CrowdSupport®
Level 4: Private Eye

BIGPOND FAKE SUPPORT EMAIL - SPAM

Answered

Hi,

Am writing this to see if anyone else had received a fake email supposedly from Bigpond.

I know its a fake, and I wont respond to it. However I was curious that bigpond allows someone to register an email address with the word bigpond in the name.

The email address is "Bigpond Web Service [Bigpondservice@bigpond.com]". I would have thought that Bigpond would not allow an email to be registered which could be used to trick people into believing the email is official. As you can see both the header (which can be spoofed I know) and the reply email address state bigpond. This is what I have slight concerns about. Why would you be allowed to register the email address: Bigpondservice@bigpond.com ?

Anyway thought I would throw it out there see what anyone thinks, or if anyone has received it, As I said its a fake and I certainly wont be responding to it.

Any thoughts?

The body of the email is as follows:

--

Dear Bigpond Account User:

Your e-mail needs to be updated with our released F-Secure Internet Security 2013 new version of a better resource webmail spam and viruses.

If you have not upgraded your account, click reply and fill in the columns below to send it back so we can update our database account immediately. Failure to update will process your Bigpond account being temporarily blocked or suspended from our network and may not be able to receive or send e-mail due to the update.

Fill the column below:

USERNAME:

PASSWORD:

PHONE NUMBER:

DATE OF BIRTH:

SERVICE ADDRESS ZIP CODE:

We apologize for the inconvenience; we are here to make it look better webmail in 2013.

Bigpond

Case Number: 36515187 Property

Account Security

©2013

As you can tell, obviously a fake, but how did they register Bigpondservice@bigpond.com. ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: BIGPOND FAKE SUPPORT EMAIL - SPAM

Hey Fakestamp,

I'm sorry no-one mentioned this before but I just did a quick search and from what I can see bigpondservice@bigpond.com isn't an email address anyone has managed to setup. Spoofing the from address is relatively easy using SMTP, so normally with these emails will do that since they are trying to get you to give your details to a phishing site. There are other details contained in the header that may help us to work out where the email was sent from and take whatever measures we can to stop them.

-Dylan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 10: Junior Detective

Good catch, I've had a few scam phone calls lately, LOL. I'm surprised the didn't want your credit card details as well lmao.

Highlighted

Hi Fakestamp

Can you please report the email here: Report Misuse of Service   

Thanks

Deanna  

Highlighted

Will do when I get home tonight - cant access it from webmail as its already downloaded to my pc

Cheers

Highlighted

email reported as requested

would still be curious as to how that email address was able to be registered in the first place

There were a number of pointers to me why it was a fake eg bad grammar, requesting certain types of information, lack of embedded logos, the fact it came to a secondary email only and not my main one, however I think that due to the email header and address that some people may be tricked into responding......although would seem that they would only gain access to your email - but details could be used to impersonate you to buy services, your email could be used for Spamming purposes, and just malicious use of your email.  

I wonder, will I get a response from reporting this via the Misuse of Service ?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the callout on this current hoax email, we do have information and other examples of phishing/hoax emails claiming to be from Telstra/BigPond.

From time to time there are also hoax calls claiming to be from Telstra and/or BigPond, further information on these can be found here.

CrowdSurfer - always pays to be extra cautious online....

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Hi,

examples and info are great for anyone who has been reading these posts - I am always extra cautious online, however this info is not what I was actually after and I dont want to mark this as solved until the following can be explained;

How is it possible for someone to register an email address called Bigpondservice@bigpond.com?

If Telstra/Bigpond system allows the use of the word bigpond in an email alias, it seems you are actually facilitating the scammers and phishers ability to create these scams in the first place.

It seems a little lax that you allow this

Highlighted

The examples of scams in previous email (crowdsurfer), where the email address is shown, all have a dodgy @bigpond.com address or online.telstra.com.au - when I say dodgy, they have prefixes like 'info', 'support' 'webmail', 'team'

To set up a dodgy email address you must have an account and these emails are either the main emaill address associated with the account or a secondary. So whether done over the phone, or online, the bigpond/telstra systems are allowing registration of 'dodgy' email accounts - accounts whose sole purpose is to deceive people.

How does this happen?

Why is a filter not in place to stop registration of these types of accounts ?- Hotmail has been doing it for years (not that I use hotmail anymore....lol......it had far more problems than dodgy account registration)

What actions are taken against these perpetrators ? Account closed ? Allowed to register another dodgy account the next day?

Are you considering installing some type of key word filter to stop prefixes being created that would create an 'obvious' association with the company?

I have never been the victim orf a scam, touch wood that I never am. But we were all new to the internet once, and not everyone is cluey to the pitfalls of interacting online.

I can tell you that if I was the victim of a scam, via an official sounding bigpond or Telstra email address, I would certainly be discussing with a lawyer the implications of Telstra facilitating the scam and therefore any liability that would be associated with that responsibility. I would say that it is reasonable and fair that a person with moderate experience of using the internet, would consider these real emails from the organisation that they are claiming to be from.

Just throwing it out there to see what response I get

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey Fakestamp,

I'm sorry no-one mentioned this before but I just did a quick search and from what I can see bigpondservice@bigpond.com isn't an email address anyone has managed to setup. Spoofing the from address is relatively easy using SMTP, so normally with these emails will do that since they are trying to get you to give your details to a phishing site. There are other details contained in the header that may help us to work out where the email was sent from and take whatever measures we can to stop them.

-Dylan

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi,

I knew you could spoof the header (Email Name) and the email address that appears in your inbox

I wasnt aware you could spoof the reply email address though

Ah well, that explains it then

Cheers

Highlighted

Hi Dylan (Moderator)

One last question

Where you say this email address hasnt been setup - are you saying it was 'never' set up or is not currently an 'active' email address.

It was a week from me reporting the email address and your response so was just wondering if Telstra had removed it in that time hence why it wasnt showing up

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The email address does not and never has existed in our system so is not a valid email address. We can therefore be reasonably certain that the address is fake.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

hi Bigpond

I just received this email supposedly from you, Bigpond. Please clarify. It reads like spam.

I have been receiving a HUGE number of spam emails on my bigpond account during the last month. I have changed my password several times and I have put close to 100 spam email addresses in my Spam Rejection Preferences in my email. Still I get about 10 spam every day.

Can Bigpond please improve your service? Thanks.

Dear BigPond Customer,

Telstra BigPond is sending this e-mail to inform you that our service to you could be suspended. This might be due to one of the following reasons ::

• You have changed your billing address. 
  • You have submitted incorrect information during the payment process of your bill.
  • Your credit/debit card has expired.
  • You have not updated your BigPond profile.

What happens next?

To ensure that your service will not be interrupted, we request confirmation and

update of your billing information now by clicking the following link :

If you have already confirmed your billing information then please disregard this message as we are already processing the changes you have made.

See you online soon,

Fiona Hayes
Head of Customer Service and Contact Centres

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi KP03,

That is definitely not a legitimate email. If you haven't already done so, we'd recommend deleting it

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit