CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
daniellouwrens
Level 2: Rookie

Bigpond email account on Windows Live mail

Answered

Hi

I have been using Windows Live Mail on my Laptop, when I travel,  for a couple of years to

access my Bigpond.net email account.

It is the Windows Live Mail client  (formerly "Windows Live Mail Desktop")  not webmail.

Today I tried to download emails from my Bigpond.net account and I got an error box, I checked and saw that the account settings have changed, a relative borrowed the Laptop and tried to set up access to their email by changing my account settings.

Now I cannot find the account settings for Bigpond mail using  Windows Live Mail.

Please advise the correct settings.

Appreciate any help with this.

Cheers

Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Bigpond email account on Windows Live mail

Hey daniellouwrens,

If your email has been migrated to the new outlook.com platform then some settings will need to be changed via your mail client. 

Have you already set up this email in the Windows Live email client? If so, its just a matter of changing a few settings, otherwise I can give a step-by-step instruction on how to setup the mail from scratch. 

Just FYI, the settings for the new platform are as follows:

• Incoming POP server: pop3.live.com
  • Incoming POP mail: port 995
  • Outgoing SMTP server: smtp.live.com
  • Outgoing SMTP port: 587 (with TLS [preferred] or SSL Encryption depending on your e mail app)
  • Incoming uses SSL: On (this is required)
  • Outgoing uses SSL: On (this is required)
  • Authentication Outgoing server (SMTP) authentication: Same as incoming mail server

Also, are you able to login directly via the BigPond website? This make sure the password is still correct and active.

Let me know if you need the step by step instructions Smiley Happy

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
41 REPLIES 41
Level 23: Superhero

Oh and I bet they copped an ear full! Why they were stuffing about with your settings just show the inexperience..

Try this link as it'll show a set by step (plus saves on typing) Smiley Wink

http://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/internet-email/email

Cheers,
Dave

daniellouwrens

Hi Dave

there is no setup for Windows Live Mail shown, only Windows mail and they do not work, besides the

instructions are contradictary, at the bottom it says "*Ensure that Secure Password Authentication is not selected"

but the instruction clearly show it is to be select and they give no alternative, one of the three has to be selected.

But I tried all iterations and none worked.

Cheers

Daniel

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey daniellouwrens,

If your email has been migrated to the new outlook.com platform then some settings will need to be changed via your mail client. 

Have you already set up this email in the Windows Live email client? If so, its just a matter of changing a few settings, otherwise I can give a step-by-step instruction on how to setup the mail from scratch. 

Just FYI, the settings for the new platform are as follows:

• Outgoing SMTP port: 587 (with TLS [preferred] or SSL Encryption depending on your e mail app)
  • Authentication Outgoing server (SMTP) authentication: Same as incoming mail server

Also, are you able to login directly via the BigPond website? This make sure the password is still correct and active.

Let me know if you need the step by step instructions Smiley Happy

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

malinmelb
Level 1: Cadet

I am expericencing the same issues . Have checked the settings time and time again but it doesn't matter what I set up I still can't send email but I can recieve . I get the same error when I tried to use thunderbird. I have only just joined Bigpond and am wondering if I have made a misstake . Please help Mal

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Mal,

Can you double-check your settings against the information listed below. Some email software needs the login details to be entered into the Outgoing Server settings as well.

Andgri

- I'm in the same situation as Mal.
- I have Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3555.0308) of Windows Live Mail and the assistance so far from Telstra support has not assisted me.
- I suggest Telstra set this up on a box and try it for themselves.
- Shelly, I'd really appreciate some help please. I hate using the Bigpond webmail page, I hate the advertising on the service I paid for, and I am desperate to get away from it.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I think there may have been some confusion.

We currently have customers on two mail platforms. The original BigPond platform and the new Windows Live/Outlook.com platform.

Regardless of which email program you use to manage your account, those who connect to the original bigPond mail platform can do so with the below settings using these step by step instructions.

