra 24x7 App  disabled)

Battery Stats show nearly all usage was by Android OS whose Keep Awake time was 8+ hours

So again the phone doesn't seem to be entering sleep mode.

Houston, we still have a problem.

I'm unsure of what my next step is going to be, I'm beginning to get a bit pi$$ed.

(P.S. Just read the previous post about the magnet flap - my phone is used by my wife and YES she does use one of those cases with the little magnetic flap and I have been leaving it in the case for my tests. I'll do one last bunch of experiments with out the case/magnet )

MrSHovel

Took it out of its case (so no more magnets) - turned it off, then back on...

Did a reset android cache, then another restart...

Fully charged it (gave it an extra hour charging for good measure.) Battery 100%

12 Hours later (with no use again) - 50% battery remaining.

So this NEW replacement phone is worse than the old one.

Did some digging into the battery stats...

FM Radio app was listed as using 13% battery - what!!! (Never used the FM radio).

Go to thinking what if somehow the FM radio thinks it is on - could this drain the battery?

Plugged in headphones - tuned into a station - turned the FM Radio OFF, disconnected head phones.

Will wait a few hours and see what the battery stats say.

It's my day off today, do I want to waste it by going through the hassle of yet another phone return at the Telstra Shop...

MrSHovel

Smiley Happy Finally success - of a kind (It's early days).

I couldn't take the phone back yesterday as my wife needed it,  so I dug deep into possible solutions/work-arounds.

I went to the Play store and installed the free version  of  "Greenify" - went through the whole suggested setup/settings process and finally enabled the experimental "Agressive Doze" setting.

I don't know if it was me turnning the FM Radio Off(see previous post) or this Greenify app, but finally the phone is behaving as normal(?).

It's been over 28 hours, mobile data is turned on and the phone has sent/received a few SMS messages and has 2 phone calls and it's used less than 10% battery, this is also inside the case with the magnetic clasp mechanism. Before this it would be nearly flat (battery < 10%) by now.

Looking at the battery stats shows the Android OS finally entering sleep mode which it wasn't doing before.

So if you have one of these phones, this app maybe worth a shot.

I'll report back in a week to update my findings.

MrSHovel

Smiley Frustrated   No good, just delayed the inevitable.

Down to 27% in a few days with no negligable use.

A462_Pwr_Usage_Screenshot_20170820-152446.png A462_Pwr_Awake_Screenshot_20170820-152454.png

As you can see, the Android OS is still using most of the battery and it not going to sleep properly.

I've scanned all other apps and checked their battery usage - nothing more thatn a few apps at 1%, it's all the OS.

So the Greenify app did help but it is not the magic bullet I hoped it was.

So I'll be going back to Telstra AGAIN!

StevenP11

Hi MrSHovel, at the moment I am testing an app called doze ( On Play Store). seems to be doing the trick but only time will tell. It is not the phone as there are to many other phones with this same problem running Marshmallow.

MrSHovel

Smiley Very Happy I have a behaving phone.

As my wife needed her phone for a few days I couldn't take it back straight away so I let it go completely flat (refused to even show the light when trying to tun on) - took about a day after it auto shut down due to low battery. 

I recharged it for a few hours and that's it...

It's been 6 days since the last charge and it's still at 62% battery, says at the current rate it will go for another 8 days.

A couple of calls & SMS's but no other use in those 6 days.

So now I know the hardware is OK and capable of working properly, why did it all of a sudden start behaving properly?

As far as I can tell, it's had no updates and the only changes was I let it go completely flat. It's been charged & stored in its little case with the magnetic clasp the whole time so maybe we can rule that out?

My screenshot...

Success

So here's the phones current settings:

Wifi OFF

Cell Data ON

BlueTooth OFF

Location OFF

AutoRotate ON

Account Auto Sync ON

Back Up My Data OFF

Added Apps: (Only 3)

Greenify

Event Cinemas

Missed Call Reminder

Disabled Apps:

FM Radio 
Telstra 
TouchPal Keyboard

So now that I know the phone is capable of working properly I'll start enabling those disabled apps. What's the odds on it being the Telstra App that's the culprit.

PeterMi

Very interesting. 

I also have a working phone (after returning 2 failed phones).  On the current, working phone, Telstra and Touchpal Keyboard are both disabled!

If your testing suggests it is one of those apps, I will attempt to confirm on my phone.

MrSHovel

Smiley Mad It's back...

So finally after nearly 10 days my wife recharged the phone last night and the Wakelock issue returned.

It lost 25% charge in 8 hours last night.

So the phone was fine for 10 days, got plugged into the charger and unplugged an hour later (100% battery).

This morning it was down to 75% - with no use at all.

This has got to indicate that the phone isn't detecting the unplugging of external power and staying in full power mode.

Aarrrrgh....

I need to try and figure out what process I did to fix it last time...

At least I've ruled out any App causing the problem.

khloe2012

And Telstra are still selling this phone!! I have to seriously look at getting another phone soon. Going away on a extended holiday away from power points for 10hrs at a time could be a challenge!!!
MrSHovel

This is probably going to be my final update...

I've got it consistently working (4 times now over the last 2+ weeks) - BUT after every recharge I MUST turn it OFF then back ON.

Phone turned on - recharge - when full, unplug, switch OFF, switch ON - battery lasts for ages...

All other settings are as I've described in previous posts.

I can live with this...

StevenP11

After owning this phone for 3 months and the heart ache it has caused with wakelock issue. this seemed to be the only answer.

certainly feel better for doing this.IMAG0005.jpg

khloe2012

Smiley Very HappySmiley SadSmiley FrustratedSmiley LOL

I hear you

khloe2012

I tried what you suggested and all went well on a few chargers, and now I am back to what it used to be, charge doesn't last very long at all.
thanks for listening!
debbie77

i to was given one of these phones for christmas pressie last one and this phone was dogey from day dot but thinking it was me cause im not phone savy but battery does hold its charge the touch screenonly work when it wanted .i to have been had and want full refund for my daughter that purchased it as a great gift which was usless.@telstra plz reply .not happy ,dont like wating money ,you get aenought out of my for my internet and home line alone sting me again.response would be good.but i wont hold my breathe.may head into your telstra shop in dev but they are useless as well they just wanna charge for every service

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now