Highlighted
scotty_308
Level 2: Rookie

Account Temporarily Suspended - suspicious emails

A while back I started receiving a lot of returned email errors for emails U had not sent. They subsided so I took no further action. Now I have received some again along with my account being temporarily suspended. My question is this -  has bigpond been hacked as I see I am not the only one with these issues, I have read the posts saying to scan your machines for malware / spyware that a key logger may have been used to capture my password, well this has been done with no issues found, I have just changed my password so will see how this goes when  can finally get my account re-activated.

I am a small business owner so having email down is a big problem.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Account Temporarily Suspended - suspicious emails

Hi scotty_308,

What you describe can indicate that your mailbox has been compromised and that you may have virus activity on one or more of your devices. 

We ask customers to update their security software and run a scan on each device that has access to your mailbox. From there you will need to contact BigPond Tech Support for a password reset.

Make sure that when you personalise the password, that it is unlike any password previously used. I would also suggest logging into webmail to make sure that there are no unexpected 'reply to' or email forwarding rules set.

You can find more information about suspended accounts here: https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/manage/restore-a-suspended-mailbox

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

scotty_308

Hi Shelly thanks for getting back to me. I have done the security software and scans, I have also changed passwords. I spent ages on here with a live chat and up to today all was good. The account was re-activated and I was able to send and receive emails.

Today I try to access emails on my mobile device and nothing, I get back to my home office and try the laptop and desktop nothing again. So looks like the fix that was done yesterday has gone wrong??

Pretty disappointed as I thought it was all fixed, funny that I was told I would receive an email to complete a survey about my service. Probably lucky I don't have email access at this time.

Currently in the queue again for the second day running.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If we continue to detect suspicious emails from your mailbox, the account could be suspended again. I understand that having this re-occur after spending so much time with us yesterday is frustrating.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

scotty_308

Happened again. 4th time in a week, was told it was due to a server problem and that it had been fixed. Very unhappy that it has happened again. I no longer receive any returned email delivery errors. I have scanned all devices, updated spyware / malware software, changed password multiple times. Trying to run a small business and this is so frustrating.
scotty_308

Now been unable to use email for a week, not including the 4 times the previous week. Keep getting the run around being told that the account was suspended due to suspicious emails, only to then be told that its a bigpond issue and it should be resolved within 24 hours, then told another 24-48 hours, now still not working, have missed many requests for work and quotes. Not happy and wonder why this is still a problem?

Sili

I have the same issue still waiting over a month to get it re activated and every time I try live chat they say they can't help
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi scotty_308,

It sounds like you have been experiencing a combination of issues with the account being compromised and the recent outages which I am sure hasn't helped to make resolving the issue with the account any easier. 

Currently, some customers may be unable to log into their BigPond mail account. We’ll update you as soon as the problem is fixed.

- Shelly

slowshuffler
Level 4: Private Eye

I'm having exactly the same problem!! Is there any solution?  Account suspended, account re-instated after hours and hours and hours on live chat and the phone (3 days of lost emails), now account suspended again 2 days later!!! How do I get this fixed once and for all????????

slowshuffler

I'm having exactly the same problem!! Is there any solution?  Account suspended, account re-instated after hours and hours and hours on live chat and the phone (3 days of lost emails), now account suspended again 2 days later!!! How do I get this fixed once and for all??

Ken60
Level 1: Cadet

I would be interested in anyone has been able to get this type of issue fixed once and for all. It appears the only way I will get anything finally fixed is by purchasing Testra Platinum. The hard sell for this but no answers to the problem. I have had security siftware technician (not Telstra) go over my whole computer and they say Telstra should fix it. Sure they reset, but are very quick to point out that it might happen again, and guess what it does. I am not interested in paying an amount for Telstra Platinuum when the service provider should be ansuring there are no issues or at least providing a fix for the issue. So frustrating. I don't want to change Service Provider but I am nearly at that point.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Ken60 - As your account has been identified as being compromised, contact Telstra on 132200 anytime to restore your service. Once we've reactivated your account, you'll need to set a new password through MyAccount and update your email program’s password.  

You can find out more about suspended mailboxes here: https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/manage/restore-a-suspended-mailbox

- Shelly

slowshuffler

I'm with you Ken60.  I was told by the Telstra Platinum tecnician (that Telstra "waived the fee for this one time") that the problem defiinitely was with Telstra and not my computer as it is a MAC.  Yet Telstra won't admit it's their fault.  They say it's for my own good as my email was compromised, but it was compromised BECAUSE of Telstra!!  3 times it has happened to me now and I wait with dread for the next time.  Telstra take a long time to tell you they've suspended your account via text message as well which is very frustrating - they really should send you the text as soon as the email account has been suspended as you never get any of those emails people sent you.

The stock standard "ring ....." is just as frustrating as the stock standard response you get from the call centre staff when trying to get an answer on WHY this is happening.