• Incoming POP server: mail.bigpond.com
  • Incoming POP mail: port 110
  • Outgoing SMTP server: mail.bigpond.com
  • Outgoing SMTP: port 25
  • Incoming uses SSL: Off (this is required)
  • Outgoing uses SSL: Off (this is required)
  • Authentication Outgoing server (SMTP) authentication: Off

For those who have migrated their account to the new platform hosted by Microsoft, they will need to configure their programs with the below settings using these step by step instructions.

If you continue to have difficulties with accessing your email, but can still do so via webmail, I recommend trying to log in via My Account and changing your email password.

Please note: If you are logged into webmail at the same time your email program is checking mail, this will create an error. Log out of webmail and wait at least 20 minutes before using your email program to check for mail. 

ARGG

If you have NOT been migrated to new mail program under ourlook.com (live) then these settings will work in any MS mail client  (Outlook and Windows live mai tested OK)

• Incoming POP server: mail.bigpond.com
  • Incoming POP mail: port 110 (default)
  • Outgoing SMTP server: mail.bigpond.com
  • Outgoing SMTP port: 95
  • Incoming uses SSL: OFF (this is required)
  • Outgoing uses SSL: OFF (this is required)
  • Authentication Outgoing server (SMTP) authentication: Same as incoming mail server (Must be checked)

I have 4 mail accounts with the big Telco and my primary is yet to be migrated to outllok.com,  the other 3 are all migrated.  How is htis possible,  I mean come on guys,  its been months.

If you want to use web mail and have NOT been migrated then this link will work for web access

http://webmail.bigpond.com/webedge/do/oldlogin

ARGG

If you have NOT been migrated to new mail program under ourlook.com (live) then these settings will work in any MS mail client (Outlook and Windows live mai tested OK)

Incoming POP server: mail.bigpond.com
Incoming POP mail: port 110 (default)
Outgoing SMTP server: mail.bigpond.com
Outgoing SMTP port: 95
Incoming uses SSL: OFF (this is required)
Outgoing uses SSL: OFF (this is required)
Authentication Outgoing server (SMTP) authentication: Same as incoming mail server (Must be checked)

I have 4 mail accounts with the big Telco and my primary is yet to be migrated to outllok.com, the other 3 are all migrated. How is htis possible, I mean come on guys, its been months.

If you want to use web mail and have NOT been migrated then this link will work for web access

ARGG

If you have NOT been migrated to new mail program under ourlook.com (live) then these settings will work in any MS mail client (Outlook and Windows live mailtested OK)

Incoming POP server: mail.bigpond.com
Incoming POP mail: port 110 (default)
Outgoing SMTP server: mail.bigpond.com
Outgoing SMTP port: 95
Incoming uses SSL: OFF (this is required)
Outgoing uses SSL: OFF (this is required)
Authentication Outgoing server (SMTP) authentication: Same as incoming mail server (Must be checked)

I have 4 mail accounts with the big Telco and my primary is yet to be migrated to outllok.com, the other 3 are all migrated. How is this possible, I mean come on guys, its been months.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey ARGG,

We're moving people across to the new platform gradually, so it may have a bit of a delay. However you can 'opt-in' for your main email address here: http://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/extras/#tab-bigpond-email

Brodie

shev

I Have just opened up a new account, when I clicked the help button it took me to my email account, when I clicked configure email, I got taken to my inbox,, found the help I needed here, but would like to know how new to the internet people would get this, pretty slack I think,,I received no emails on these changes,, had no idea this was happening,,we pay for this, I think it should be at least be kept updated,, terrible service ,
Scott75

So is the migration actually still going ahead?  I thought it was all canned at the last annual general meeting.  I've set an additional account last year.  I've had very few problems using non POP3 connections.  Instead opting for either deltasync, the IOS device outlook.com connections and now some email clients that don't have those options but may have IMAP can work. The Webmail works way better than the old BigPond webmail and gives way better features as well. 

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I am not sure, Scott75. I thought that we were still looking at migrations, I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

Regardless, as Brodie mentions above customers are free to request the move at any time.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Warwick

I have two email accounts and when I swap from my primary email to my secondary email it changes the format to live and is then can't log back into the primary account with out clearing my cookies and history can any one explain why this
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Warwick,

We're currently aware of this issue. Signing out and closing the web browser completely should help as well. The engineering team I have spoken to indicate that this is a browser issue.

