CrowdSupport®
OldBikerPete
Level 2: Rookie

Accessing SMTP outgoing eMail using Outlook Express

Answered

I have a Bigpond cable account with 6 additional eMail addresses attached. I have configured all of these EXACTLY as per the instructions for accessing using Outlook express.

Three of these I set up some time ago. They use the mail.bigpond.com servers and Outlook Expres can both send and receive eMails using these addresses.

Two recently set up addresses were forced to use the pop3.live.com and smtp.live.com servers. Outlook Express can receive eMails via these addresses but cannot send eMails. I get the following message when I try.

"The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The

senders e-mail address was 'aaaaaadddd@bigpond.com'. Subject 'Test', Account

'aaaaaadddd@bigpond', server 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response:'555 5.7.3

Requested action aborted; user not authenticated', Port 25, Secure(SSL):Yes, Server Error

550, error Number: 0x800CCC78"

Of course, I have obliterated the e-mail address in question here.

How can I fix this?

Peter.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Accessing SMTP outgoing eMail using Outlook Express

Hey OldBikerPete,

The TLS is an option in only some email clients, of which Outlook Express isn't one.

Make sure:

- SSL selected on both the incoming and outgoing, using Port 587

- the box on the Server tab which says "outgoing mail server requires authentication" is ticked, click on the Settings button and select "use same settings as my incoming server"

Alternatively you might like to set up using IMAP. I would recommend doing a back up of any emails and contacts on your computer before configuring.

You can find all of the settings here: https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/email-settings-summary

I appreciate that you are frustrated and would like assistance, however Caaf is here in his own time and was genuinely trying to assist you. We ask members to be respectful of each other.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 23: Superhero

Check your settings Smiley Wink
Outlook.com

smtp.live.com StartTLS 587
pop3.live.com SSL 995

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted
OldBikerPete

Thanks!!!!!!

I am using smtp.live.com as I said in the original message. I have tried port 25 and port 587 - no difference.

Outlook Express does not have StartTLS, only SSL, which is activated and which the destructions say is OK.

As I said, I am RECEIVING mail OK, so pop3.live.com on port 995 is working OK

I'm looking for a non-trivial response.

Peter

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey OldBikerPete,

The TLS is an option in only some email clients, of which Outlook Express isn't one.

Make sure:

- SSL selected on both the incoming and outgoing, using Port 587

- the box on the Server tab which says "outgoing mail server requires authentication" is ticked, click on the Settings button and select "use same settings as my incoming server"

Alternatively you might like to set up using IMAP. I would recommend doing a back up of any emails and contacts on your computer before configuring.

You can find all of the settings here: https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/email-settings-summary

I appreciate that you are frustrated and would like assistance, however Caaf is here in his own time and was genuinely trying to assist you. We ask members to be respectful of each other.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

OldBikerPete

Sheely_Telstra said "

"

Yes, an aim highly to be desired.  It might start by assuming that the person asking the question is not a lazy idiot.

Peter.

OldBikerPete

Thank you Shelly_Telstra. The extra settings you suggested turned the trick.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now