Cliff01
Level 2: Rookie

Backing up POP3 email history

Answered

Hi, I've been on POP3 email platform since Telstra emails began. I'm now in the process of migrating my laptop, iphones and ipad to IMAP which have Outlook email on them also. I've moved iphones and ipads(my wife and mine) onto IMAP and that's all good. Only the laptop remains.

In doing this any historical emails on my laptop, Inbox, Sent and Folders that I want to keep will get blown away as I move from hard drive storage of emails  to Telstra mail server. Telstra's suggested solution from their IMAP migration website is to create a back up folder/s in Webmail and move those emails into them ie kept on the mail server. 

I started doing this by first doing a big cull of old emails in my Outlook Inbox, Sent and Folders on my laptop. Then using RULES in Outlook,   Forwarded the remaining contents of my Folders, a Folder at a time, to my own email address. And then once arrived in Webmail dragging them into the Webmail Folders for storage.

At first this seemed to work OK but then I started getting a lot of Send errors from the laptop end with maybe only a few emails getting through. Between say 20 and maybe a 150 emails in each Folder are sent at a time. One big Folder might have a 1000.

The pop up messages for the errors seem to be different.  When I press Send /Receive the transfer process often restarts but is incomplete and causes real confusion in knowing what has got through and what hasnt.

Does anyone know what causes this ?

Does Webmail have an overall size limit per customer on its server ? It seemed strange that the transfer worked at first.

If yes, how do I find out the remaining capacity ?

Is there a better way to get my old pst emails into the new IMAP server environment ? Its really annoying because once I've backed up the old emails, setting up IMAP seems to be quite easy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Backing up POP3 email history

If using outlook on your PCs you should be able to create an backup folder that is not a sub folder of your email account and drag all the emails that you wish to backup into the new folder.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Cliff01

Just found in Webmail, or is it Mail ?, what's the difference - under Settings that I currently only have 106Mb of a 10GB data allowance used. So my forwarded emails aren't hitting some kind of full storage buffer.

Accepted Solution

If using outlook on your PCs you should be able to create an backup folder that is not a sub folder of your email account and drag all the emails that you wish to backup into the new folder.

Highlighted
Cliff01

Thanks for that Supreme Being. I did think of that , but the emails would still be on my laptop hard drive. I'm about to take off caravanning for some months and may want to access some of these older emails from the Telstra mail server on our iphones and/or ipads . I wont be taking the laptop with me as members of family use it also. Something weird is going on with Outlook Rules invocation ie automating the forwarding of the emails to myself - the process starts but then locks up.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now