CrowdSupport®
DAV001
Level 3: Gumshoe

Unlocking Telstra mobile phones

I recently took my Telstra ZTE phone into a Telstra Store to have it unlocked.  A staff member did it for me and I was asked to pay $25 so she could obtain a receipt number.  I used my debit card for this.  No other payment option was mentioned.

A couple of weeks later I used the online service to have my wife's Telstra ZTE unlocked.  This time, however, the consultant offered me the option of taking the $25 from my wife's phone credit, saying there was enough there to do it, and of course I accepted that.

Is there any way the $25 I paid on my card can be reimbursed (I have a Telstra account)?  I had plenty of credit on my phone and would obviously have used that, but I wasn't told I could.

Also, my phone did in fact need the unlocking code before I could use another carrier's sim card, but despite being assured that my wife's phone would need unlocking, her phone accepted the new sim card without asking for the unlocking code.  The fee, then, even though "only" credit, was unnecessary.

Thank you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Unlocking Telstra mobile phones

Hi DAV001,

You could try contacting Pre-paid either via Live Chat
https://www.telstra.com.au/chatnow/landing?pageId=https%3a%2f%2flivechat.telstra.com%2f
Or ring 132200, they might be able to fix this all up for you.
I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
DAV001

Thanks Smiley3. I just tried the Live Chat, but "Codi the Virtual Assistant" simply couldn't cope! I shall give 13 2200 a call. Cheers.

You're welcome Smiley Happy

I always ring Pre-paid instead of using Live Chat. Hopefully you'll get someone who'll sort it out for you. Good luck. 

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
DAV001

In the end I decided to use the complaints service because it enabled me to enter account details etc. and type in a detailed statement of what has happened.  I much prefer this to trying to explain things over the phone.  My 70 years are showing!

Thanks again for your interest, Smiley3.

Cheers

You're welcome Smiley Happy

At least Telstra provides a few options to contact them.

I hope you get a satisfactory result Smiley Happy

DAV001

Within three working days of contacting the complaints department I received a phone call from a Telstra manager. He said it was unacceptable that I was not told of the phone credit option for paying for unlocking my phone and the $25 fee has been refunded via my Telstra home account. The manager was extremely polite, despite the fact that I hung up on him the first time he called because I was sure it was just another of the many scam calls I receive from "Telstra"! Fortunately he called straight back, immediately mentioning why he was calling. He was aware I had ticked the email reply option but said he called anyway because the matter could be more quickly and efficiently dealt with. We had a long discussion about why I was leaving Telstra pre-paid and he agreed that there needs to be a cheaper pre-paid option for just a basic phone service. He gave me a direct contact number should I wish to speak to him again.

I'm glad I pursued this matter because it has left me feeling positive about Telstra.

Thanks for the update.
I'm glad you got a Case Manager that was able to refund your money and has left you feeling positive about Telstra.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now