Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Level 2: Rookie
0 Kudos

2G shutdown 2016 upgrading phone

In a recent letter from Telstra they say If you bring your own 3G or 4G phone to Telstra to replace an old 2G "we will do our best" to upgrade to 3G or 4G but may need "to refer you to the manufacturer of your current device". Does anyone know what this means? My current 2G phone is unlocked as would be any new 3G or 4G that I bring to Telstra. I would think a suitable micro or mini SIM card would be all that is needed. Testra live chat could only suggest I attend a Telstra store.

Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: 2G shutdown 2016 upgrading phone

I think that line might just be in there just incase you purchase a phone which is not compatible with the Telstra network... or in an area that is still currently only 2G coverage... sounds to me like a line for the legal department's satisfaction...

If you purchase an outright device that is compatible with the Telstra network, a Telstra store or LiveChat would be able to provide you a SIM Replacement to replace your 2G SIM card with a 4G enabled one, and you should be good to go.
----------
Helpful Links
Having Net Issues - Try the online troubleshooting tool | Outage in your area? - Check the Service Status page
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support   | View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

----------
Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can. Peace out

It could also refer to copying across any information that is stored on your current phone (Contacts, Calendar, etc), which may or may not be possible depending on the model.

0 Kudos

Thank you Dr Querty90 very helpful

0 Kudos

Thank you Jupiter, hadn't thought of that although I would get all of my contacts out manually in any case before giving up the 2G phone