Damo662

Bigpond Webmail suspended due to suspicious activity.... I have spent hour on the phone getting my account unlocked then its compromised again... once whilst my computer wasnt even turned on..... Offered a Platinum service at an additional 50c a day.... really??? Virus scan completed, nil viruses found, Malware check done.... Nil malware detected... If I format my pc and my email account gets suspended again... Im going postal! Anyone that can assist (with the issue, not going postal) would be greatly appreciated! Ps, Im not really gonna go postal, I love you Telstra please stop suspending me.... 

KFro

I've been in the same boat for the last week. Have run multiple malware scans without problem, reset email account four times, changed password upwards of ten times, reset modem, reset IP address, and switched off suspect device and used protected tablet instead. Account is still compromised and hard sell for Platinum services is galling.

The problem is with Telstra. I'm going over to gmail instead. 

Arty1

We are all the victims of "backscatter" (http://www.seas.upenn.edu/cets/answers/undeliverable.html) where a spammer inserts our email address as the return address for their spam so that any emails returned due to incorrect addresses or full mailboxes don't go to the spammer, but to some poor, unsuspecting, innocent person, whose account is then suspended by Telstra because it's been "COMPROMISED."  Worse they don't even advise you when they do it, so if you don't happen to be a regular user you may not even know that you've been suspended for days after the event. I did once get an SMS that arrived 12 hours after I had had my account unsuspended, but this may have just been their other unreliable SMS delivery service. Telstra then take sometimes days to unsuspend your account or sometimes only a few minutes, after you've spent 30 wasted minutes on the phone that you will never get back, but in the meantime they try to sell you a Platinum Service to fix a problem they've created by suspending your account in the first place, when they could easily check to see if you have actually been sending the spam.

It's easy enough for Telstra to blame their fabulously technical robots for suspending the "compromised" accounts, but surely if they really cared about their customers they could have the "offending" accounts checked to see if they've been sending out millions of spam emails, before suspending the accounts of their "valuable" (ha what a joke) customers. Doesn't seem that hard to me to do a bit of a background check as the vast majority of accounts that get suspended will have very low levels of activity that couldn't possibly be guilty of spamming, but it seems it's easier to suspend you then try and sell you a Platinum service that CAN'T fix the problem anyway, as it has nothing to do with your computer, your email account traffic, viruses or trojans - so in summary Telstra have spent the money on installing a system that can assess independently whether to suspend your "compromised" account, but didn't bother to go one step further to assess whether your account really looks like it has been compromised, as this way they get to flog you a $15 a month service that can't actually fix the initial problem anyway. Shame on you Telstra for the number of poor innocent victims you've scammed into buying this service due to backscatter they can't fix.       

Instead of suspending accounts Telstra should start a move to get ISPs everywhere to clamp down on Spammers by checking whether their customers are legitimate advertisers, selling legitimate goods and using legitimate return email addresses, but hey this may not be good for business either.  

Winsgirl

I have had this happen four times now.  I'm giving up!  I was on the phone to Telstra yesterday and got the email going again and this morning I receive a text stating my email has been compromised!  Less than 24 hours.

I've given Telstra enough hours of my life....the account can stay compromised.  Don't know how I'll get my bill though!

LisaTee

This is week 3 of waiting for my email to be reactivated. Have changed password etc and was told it was reactivated. NOT.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Winsgirl - If your mailbox keeps being suspended, it is because we keep detecting spam coming from your mail service.

It is very important that you change your password to something completely different to one that you have used before and isn't easy for a computer to hack with a brute-force attack.

Please read through this link: How to troubleshoot getting hundreds of post master emails

- Shelly

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@LisaTee - When you contacted Tech Support, did they randomly generate the password for your account and/or submit a resume order for your mailbox?

- Shelly

LisaTee

I have had both. They gave me a password...which I then changed myself. And I have had 2 people tell me it'shad a resume order.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

When you changed your password, was it similar or the same as it was prior to being suspended? - Shelly

LisaTee

Not really. I can change it again if it will help.

LisaTee

Ok. Have changed my password again so there's no way it can be blamed for my account not "resuming."

bj44

I have the same problem, it is sending me mad. Three weeks of telsstra bull. Still not fixed. Bernie.

@LisaTee wrote:

Ok. Have changed my password again so there's no way it can be blamed for my account not "resuming."

@LisaTee wrote:

Cross67

Ridiculous! Hours on the phone, validating yourself  dozen times.  Business lost....not happy! Suspended twice in two weeks

Rich2385

I have the same problem and all I get is soothing platitudes from Telstra. It's their problem. They're charging for a service they're not providing. Im advising Telstra that to match their suspension I'll be suspending bill paying till they fix the problem. It seems fair. I'm happy to have the discussion in the Small Claims Court.
redone99

I know you had this problem awhile ago, but my wife and I are currently having same experience. Continually having email suspended through no fault of are own ie. have up to date security on all devices. have been on phone again today for 2hrs with no resolution. And yes also tried to sell me platinum service to fix this. I already pay for this service!

Anyway was your email issue resolved?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now