Brodie

walbjj

i just signed up to cable bigpond and im using windows live mail.

i setup my samsung note 2 email with my new bigpond email ac and it works fine. but on my laptop, i keep getting the damn error messages. no varying configurations and email settings will get rid of it. really annoying

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

What is the error message?

Are you able to receive but not send?

Have you made sure that the account set up on your laptop is IMAP and not POP? I myself struggled to remember to change the drop down box several times due to old habits.

- Shelly

Hikey

Hi there,

It never worked for me to download my emails with those settings. I have mobile broadband and used thunderbird/win7 (brand new NB) and since 6 month mac client (brand new NB). My email was already migrated to Crapsoft. I called telstra several times to fix this issue but have given up.

The service is as soft as micro is crap! It is unbelievable considering the money spent.   

Are there any new (workable) ideas (after more than 1 year) to get this running?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Hikey, 

Are you able to confirm for me what your current settings are? 

-Patrice

Sandav

I have a new account and cannot get my email via Live mail. However, I can read them via web mail (outlook)! I have tried every setup on these pages but none have worked. To say that I am not happy is an understatement.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Sandav, 

I am sorry that you have been experiencing issues with your Live Mail. 

Have you been able to contact our technical support team on 133 933 (open 24x7) so they can investigate this further for you? 

- Patrice 

Doug96

I am in the same boat.  The message I get is that my account is not active.   The Bigpond people tell me that the problem is a their end as I also cannot use my webmail but after a week am still waitinf ror them to do something. 

Thinking of using another carrier - I am trying to run a home business - using gmail for the present.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Doug96,

If your account is not active you will need to contact us on 133 933 or Live Chat, so we can gather more information and let you know why it has been deactivated and how to go about reactivating it.

- Ben D

wotyagot

Hi Support, same problems with windows live mail, has been working fine up till this morning when suddenly I can recieve but not send, when I follow the error message , it seems that I have for some reason been place on on Spamhaus XBL and PBL list, I mangaged to get myself off the XBL but no amount of port configuration can get me off the PBL list, reading throught he blurb, they say that the fault for this is with you people.

What I dont get is why this should suddenly happen and why I cannot remedy the situation, will all be solved if I migrate to the new platform ?.

Regards

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Wotyagot,

We don't have any control over blacklisting. Spamhaus and PBL are 3rd party lists that place your IP on a blacklist if they believe it is the cause of spam. This link should have some information to help you get past this Smiley Happy

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Bigpond-Email-Inc-Windows-Live/I-m-getting-an-Error-related-to...

Brodie

gardenlover

I am so frustrated........I spent almost 2hrs with Telstra IT support last night & no one seems to be able to get me access to emails via windows live mail ...........I have been using windows live mail for many years via another server but changing to bigpond is terrible.........why can't this be fixed????? I also can access emails via webmail but like a previous writer I don't want to do that...........HELP!!!!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi gardenlover, 

I am assuming you are using the free downloadable email program called Windows Live Mail, which is sometimes confused with the on-line WebMail which was originally called Hotmail, then renamed to Windows Live Mail.  This on-line WebMail platform has now been rebadged and renamed, again, to Outlook.com.   That said, I would recommend that you check out the following 2 websites.

1. Our Crowdsupport thread which gives you instructions on how to get your BigPond email settings: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Bigpond-Email-Inc-Windows-Live/How-To-Set-Up-Your-BigPond-Emai...
  2. And this link from Microsoft which gives you information on how to enter your BigPond email settings into the Windows Live Email program:  http://help.outlook.com/en-au/140/gg316699.aspx 

Hope this helps

- Ben D 

gardenlover

your 1st link "how to set up bigpond email...........' only looks @ outlook NOT Windows Live Mail 2011 

2nd link not helpful either as I have done all this

Can you just answer why bigpond is not working on live mail as I have had no problems for years with this email system

Thank you

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi gardenlover,

What error message are you getting when trying to use your BigPond email account on Windows Live Mail 2011? 

