Highlighted
AvaQ
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Broadband Protect blocking my website

Answered

I am an administrator for a church organisation and last week Telstra Broadband Protect started blocking access to our church website (despite no changes). The web address is www.sapphirecoastanglicanparish.org.au. I’ve investigated as much as my limited IT skills will allow and it appears our website was issued a new IP address on 20 June, which is about the time the problem started. It appears the IP address was previously associated with a phishing site. See www.maltiverse.com/hostname/sapphirecoastanglicanparish.org.au and scroll down - if you click on the listed IP address it shows it was previously used by a site called acesolution.com.au, which appeared to be a phishing site. We are a religious organisation and our website is fairly basic (service times and Church notices). There are a couple of YouTube clips but these have been on the site for months without a problem. We use an outside contractor for technical support (ie. contacting the web hosting site (TTP/NetRegistry) but he is not available for the next couple of weeks (ie. to contact our web host and see about changing the IP, if that I should the problem). We can access the site using Telstra mobile data and other internet providers - it just seems to be Telstra Broadband Protect that has flagged it. Can you please have the site reviewed and removed from your blacklist? Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Broadband Protect blocking my website

You'd need to look at getting it delisted from the other WBRS's as well

https://www.virustotal.com/#/url/ae2d061b4440b81a8a8208d84fa065cacf38a365a081b006697a2bd099a83d2f/de...
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Accepted Solution

You'd need to look at getting it delisted from the other WBRS's as well

https://www.virustotal.com/#/url/ae2d061b4440b81a8a8208d84fa065cacf38a365a081b006697a2bd099a83d2f/de...
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
AvaQ

Thank you. And yes, we will go back to our web hosting site (once our consultant is available again) to try and get it resolved across the board. But I’m hoping if I can get the Telstra Broadband Protect problem solved, that will allow the majority of people to access the site. We can access it using mobile data across multiple platforms and browsers (exception is Google Chrome on Android) and using other internet providers - but given Telstra is the major service provider in my rural area, it’s the Telstra Broadband Protect that I can maybe get resolved in the meantime. Thank you again for taking time to reply and provide that info - I will pass it on to our tech consultant.
AvaQ

Level 25: The Singularity

The Telstra Broadband Protect relies on the external agencies to provide the reports on sites, and I don't think that they can actually add an exception into the list.

It's basically a case of if you appear on one or more of the lists that Telstra uses, then you need to get your site removed from those lists.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
AvaQ

I’ve contacted all the agencies on the list provided by Yastieandrie and asked for a review (they have systems to report ‘false positives’) but again, since I don’t know which one Telstra uses, I’m not sure how effective it will be. If Telstra can ask their particular security service for review, it may speed up the process (I am ever hopeful!). We have such a small, basic website, and it’s kind of bad from an ‘image’ point of view that visitors to a church website are getting a ‘Malicious Content’ message (especially as many of our church-goers are older people, who see that message and freak out their computer has been compromised!). I’m working away to try and get in touch with our tech consultant so I can contact the web hosting site directly - just trying everything I can to get it fixed. But the Telstra access is definitely the biggest issue. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply (I’ve learnt more about internet security in the last couple of weeks than I have in years!). Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
Level 21: Augmented

It is certainly not only Telstar that blocks you - our corporate firewall (Palo Alto) is blocking access to you from my work as well...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Our corporate firewall (McAfee) also blocks your site, so there are some serious repairs that need to be made.
It's most likely an outdated template being used on your site. Replacing it with one that is up to date (and deleting all the files and references to the old one) will fix the problem fairly quickly.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
AvaQ

I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to this thread - you provided much more information than Telstra and I have now been able to get the problem largely resolved (still a few issues outstanding).

Based on the VirusTotal.com information I was able to contact the 8 companies who had flagged our site as malicious/suspicious/phishing. Four companies removed the flag upon my request for review and advised the site had been flagged in error. One company identified two urls associated with the site as being the cause of the problem (it appears they were somehow associated with the new IP address we were assigned on 20 June). I was able to remove those urls and have been advised by a further two companies that our site has now been cleared, which will be reflected in the near future when various caches are cleared. I’m still following up with the others, in conjunction with our web hosting service. 

In dealing with Telstra over the phone I had no success (and was told repeatedly that Telstra can’t block access to a particular site and the problem was related to my specific home wifi/router setting) until I elevated it to the complaints department late last week. Within 48 hours the Telstra Broadband Protect block had been removed and the website was accessible through Telstra (I’m still waiting on a final call from them today or tomorrow to hear what action was taken).

As I said, there are still a few outstanding issues, but the problem of access via Telstra has now been resolved. As someone who has no real tech skills, the information provided by those who responded to this thread has allowed me to make some progress and start working towards a solution (I feel like I’ve been ‘down the rabbit hole’ when it comes to the world of internet security!) so I wanted you all to know how much I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post. Thank you all so much!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now