Jana2
Level 1: Cadet

My office is separate to the houseTelstra Wi-Fi Extender MAX vs Netgear XAVB5401 Powerline Extender

We recently had NBN put in. My office is on the other side of the house to my husbands and he has The Telstra Gateway in his office. My internet is very slow and sometimes none at all. My office is separate to the house. I have been told about wifi extenders but confused which one to chose. People in Telstra shop and on phone not very helpful. I've read the information on Telstra website but is not very clear about the differences between the two. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: My office is separate to the houseTelstra Wi-Fi Extender MAX vs Netgear XAVB5401 Powerline Ex...

Hi Jana2

The big difference between the two is that one extents the range of your NBN Modems WiFi signal (Telstra Wi-Fi Extender MAX) and the other (Netgear XAVB5401 Powerline Extender) allows you to use the electrical wiring in your house to access the internet, in places that are too far away from your modem to use WiFi or without the need to run/install a long Ethernet cable.

Below is a graphical representation of how a Wi-Fi Extender works. It picks up the original WiFi signal and boosts it, thus extending it's range.

Below is a graphical representation of how a Powerline Extender works.  The internet signal is passed through the power lines in your house. You simply plug one adaptor into a power socket near your modem and connect it to the modem using an Ethernet cable (usually supplied with the adaptor).  You then plug the second adaptor into a power socket in a far-away room. You can then attach this to other devices using another Ethernet cable.  If your home uses multiple -phases electrical wiring, these adaptors will need to be connected to the same phase.

1. Powerline Extender adaptor plugged into electrical power socket.

2. The main socket, where your internet comes into your home. and modem.

3. WiFi router.

4. Entertainment device, (e.g. games console, Telstra TV, smart TV etc)

5. Entertainment device, (e.g. games console, Telstra TV, smart TV etc)
6. Powerline Extender adaptor plugged into electrical power socket.

Hope this helps.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now