- Ben D

PaulPritsis

Thanks Brodie,

Your details work a treat.... wasted over an hour on the phone with tech support and she couldnt work it out... it's the port information that is critical here... standard 110 and 25 do not work.

You're a life saver!

FingalHavenMurr

What settings are needed to use Live Mail with BigPond

@daniellouwrens wrote:

Hi

I have been using Windows Live Mail on my Laptop, when I travel,  for a couple of years to

access my Bigpond.net email account.

It is the Windows Live Mail client  (formerly "Windows Live Mail Desktop")  not webmail.

Today I tried to download emails from my Bigpond.net account and I got an error box, I checked and saw that the account settings have changed, a relative borrowed the Laptop and tried to set up access to their email by changing my account settings.

Now I cannot find the account settings for Bigpond mail using  Windows Live Mail.

Please advise the correct settings.

Appreciate any help with this.

Cheers

Daniel

bigcol1

I know this is old, but I too have an abiding hatred of Telstra's webmail facility.

Just back from a few weeks in Europe, and it reminded me how useless, slow and annoying Webmail is!!!!!

Been putting up with this for many years, every time we travel

Every time I travel ANYWHERE, using a hotel wifi or a non-bigpond internet service at a friends house, I can receive emails no probs, but I can never SEND.

Its to do with the outgoing mail server.

So I have to resort to webmail to send emails, its HORRIBLE.

My only option would be to change to a gmail or some other email server, and hope I dont get this issue from them.

Have spoken to Bigpond several times, they either don't understand or just tell me to use webmail, which is rubbbish to use.

I have had my bigpond.net.au address for years for business, all my clients have it, so I don't really want to change.

But I cant stand webmail any more

Help please !!!!!

Big Col

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Big Col, 

We have made some changes since the post above yours.  You should be able to send email from anywhere, without having to change the outgoing mail server or restoring to webmail.

Use your email address and password to log into the following 'Email Status Checker,  http://www.telstra.com/emailservercheck , it will provide you with a set of updated email configuration settings.  Make sure these are changed in all the devices you use email on.

Hope this helps

Ben

ltrott13

we had to have the computer worked on at Harvey |Norman and I have lost my Live mail log on . can you please advise what i need to do to reinstate it so as to be able to get emails  Regards L:en Trott

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Itrott12, 

Unless it's been uninstalled, it should still be on there. Has the shortcut simply been removed? 

Should be able to find it in the programs list. 

HNKlein

This helped my situation; I added my bigpond account to windows live and I had no emails at all coming in and no original emails as well. My other question would be is how to get my personal folders back : - /

Still a great help though thank you so much!!

Nicky

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey HNKlein,

I'm really glad to hear this helped Smiley Happy In regards to the Personal emails, where did they originally exist? Via Webmail or your Email client?

Brodie

Frances2076

I have tried to setup using the instructions, watching the video tryinh to login to messaging.bigpond.com i get an Ünexpected error

Checking email status i get " Your mailbox is currently being updated."

I have never had problems before , also people sending me emails to my new bigpond account get bounce backs, even after ensuring right address

pgasnt

There is a lot of talk about migration to new Microsoft/Outlook platforms. I have been trying to get my e-mail working for weeks now and the Telstra techs on the phone in numerous calls are saying that Microsoft is no longer going to support Bigpond/Telstra. They say that the bigpond.com addresses are changing to telstra.com and this is going through the MyConnect server platform. The trouble is that MyConnect has had "technical difficulties" since March 16, which is why I can't access my e-mail.

My problem originally started with outlook asking for username and password, then not accepting them after no problems for years.

Have had several posts in this forum but have not received a helpful response.

I'd be interested to know what the hell the truth is!

almac01

Yes, I have been setting up a new computer (Windows 10) for a friend.

I can login to BigPond using Chrome but when setting up with Outlook 2016 or Live Mail I get error messages.

• Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP): The connection to the server failed.

I can use the webmail to read mail but there are 2 bigpond accounts which means logging  off one account then logging in to the second accoutn or run a second web browser to have both emails loading by default.. 

Not a good situation.

Can anyone help plese?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now